Home

Ian what do you think about analog stick passing for 2010? I think it would be GREAT!

This is a discussion on Ian what do you think about analog stick passing for 2010? I think it would be GREAT! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #25
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Ian what do you think about analog stick passing for 2010? I think it would be GR

NFL fever's analog trigger passing would probably work better....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
Rookie

orhymes's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Ian what do you think about analog stick passing for 2010? I think it would be GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'll be the first to say I like it. Did you put this in the suggestions thread?

I say keep working on it O. Take everyone's criticism into consideration & think of what could make it work.

For those concerned with WRs in close proximity, they may be close when you go to throw, but they're not heading in the same direction. Since the analog stick would be used to aim, aim the stick in the direction the intended receiver is heading. So, for the crossing route example, if you want to hit the WR that's going from right to left, you'd aim to the left.

This reminds me a little of a system used in another game where you threw to a spot on the field I belive using a cursor of some sort. I've seen folks here say they loved that system. Hopefully someone will remember which game that was. This is like the advanced, analog version of that.

I think this could be the passing challenge some folks are looking for if Orhymes puts some more thought into it. It puts passing completely in your hands. Instead of relying on the game to decide when you will be accurate or not, the analog stick will control exactly where the ball will go.

Edit: The more I think about this, the better it is. Pulling back on the trigger could not only pull the QBs arm back, but it could set his body to throw in that direction... well the opposite direction. Throwing to WRs, pump faking & throwing the ball away could all be mapped to the analog stick, freeing up buttons for other stuff.

I only see 2 problems. How would we control distance vs power? Maybe distance could be controlled by how far back you pull the trigger and power could be how fast you move it forward.

Secondly, it would probably be very difficult to control how far you want to throw. How far back would you pull the stick for a 10 yard pass vs a 20 yard pass? How about a 10 yard pass over the middle vs a 10 yard pass to the sidelines. The CPU would have to help which may cause problems when WRs are running in the same direction, but at different depths. Flood-type plays where you might have a back, TE & WR all running outs to the same side at different depths could be an issue. You have some work to do O.
First and foremost I want to say thank you because I think you actually see the vision I'm proposing here. As for controlling how far you want to throw I just thought of a GREAT idea (at least I hope its great) This feature would be activated by holding the right trigger. While the trigger is held the right analog stick controls your arms movement and a RELEASE of the trigger releases the ball. Analog stick back then forwards (to resting position, then release trigger) would give you 50% power (which would be 50% of you quarterbacks THP based on stats) from there it would be a sliding scale. Pressing the stick all the way up after going down is 100%.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think this new method of passing will be easy in the least bit, at first, but once mastered I think it will be an amazing way to play. It will actually take practice from the players it will be a skill to master not abuse.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #27
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orhymes
First and foremost I want to say thank you because I think you actually see the vision I'm proposing here. As for controlling how far you want to throw I just thought of a GREAT idea (at least I hope its great) This feature would be activated by holding the right trigger. While the trigger is held the right analog stick controls your arms movement and a RELEASE of the trigger releases the ball. Analog stick back then forwards (to resting position, then release trigger) would give you 50% power (which would be 50% of you quarterbacks THP based on stats) from there it would be a sliding scale. Pressing the stick all the way up after going down is 100%.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think this new method of passing will be easy in the least bit, at first, but once mastered I think it will be an amazing way to play. It will actually take practice from the players it will be a skill to master not abuse.
I like the idea of analog passing. I especially like the idea of a physics based system where you're throwing to a spot on the field rather than the current system of throwing on a string to a WR. The problem with a physics based, analog passing game is that throwing to a spot on the field requires a ridiculous amount of user-controlled accuracy.

Can you imagine the sheer amount of motorskill required to pick up a 3 man blitz PLUS control the movement of the QB's arm?

I would much rather have EA fine tune what they have now.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #28
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I believe the Backbreaker Dev Team is considering this type of control scheme. Personally if it were they only control scheme I would no longer play the game. I think it would be terrible. Don't screw with a system that works, this would ruin the game.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #29
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Just don't see it working. Too many variables in it. Press this, press that, hold down, hold a little, press stick but halfway for this or all the way for that. That's just too much for fast paced game like football where you have to make really quick decisions when playing QB in a videogame. If it aint broke don't fix it. EA tried to fix last gen Madden that really wasn't broken and look where we're at now?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
Rookie

orhymes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Just don't see it working. Too many variables in it. Press this, press that, hold down, hold a little, press stick but halfway for this or all the way for that. That's just too much for fast paced game like football where you have to make really quick decisions when playing QB in a videogame. If it aint broke don't fix it. EA tried to fix last gen Madden that really wasn't broken and look where we're at now?
How is it too fast paced for football... real quarterbacks do it everyday (adjust their arm speed and power accordingly). And it really isn't that complicated at all...

1. Hold right trigger

2. move arm with analog stick

3. release r trigger..

this seems very easy to me
Old 08-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #31
Rookie

orhymes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I believe the Backbreaker Dev Team is considering this type of control scheme. Personally if it were they only control scheme I would no longer play the game. I think it would be terrible. Don't screw with a system that works, this would ruin the game.
if the system worked perfectly I wouldn't even be bringing this up... are you telling me you are absolutely confident that with the game on the line you can lob a ball over a linebacker to one of your receivers. If you say yes PLEASE tell me what it is that you do that i don't
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #32
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by orhymes
How is it too fast paced for football... real quarterbacks do it everyday (adjust their arm speed and power accordingly). And it really isn't that complicated at all...

1. Hold right trigger

2. move arm with analog stick

3. release r trigger..

this seems very easy to me
dude, dont tell me you're actually comparing a real human, professional quarterback to a videogame??!! A videogame's response and control can be totally out of whack. And We all know Madden doesnt have the greatest response and control in the world. I mean, just move your D lineman and he glides across the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »