Home

Now I Feel Gypped...

This is a discussion on Now I Feel Gypped... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Now I Feel Gypped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
*NOTE* This is off topic to the real content of the thread. This is just for informational purposes only, not starting any kind of flame war here or anything else. I'm not questioning anyone's racial motives or ideas.

A little etymology lesson, the term "gyp" is a derogatory term that's short for gypsy. The idea that to "be gypped" is what would happen if you made a deal with one of the Roma people--you would be cheated. Use of the word is parallel to if someone said "I was jewed out of five dollars". That's a phrase you would hardly ever hear from most educated people, however the same negative wording is used against another ethnic group.

Unfortunately, the use of the word "gypped" has crept into seemingly common usage over the years. It's a word that does have racial undertones that people should be aware of.

Hopefully this post will make someone think before they use the term. Someone could find it highly offensive.
You're right, he probably should have said he got Jewed.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
*NOTE* This is off topic to the real content of the thread. This is just for informational purposes only, not starting any kind of flame war here or anything else. I'm not questioning anyone's racial motives or ideas.

A little etymology lesson, the term "gyp" is a derogatory term that's short for gypsy. The idea that to "be gypped" is what would happen if you made a deal with one of the Roma people--you would be cheated. Use of the word is parallel to if someone said "I was jewed out of five dollars". That's a phrase you would hardly ever hear from most educated people, however the same negative wording is used against another ethnic group.

Unfortunately, the use of the word "gypped" has crept into seemingly common usage over the years. It's a word that does have racial undertones that people should be aware of.

Hopefully this post will make someone think before they use the term. Someone could find it highly offensive.
I know what the word means, and where it is derived from...However, unlike Jews, Gypsy folk are more or less a 'people' that are known to be thieves...A more modern word might be traveller over the Term Gypsy. I wouldn't term a Gypsy as ethnic so much as it is a label...Does that make sense? But you are right that I meant I felt 'cheated' or to a lesser degree 'ripped-off'...Which is usually what people are left feeling after travelling Gypsies come through.

If anyone is or was offended by use of the term, then you're too sensitive. But you can replace the term Gypped with "I feel as though I have been swindled by a group of travelling thieves whose sole purpose is to make gains off of me, and my gullibility". Better?

Last edited by BIGROC; 08-29-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
I hope so...For all of us. It just seems like making 2 games is completely unnecessary, especially when one of the games just takes all the good stuff that was removed from Madden and sold as a stand alone so consumers are forced (almost) to spend double to get the experience that should be had in Madden itself.

I didn't know they put the guy in charge of HC 09 onto the Madden 2010 team...It's nice to know, but seems like it is another case of EA trying to say "next year we will nail it"...They've been doing that now for the last 3 years.
That's what I don't get.

Why make TWO games when they could have added just 1/2 of the Head Coach features into Franchise Mode and BLOWN us away. I bought the CE to make custom plays, might play Head COach some, but won't get into it like Madden because after the off-season I want to PLAY THE GAME with my new players.

Hell, if they'd just FIXED the things broken in Franchise (progression, scouting, terrible Madden draft classes, over-rated NCAA imports, etc.) I would have been happy.

I am hoping that Donny Moore can add some of Head Coaches depth into Madden.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
lol, I like that, awesome. I always liked "EA Ports: It's in the game... you bought last year." too.

Anyways, you're off on a few things here. Namely; nothing in Head Coach was pulled from Madden except the in-game engine. The franchise mode surrounding it is built from the ground up, and Madden has never even approached the depth of Head Coach.

In fact, Madden has consistently had a pretty pitiful franchise mode on both current and next gen. Head Coach's career mode is, very simply, the best franchise mode in console gaming history.
IIRC the last Madden to release on the Xbox and PS2 right before the 360 was released had a pretty solid franchise mode (especially for that time)...And since then the franchise mode hasn't even begun to compete with that. Maybe i misstated that they just 'took' the franchise from Madden...Obviously in order for something to be taken from one place it would have had to exist there first....No? Hopefully EA will scrap the notion of creating 2 games that are basically 2 halves of what should be one experience. (I hope that makes sense outside of my head)

I know I'll regret this because it is a last resort kind of statement, but I'd go so far as to pay extra to have a 'complete' franchise mode...I think there are more than a few folks who would pay, maybe 80 bucks, for a Madden game that had the depth of HC 09s experience coupled with the gameplay of Madden on one disc.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
That's what I don't get.

Why make TWO games when they could have added just 1/2 of the Head Coach features into Franchise Mode and BLOWN us away. I bought the CE to make custom plays, might play Head COach some, but won't get into it like Madden because after the off-season I want to PLAY THE GAME with my new players.

Hell, if they'd just FIXED the things broken in Franchise (progression, scouting, terrible Madden draft classes, over-rated NCAA imports, etc.) I would have been happy.

I am hoping that Donny Moore can add some of Head Coaches depth into Madden.
You would think that EA would understand that even though there are plenty of casual, non sim-oriented Madden players, that the "hardcore" franchise junkies shouldn't be forced to buy another game to round out the experience...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »