Home

EA/Madden must decide...

This is a discussion on EA/Madden must decide... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: EA/Madden must decide...

Soxfan and ODogg make very good points.

I understand gamers looking for a sim experience are disappointed, and I can understand why. But Madden isn't geared toward you; it likely never will be.

As for the complaints about a lack of quality in Madden since EA secured the NFL license... I don't believe it's true. Madden '09 is the best playing version in years, in my opinion, and there were plenty of complaints about Madden in 2004 and 2005.

The game isn't getting worse; there are no longer other options.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 9

My post was less about 2ks footprint on videogame football, and more about the lack of depth given to the user when it comes to features that should, and in the past have been fleshed out. Ever since the 'next-gen' of hardware came out EA has taken giant steps backwards in some places, and made strides in others.

I won't deny that at the end of the day Madden plays well, and is certainly the best effort, gameplay-wise, EA has put forward since the 360/PS3 generation started. That said, stripping down the franchise, and pushing features or modes that seem half hearted efforts is frustrating.

If you want to play Madden and have the same amount of control as you have in 09, that's great, for you...For me though, I want to have an actual franchise mode, where my performance, both on the field, and off the field make or break me. The fact that EA offers the kind of depth I'd love to have in another game, that you can't actually play football in is what infuriates me most. It isn't that they can't do it, they just choose not to. Why include superstar mode, but make franchise a bare bones affair? The no unified user stats thing really annoys me, especially because I'm forced to look at those worthless rings, which took more effort and have an ad for Jostens every time I boot Madden up. I have no issue with in game ads, but when they come at the expense of the experience, I mind.

Another feature that recieved no real treatment, and is supposed to be such a huge addition is the online leagues. I've already explained my view on this, so I'm not going to just repeat it...But it is dissapointing to say the least. My mentioning of 2k in respect to this should be obvious, as the blueprint for online leagues is right here. Even the Xbox Sports Network offered a superior product, and that's a sad fact in 2008.

I understand EA is in it to make money, and clearly I have no issues with forking over money, but I'd like a little more value. Why is it that sim players should suffer because EA is trying to straddle a fine line? Instead of just not including options for people like myself, make the game a user defined experience, giving me as much or as little control over franchise mode. If they can put "Stupid-Star" in the game, you can't tell me they couldn't put a "season" mode in for people who don't want to get their hands dirty.

I'm not mad EA has exclusivity with the NFL, and that they bought the ESPN license, it's what they've done with them that sucks. How is it that Head Coach has NFL Network stuff in it, but Madden gets none? What have they done with the ESPN brand? They took a big step putting together some decent presentation features in Madden with Collinsworth and the Back-Track, but there is still a ways to go. I know there are plenty of people who buy Madden to play (I hate to use the term) casually...But I honestly believe that the people like me are a bigger base that EA should be more concerned with.

I don't think I'd be nearly as irritated or upset if there was no NFL Head Coach out...Because it just proves they can, but won't. I don't care that 2k doesn't make football games anymore...My favorite football game was Madden 06 on the original Xbox...EA could release that game to me with updated rosters and I'd be happy...It offered the depth, accessibility, and fun. (I'm also a huge fan of the vision cone...That really took it to a whole different level when playing offline).
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich
...is this an Arcade or Sim game. Because it is clear to me that they want to appeal to both groups (obviously this is EA) but the game while certainly successful from a marketing position, clearly falters in a number of areas from both a simulation and arcade perspective.

If you want to cater to the "madden tourney" group and the hype and media that comes from NFL players playing 3 minute quarter turbo tourney games then scrap franchise, superstar and any other sim trappings and spend your resources on animations, graphics and gameplay.

If you want to be a simulation then add some depth, fix the AI (gameplay and GM logic), fix franchise and lets make this game much better than it is.

But think about it, this game cannot be coded to provide the best 3 min tourney games and then also be able to sim or cpu/cpu a "realistic" season or dynasty.

Madden needs to figure out what it needs to be and dedicate itself to being the best in that genre. I cannot help but to think that no competition for an NFL license any longer only hurts the consumer because we will buy madden no matter what they do with it.
I totally agree. I also think that there is a big enough market (well, maybe) for EA to release both an arcade NFL game and a sim NFL game. Then again, isn't NFL Steet supposed to be their arcade football game?

Or......

In Madden itself maybe there could be a setting where you could choose Arcade or Sim/Realistic for the type of game you want to play. Might be too much work to do something like this though.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

seriously wonder who is in charge at EA. i think its been summed up that all we want is a game that plays realistic. EA needs to spend time on gameplay and AI and quit messing with superstar, backtrack vision cone, and all the other BS... and for crying out loud fix online leagues.

for all the things they do right they really screwed up some of the most fundamental things that gamers want, leagues with 32 teams and a real 16 game season. who made the decision to have to play 32 games. they need to be canned.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
I totally agree. I also think that there is a big enough market (well, maybe) for EA to release both an arcade NFL game and a sim NFL game. Then again, isn't NFL Steet supposed to be their arcade football game?

Or......

In Madden itself maybe there could be a setting where you could choose Arcade or Sim/Realistic for the type of game you want to play. Might be too much work to do something like this though.
Well, I don't see how it's that hard to give you an "arcade vs sim" option or give users enough control to be able to acomplish whatever balance they chose. I really don't think any of the "mainstream" Madden fans are completely arcade minded (thinking "Blitz: The League" type arcade. I just think the majority want a fair representation of the NFL that is fun to pick up and play. has EA accomplished this? The answer is yes, mostly.

I think there has been a small shift towards realistic football (from gameplay aspects) in 09 and I think that Ian (and what is now his crew) are largely responsible for that. By reaching out towards "our kind" of player they are showing a desire to appease the more simulation minded gamers in Madden. I think what seems to get lost in all the hollow complaints about how "Madden will never change" and all the kickback from the classic "wait until next year" rhetoric is that 09 is the first legitimate shift towards a more simulation based experience. Does that mean Madden is now a complete sim? No, and the reality is that it will likely never be one. As I said before: Madden, like it or not, is now a brand of football.

What it does mean, however, is that Madden-given the right amount of user control-should be able to become a reasonably accurate sim experience if the 09 foundation is built upon. I expect 2010 to be a much improved game from a fundamental standpoint. I would also hope that presentation and immersion (meaning fleshing out features like franchise and superstar along with real and dynamic in-game/in-season presentation features) would get a strong working base in 2010 as well.

I think what people forget is that these things take time. Yes, they should have had ample time to put out a truly "next gen" experience. The ball, for whatever reason, was dropped. It would appear (I won't use definites...we'll see how 2010 builds off 09 before I "crown" anyone) that Ian, Phill, and crew have picked it up and have finally found something productive to do with it. Thankfully reaonable criticism from sites such as this have fueled such attention from the devs and is leading to an opportunity for a more "sim" experience. Continued feedback and constructive input as to what we want should only make it better. I have fairly high expectations for 2010 (as I hope the dev team does themselves) and am hopeful they finally have the direction Madden has needed for some time now. This game CAN effectively be both "casual" and "sim"...with the right focus by the devs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #22
Swiitch U? lol

Rawdeal28's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, I don't see how it's that hard to give you an "arcade vs sim" option or give users enough control to be able to acomplish whatever balance they chose. I really don't think any of the "mainstream" Madden fans are completely arcade minded (thinking "Blitz: The League" type arcade. I just think the majority want a fair representation of the NFL that is fun to pick up and play. has EA accomplished this? The answer is yes, mostly.

I think there has been a small shift towards realistic football (from gameplay aspects) in 09 and I think that Ian (and what is now his crew) are largely responsible for that. By reaching out towards "our kind" of player they are showing a desire to appease the more simulation minded gamers in Madden. I think what seems to get lost in all the hollow complaints about how "Madden will never change" and all the kickback from the classic "wait until next year" rhetoric is that 09 is the first legitimate shift towards a more simulation based experience. Does that mean Madden is now a complete sim? No, and the reality is that it will likely never be one. As I said before: Madden, like it or not, is now a brand of football.

What it does mean, however, is that Madden-given the right amount of user control-should be able to become a reasonably accurate sim experience if the 09 foundation is built upon. I expect 2010 to be a much improved game from a fundamental standpoint. I would also hope that presentation and immersion (meaning fleshing out features like franchise and superstar along with real and dynamic in-game/in-season presentation features) would get a strong working base in 2010 as well.

I think what people forget is that these things take time. Yes, they should have had ample time to put out a truly "next gen" experience. The ball, for whatever reason, was dropped. It would appear (I won't use definites...we'll see how 2010 builds off 09 before I "crown" anyone) that Ian, Phill, and crew have picked it up and have finally found something productive to do with it. Thankfully reaonable criticism from sites such as this have fueled such attention from the devs and is leading to an opportunity for a more "sim" experience. Continued feedback and constructive input as to what we want should only make it better. I have fairly high expectations for 2010 (as I hope the dev team does themselves) and am hopeful they finally have the direction Madden has needed for some time now. This game CAN effectively be both "casual" and "sim"...with the right focus by the devs.
that is one hell of a post bro! i like it!
I'm sure there's plenty of prostitutes you could pay if you really want vd.
Quote:
yea but will they take psn cards
Depends on what area of a hooker you would use to redeem them.

lol
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 AM   #23
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
What kills the game for me on 360 is the lack of vibration. For some reason, MS screwed everyone by not emulating it correctly, thus we're stuck with no rumble. For me, that's a game breaker...and if I play it, I pull out my original Xbox.
Thats funny, the 1st thing I do whenever I get a game is turn off the vibration...I just find it annoying and useless...but Im old school I guess...there was no vibrartion on Sega, Atari etc
Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #24
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
lol @ stop hogging the NFL, that sums it up right there. You guys must think that EA works for the government, and they owe you something. I will tell you guys something, EA is not the same thing as UNICEF, They don't owe you S***. You as a Consumer speak with your wallet, don't like it, don't buy it. I for one can see past the negatives of Madden and play it for what it is.

This EA Vs 2K Crap is old and tired, Go back and play 2K5 if you don't like this years madden. Some of you guys sound like those people who complained about Starwars and how it wasn't up to par.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »