Home

Terrible O-Line blocking plagues the running game...needs to be fixed.

This is a discussion on Terrible O-Line blocking plagues the running game...needs to be fixed. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Terrible O-Line blocking plagues the running game...needs to be fixed.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. There just isn't enough horizontal movement on the los in video games. Lateral movement in zone schemes (which are the predominant schemes in the NFL) is what makes the schemes successful. There is way to much of a stalemate between ol and dl to get zone runs to work. The idea of the zone scheme is the ability to consistently gain 3-6 yards, with very few negative gains and also few big gains. The play works by attacking the defense's gap control responsibilities, waiting for the over-pursuit, then cutting up behind the over-pursuing linebacker. All the developers have to do is watch some game tape from the endzone camera. More often than not, the center will end up wider than the tight ends original alignment, where as in the game, rarely will a lineman move more than one man laterally. Compounding the problem this year is that you are not able to control the speed of the runningback, he is either full speed or full sprint, but good running is about patience in the backfield, especially in the zone schemes. It also seems to me that as soon as you take control of the RB's movement, the defense sheds blocks and gets to you. I have found success by letting the computer control the RB until he crosses the los, but this takes some fun out of the game.

The gap scheme run plays have been improved considerably, but still need some tweaking, but trap schemes still have no resemblance to real-life counter parts, not to mention that wham schemes are non-existent.

Pass blocking is improved in my opinion, but slide protection still needs a little tweaking. Most NFL teams do not full slide protect, instead, half of the line slides, and the other half blocks man. I don't know if it will show up, but I'll try to diagram true slide.

.................w.......m........s.....ss
.................e.......n......t.........r
..................lt...lg..c..rg...rt..te
...........................q
............................r

half slide=lt and lg resp for e and w, c blocks n, rg blocks t, rt blocks r, te releases, r blocks m to sam to ss

I like the full slide, but a lot of times, the tackle away from the slide will step inside, and leave the de go, which is very bad.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

I kind of like the running in this game. I average about 4.1 a carry which is about right. I've only ever broke one long one, and a few 12-15 yarders. It's a real challenge, and cheap sometimes, but overall the result if a much more realistic effect.

Passing on the other hand....
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Rookie

ive run for 100 + yards on all madden just using iso and counter plays. its to easy and cheap. i get a few losses here and there, but it aint enough. the AI on defense is stupid as balls. notice on a big run play of yours, look at the safeties and corners. if they were in a zone, they dont react to the runner until 10 yards down the field, its pathetic
Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 8

i hav yet to expierence a 100 yard rushing game and iv had this game since release. best rushing game iv had has been 80 yards
Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
rofl, dude thats you, that aint the game. You cannot expect to have 4 seconds in the pocket every passing down. i agree 100% with everyone here, but the problem aint that bad. sometimes they just completely stand there frozne and let the d-line go right past them for the sack.

the AI on both sides is just pathetic this year. really embarrasing
learn to count... the QB was sacked and hit the ground after only 2 full seconds. Thats it. That means he had less than 2 seconds in the pocket. How is this him? Just cuz the video is 6 seconds long does not mean the QB was in the pocket that long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
Rookie

i wasnt talkin to him, i was talkin to the guy that says he had been sacked 50 times already. i think the o-line is just as ******** as every here, but some people exagerate it and only wanna blame the o-line when the ball needs to get out quicker.

i didnt even notice the video tell you mentioned it
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #23
MVP

VanillaGorilla's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't see the problem in pass blocking. I have ample time to throw the ball and I use the Raiders. I've gone plenty of games without being sacked.

EDIT: Videos

Helps when the CPU only rushes 3 guys....
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #24
Rookie

you notice in his last video you can tell hes trying to lead the reciever to the left but it goes back to the middle? i cannot tell you how many picks ive thrown because of that. this needs to be fixed as well

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »