Home

I maybe in the minority...but I LOVE the running game.

This is a discussion on I maybe in the minority...but I LOVE the running game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: I maybe in the minority...but I LOVE the running game.

Hmm after reading this thread im not sure if it's just me, but maybe i'm no good at running?

I don't really like it this year.

I've tried many different ways of running aswell.

1. No sprint button, just wait slowly for gaps to open and sprint through. What will usually happen is someone will get to me before I can make a decision on where to go (although I understand this probably happens in real life) or when I find a gap i'll sprint through but then as some have said they'll get off the blocker and tackle me before I can even get the likes of 5 yards.

Most games I finish with an average of 2.7 yards and that's with the Vikings. But my skill says im an All-Madden rusher, my bar is full!

Although I have tried running on like pro difficulty and it makes things much more realistic I think. I guess it depends what difficulty everyone is using?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 21

The running game is done nice and can be very effective once you understand whats going on. The controls are responsive and that coupled with the ability to break tackles makes running alot of fun. Its also not over done to the point were its a unfair disadvantage to the defense.

There is a secret to the oline blocking that I see some are not understanding and its why they are having problems running.

"If you see a number in front of you, follow them. If you see hands run from them."

"For power backs you dont start "running" until you have made contact."
Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Using All-Pro with Heelfans sliders.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #20
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

I agree that it all depends on the difficulty you are playing on. Personally I am using custom difficulty and am playing at

14 pass o-5 run o-12 pass d-16 run d

I am liking the run game on these levels. I have found that anything over a 5 slider in the run game and the cpu is really cheap in their tactics- they will basically break any block the second you get space or touch a special move button. At a slider level of 5 I have gotten my most realistic stats, and running seams perfect. I have to wait to get through holes, I do not touch the sprint button until I am in space, and I actually have to use my pass game to open up the rush.

I like the rushing in this game..at a slider level of 5. EA really needs to figure out a way to make rushing more difficult next year, without making the cpu magically shed blocks and use psychic powers to know where you are going. Overall I like the rushing though on my settings, and am very happy with this game.

Edit: I thought I would just say that on my custom difficulty good backs like LT will average 100-150yards on poor teams, and around 100 on good teams, backs like Ryan Grant will average 80 yards or so , and backs like Kevin Smith in Detroit will average maybe 40-60 yards or so . Against great defensive teams like Pitt, or New England, these numbers go down of course, but they always hover in the realm of realism- just like someone else said, it's nice that my backs in my franchise aren't going to break the 2000 yard barrier. I will be lucky to top 1000 with Kevin Smith of the Lions this year.

Last edited by Bumble14; 09-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 21

The Dline does not "magicly shed blocks". It only looks that way to those who are not obeying the commandment:

"If you see a number in front of you, follow them. If you see hands run from them."

Once this becomes clear, thou shalt not fear any engaged lineman.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
rofl you people make me laugh. WOW. why do you think its so rewarding to run the ball? why do you think its so hard to run the ball? because the AI cheats thats why. its been explained, as soon as your neard a defender he magically sheds his blocker and takes you down. you cant squeez into tight holes as you can in real life without being engaged in a tackle animation. yea you can get out of it but thats not the point.

edit: your blockers never block the right guy, well sometimes they do, but look at a replay you could of broken off a big run, chances are your blocker fled the scene and blocked a guy who was already out of the play.

im all for running to be more difficult, but the way they have it set up is a joke. believe me i dont suck at running the ball. i break long gains all the time in all madden. look at the vid i posted in the video thread. its just ******** is all.
Dude - I mentioned the shortcomings and certainly not denying them. I just am saying I enjoy the end result.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #23
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
The Dline does not "magicly shed blocks". It only looks that way to those who are not obeying the commandment:

Once this becomes clear, thou shalt not fear any engaged lineman.
See I disagree. Every try running a sweep outside, or pitch? Watch as the second you get to the outside and touch sprint the d linemen shed their blocks in unison to track you down for a 2 yard loss.

The problem with you commandment is that when you do see hands and try to run from them you are tracked down. The defense agressively tracks you down with super speed and always will hit stick you if they can. It's not as easy as you are saying- they cpu will magically shed blocks and run you down from behind.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
See I disagree. Every try running a sweep outside, or pitch? Watch as the second you get to the outside and touch sprint the d linemen shed their blocks in unison to track you down for a 2 yard loss.

The problem with you commandment is that when you do see hands and try to run from them you are tracked down. The defense agressively tracks you down with super speed and always will hit stick you if they can. It's not as easy as you are saying- they cpu will magically shed blocks and run you down from behind.
I agree with the sprint part. I've started to not hit sprint at all when I run now and I'm doing ok. I'm not breaking any big runs but I'm averaging 4 yards a carry. Not great, but much better than the 2 or less yards a carry I was getting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »