Home

**Official Developer Q&A Thread**

This is a discussion on **Official Developer Q&A Thread** within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: **Official Developer Q&A Thread**

Here are my issues with the game, in order of importance:

The lack of Camera angles limits gameplay
In the next gen versions we are limited to 1 camera angle. the classic and action cam are basically the same zoomed in angle, only one of them shakes now and then. tons of people used madden long as a default camera view in the past. now they have no option which shows them the entire field. A game that limits your ability on how you view it, is indeed a limited game. almost every other sports title, including NG EA titles, has multiple views. why not madden?

The lack of control options limits gameplay
Video games, or any software, is only as good as its input device. We are limited to one set of controls on next Gen. and those controls differ dramatically from what alot of us have been using since madden 2001. As mentioned above, almost every sports title, including other NG EA titles, has several controller configuration options. why not madden? especially when the one configuration is so different from the classic set of controls? I understand the need to cater towards tourney style player who need R2 as the trigger cause they run around and chuck with fast QBs. but there should be a classic config option.

The overcomplexity of menu structures and feature input hurts the game.
Like input, your game is only going to be as good as its GUI. In the past, madden has been great going with a K.I.S.S. approach to its menus. they were well organized, limited to as few as necessary, and easy and intuitive to navigate.

The new menus are bulky and overly complex. i think the best example of this is playing somone on your online friends list. to do this there are alot of steps required.

Game modes--> online--> My online--> my player Hub--> Hold down L2+ down arrow to select address book--> hold down R2+ down arrow to select type of friends to display.

to compare, this is how it was down on the PS2 online the last few years.

Hit Circle--> highlight your buddy.

This overcomplexity is seen all throughout the madden menus. there is no more 'trigger scrolling' through data menus as we now have the hold R2+down' to scroll and select. too much onDemand thinking here has made easy navigation overly complex.

Online league setup is a black eye for EA

League play is an embarrassment. especially since their strategy was go slow with it. they didn't go with online franchise like in the other EA sports titles, for the specific reason of 'getting leagues right' and adding on to that to ensure a good online franchise experience.

well thus far its a miserable failure. here are some of the major flaws:

Scheduling - you are REQUIRED to play EVER team in your league once. meaning if you have a 32 team league, everyone has a 31 game schedule. thats like 2 full NFL seasons.

Trades - no multi player trades. you can make 50 1 for 1 deals, but no 2 for 2 deals. this defies logic and makes trading more difficult then it ought to be

challenging your league opponents - this process is more of the 'clunkiness' mentioned earlier. to dos o you need to go to league, go to league standings, click on a team, and challenge. you cant challenge them from any other area. and you cant accept the invite in any other area. you should be able t challenge/accept from anywhere.

Stats and standings - the stats and standings are very weak. there is horrible presentation of league leaders and league standings. its tough to even find overall league leaders, and it isnt seperated by category ... like there isnt a seperate page for rushing and recieving... its all under offense.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
MVP

tanis38's Arena

OVR: 9

Ian, I understand you guys are getting ready for some new mo-cap sessions. That is great news. Please tell me that you plan to scrap ALL the current QB animations (especially the dropback animation) and replace with some totally new, realistic ones. Please.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

How come when ever you score a game winning TD as time runs out, you have to kick the PAT? I wouldnt call this a serious problem but it is annoying, it kinda takes away from the moment...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXcusefan
How come when ever you score a game winning TD as time runs out, you have to kick the PAT? I wouldnt call this a serious problem but it is annoying, it kinda takes away from the moment...
That's the way it is in the NFL. The only time you don't have to kick the extra point is in overtime.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside63
I might as well give it a try here, cause I cant send Ian any PM

As not from the United States, one of my biggest concerns with this games is, that it is region locked. That means, there is NO NCAA as PAL Version, which means NO real draftclasses for Madden as well. Especially, because the PAL Version does not even have the option of importing a draftclass - not really suprising, because there is no NCAA

Same goes with Head Coach - no PAL Version available

Ian, I know the PAL region might not be the biggest market for EA - at least concerning the typical american sports like football and baseball - but though there are a lot of fans all over europe and australia (PAL region as well I think?).

Why not giving them the chance to play these games as well? I wouldnt mind to buy/order this games directly from EA - even with larger postage fees. If just I could have a collectors edition as well, I would be extremly happy. But unless I would buy a NTSC-U 360, no chance this year.

So, I would be more than glad, if you could think this over at EA. I think a regionfree version of Madden/HC and probably even MLB games wouldnt do any harm in any way...
I'll like to second that. NFL in particular is growing in the PAL region, particularly here in the UK. We had the Dolphins v Giants at Wembley last October, and we now have the Saints and Chargers coming over next month. And in a few years time Dublin will host the Navy v Notre Dame college game, and this exposure would be a good time to open up the NCAA games by making them region free on the Xbox 360, other games have done this (I have MLB 2K8 whose Japanese version works on the PAL system)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
That's the way it is in the NFL. The only time you don't have to kick the extra point is in overtime.
No it isnt, didnt you watch the San Diego- Carolina game. Carolina scored and won the game with no time left and they didnt kick the PAT.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXcusefan
No it isnt, didnt you watch the San Diego- Carolina game. Carolina scored and won the game with no time left and they didnt kick the PAT.
Yes they did:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...&override=true
Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #24
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
well dont i feel stupid. I watched that game and the broadcast didnt even show it. My bad...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »