Home

Manually making aggressive or spectacular catches.

This is a discussion on Manually making aggressive or spectacular catches. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Manually making aggressive or spectacular catches.

I can't seem to do this. Before I made this thread, I took the Vikings with Sidney Rice and went into practice mode. I ran the same play against the dolphins defense over and over. It was set up for Rice to do a streak straight down the field and the corner to play man to man coverage. This way I could create a jump ball opportunity over and over.

Well, needless to say, this was not effective. I don't expect Rice to win more than a few jump balls here and there, but to not even jump for a ball is ridiculous. It seems that whether I tap the button or hold it, the WR just keeps running flat footed and prepares to make a catch while the DB just swats it down.

I play NCAA a lot, and I love the way you can just leap up and snag a ball with a tall receiver, but in Madden I can't even get close. I read the manual to get the general idea, but I can't get a WR to leave the ground for a ball to save my life.

What kind of tips or tricks do you guys have that would allow me to take Moss, Calvin Johnson, etc... and actually create a red zone mismatch?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Rookie

Murkurial's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Manually making aggressive or spectacular catches.

What difficulty do you play on. Don't quote me on this, but I recall someone here saying that on Pro and above, the game doesn't allow you to strafe and jump with the WRs. I actually haven't tried it to find out if that's the case or not, but I play on All-Madden and I've certainly noticed that unlike NCAA the L-trigger does nothing. You just have to stop sprinting and then like try and hover around the catch reticle and hope you get lucky (which hardly ever happens) I'm sure some "expert" will come in though and tell you how easy it is in a second.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

I play with custom sliders bro.

I also use the "hardcore" mode if that matters.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Pro

steez3's Arena

OVR: 11

I feel your pain dude, Ive been saying the same exact thing you said since I got the game. I just successfully got a jump catch in the back of the endzone with Limas Sweed and before the game started I was messing with the settings and I checked out the weapons settings and and I turned on the "weapons Mismatch" setting, Im thinking maybe this has something to do with it but since ive only done it once I cant say for sure but I think its worth a shot........But considering you play on hardcore im not sure if thats gonna help you seeing as hardcore dont have the weapons activated.....might wanna check it out in a play now game or something tho
Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

I've been labbing for the past few hours on trying to throw fades and jump balls, and the only way to do it is to use custom sliders(or play on Pro)and use the strafe button. I was finally able to throw some BEAUTIFUL fades to Brandon Marshall with Nnamdi Asomugha on him in man coverage. Using the strafe coupled with some precision passing and the right amount of touch, I was winning jump balls on fades at a realistic pace. Seems the only way they were being defended was either a bad throw buy me, or a big hit by Nnamdi. Hopefully EA addresses this next year intelligently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
I can't seem to do this. Before I made this thread, I took the Vikings with Sidney Rice and went into practice mode. I ran the same play against the dolphins defense over and over. It was set up for Rice to do a streak straight down the field and the corner to play man to man coverage. This way I could create a jump ball opportunity over and over.

Well, needless to say, this was not effective. I don't expect Rice to win more than a few jump balls here and there, but to not even jump for a ball is ridiculous. It seems that whether I tap the button or hold it, the WR just keeps running flat footed and prepares to make a catch while the DB just swats it down.

I play NCAA a lot, and I love the way you can just leap up and snag a ball with a tall receiver, but in Madden I can't even get close. I read the manual to get the general idea, but I can't get a WR to leave the ground for a ball to save my life.

What kind of tips or tricks do you guys have that would allow me to take Moss, Calvin Johnson, etc... and actually create a red zone mismatch?
They have removed the ability in this years game on AllPro and All Madden. This is due to all of the cheesers from last year that just threw the ball up to Moss the whole game no matter what the coverage. Moss was able to catch the ball in double coverage more times than not last year and it pissed alot of ppl off.

EA's fix was to remove Moss's (all WR) natrual ability to go up for jump balls in order to cut back on the cheese. Some here seem to think this brings realizm to the game.

User catching jump balls are now non exsitant. (see my post)
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

when i try the reciever always puts both of his hands at his feet and leans over while the DB jumps up for the ball. its either intercepted or incomplete 100% of the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3
Icon14 Re: Manually making aggressive or spectacular catches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth
They have removed the ability in this years game on AllPro and All Madden. This is due to all of the cheesers from last year that just threw the ball up to Moss the whole game no matter what the coverage. Moss was able to catch the ball in double coverage more times than not last year and it pissed alot of ppl off.

EA's fix was to remove Moss's (all WR) natrual ability to go up for jump balls in order to cut back on the cheese. Some here seem to think this brings realizm to the game.

User catching jump balls are now non exsitant. (see my post)
i think im starting finally see the light and get the EA logic. just this morning i banged my foot and it was sore, so I got an axe and chopped the thing off. all better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »