Home

Advice on running?

This is a discussion on Advice on running? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Advice on running?

Alright, I swore a couple years ago that I was done with Madden but got so amped up for HC that I picked up the collector's edition. Besides, I figure I'm going to have to semi-retire from the yearly release titles shortly since I'm going to become a dad in about 6 wks and expect that video game time will take a serious hit so I figured I might as well get it one last time. Anyway, I'm nearly ready to put this game on the shelf but I'm hoping someone can save this for me...

Has anyone been able to run the ball consistently with any success? In my entire season with the Bengals, I think I had one run of 10+ yds...definitely not more than 4-5 though. In most games, my longest run is 2 yds. I initially abused the turbo button and noticed a little improvement once I stopped using it but that didn't do much. I almost always try to hit the holes as they open but it seems like the second I move toward it, three DL's magically come off their blocks to smother me. Now I know that the Bengals don't exactly have the best ground game but seriously, does that sound right?

If it helps, I play on default Pro and always use Ask Madden (except when he suggests a punt from my opp's 30 yd line or something completely idiotic) so I don't learn "money" plays. Obviously, I'm not all that great with the sticks and have found that, in the past, this was a decent setting for me to feel like the games feel realistic enough, win or lose. Also, I did the Madden IQ/My Skill thing at first but it just didn't feel right. I've heard that save file may be an issue but don't know how to delete it.

I'm sure that I'll get the usual "You suck" or "Get better" suggestions but if you have any constructive suggestions, I'd be happy to try them. I know there was a thread about this before and I did try those techniques (that's actually why I stopped using turbo) but am still getting overly frustrated. I've run better than this on All-Pro in the past and have reached the All-Madden level on the RB drills in the past so I don't think it's completely due to my "sucking." Anyway, thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
MVP

zeroice's Arena

OVR: 50
Icon14 Re: Advice on running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
Alright, I swore a couple years ago that I was done with Madden but got so amped up for HC that I picked up the collector's edition. Besides, I figure I'm going to have to semi-retire from the yearly release titles shortly since I'm going to become a dad in about 6 wks and expect that video game time will take a serious hit so I figured I might as well get it one last time. Anyway, I'm nearly ready to put this game on the shelf but I'm hoping someone can save this for me...

Has anyone been able to run the ball consistently with any success? In my entire season with the Bengals, I think I had one run of 10+ yds...definitely not more than 4-5 though. In most games, my longest run is 2 yds. I initially abused the turbo button and noticed a little improvement once I stopped using it but that didn't do much. I almost always try to hit the holes as they open but it seems like the second I move toward it, three DL's magically come off their blocks to smother me. Now I know that the Bengals don't exactly have the best ground game but seriously, does that sound right?

If it helps, I play on default Pro and always use Ask Madden (except when he suggests a punt from my opp's 30 yd line or something completely idiotic) so I don't learn "money" plays. Obviously, I'm not all that great with the sticks and have found that, in the past, this was a decent setting for me to feel like the games feel realistic enough, win or lose. Also, I did the Madden IQ/My Skill thing at first but it just didn't feel right. I've heard that save file may be an issue but don't know how to delete it.

I'm sure that I'll get the usual "You suck" or "Get better" suggestions but if you have any constructive suggestions, I'd be happy to try them. I know there was a thread about this before and I did try those techniques (that's actually why I stopped using turbo) but am still getting overly frustrated. I've run better than this on All-Pro in the past and have reached the All-Madden level on the RB drills in the past so I don't think it's completely due to my "sucking." Anyway, thoughts?
KNow what type of back and linmen you have. Also see what type of offensive playbook you are using. Unless its the default setting with the team you are using. Example if you use the EAGLES PLAYBOOK YOUR RUNNING BACK WILL SEEM like he has more speed et..If you use the Browns playbook it will semm mor of a powerscheme..But that is usually how it works. Just know if your lineman are finesse or power lineman, dont groupa set of lineman with different characteristics. But anyway just practice and dont try to run outside all the time with a back slower than a rating of 92 in the speed department, or you might have to do a ton of those fullback up the middle and a few slants to set up those big runs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »