Home

Can we get an inside explanation of why we are still seeing so much player warp?

This is a discussion on Can we get an inside explanation of why we are still seeing so much player warp? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #73
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Can we get an inside explanation of why we are still seeing so much player warp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
You can only make a game so realisitc and AI contolled. I mean you are controlling a QB. You have the abilty to make QBs play much better then they do in real life already since there is no reflection of human QB controlled vision.

If it's a pass that the receiver shouldn't be able to catch, then the human controlled shouldn't be able to as well because it's just not physically possible for the reciver. It doesn't have to be a cheat if physics are still in play for user control.
This is a very good assessment. I agree, disable user catches, there really isn't a good reason to have this in the game.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #74
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Can we get an inside explanation of why we are still seeing so much player warp?

I want there to be a threat of the deep ball. This may have been addressed already but here's my problem. Let's say for instance I have the Bears and I send Hester on a streak and I've got 1 on 1 coverage, no safety in sight. The CB covering is 88 SPD. Now I know that Hester is the greatest WR but with 99 SPD I should have him burnt by 30 yrds or so in the route. The CB shouldn't be right on my heels and definitely shouldn't be able to jump 5 ft in the air to swat the ball down when he is running full speed. This is my biggest complaint in the passing game. (Ball trajectory and 60" vertical DB's)

edit: Since the devs are asking for video evidence then here it is. Not exactly the same scenario but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2sPE6t8qbI

and one of the guys comment pretty much said what I just said. "i really wish 2K was still alowed to make games, cuz this game really pisses me off, like when **** like this happens, when you burn someone then the guy you just burned flies over and intercepts/blocks/tackles you and its bull****, like my team is the bears, so i play with them everygame, hester has like a 99-100 rating, and ill be going full speed and their are linemen gaining on him and as for the madden iq to help make the game better, it sucks and dont work for ****, game is trash"

Last edited by oChaos_Nine; 09-16-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 5

After reading this thread and watching the initial video, I decided to go back and watch other videos that were posted by apexisfree. He points out some key issues with the game which may or may not be known. The one that really caught my eye is this one. Hopefully this is something that is being looked at for Madden 2010.

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wq4V7YSpbM

Thanks for listening.
I love to see EA devs and animators being so open and honest with all of us. It is a step in the right direction to making Madden 2010 the best it can be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Agile moving into a Scrum system for the gameplay development group... waterfall does not allow us to make decisions fast enough when you are talking new tech and gameplay.
I now LOVE EA.

Agile will make this entire development process better because you only work on whats important and side crap features get pushed to the side. (for those that don't know what or why I was asking)

Just curious, are we the #1 product owner or are the shareholders??? (just let me know when I go too far ) If I ever leave my company I think it will be difficult to go through waterfall where I have to wait months for requirements.

Now it is up to your product owners to give you good stories.... wait... I need to start getting you guys good stories!

Thanks and good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #77
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
PS I vote AGAINST removing user controlled catches Simon. And my vote counts a lot now.
Booo!...Thank you tho for replying and coming to the board listening and replying that really means alot and i'm not being sarcastic
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #78
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
You can only make a game so realisitc and AI contolled. I mean you are controlling a QB. You have the abilty to make QBs play much better then they do in real life already since there is no reflection of human QB controlled vision.

If it's a pass that the receiver shouldn't be able to catch, then the human controlled shouldn't be able to as well because it's just not physically possible for the reciver. It doesn't have to be a cheat if physics are still in play for user control.

The problem is that it has always been possible for the User controlled receiver/defender to make plays that are physically impossible. Whether its line of sight, cutting off routes, jet packing, among others, they always give the User too much leeway for success: defying physics, absorbing too much physical punishment, limited to no fatigue.

The fun factor component that is there for the majority (unfortunately) of their customers, cripples the chance for the utilization of sound fundamental football strategies.

Instead people have to use Madden, "game the game" strategies.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #79
MVP

BezO's Arena

Damn! How'd I miss this?!?

Quote:
The new catch and wrap systems were sorely-needed tech / "engine" re-writes that take more than one cycle to see full maturity out of. I'm very confident these issues will be much easier to solve in the coming cycle.
At what point do you catch up? There are other sorely needed tech re-writes (learn something new every day). Will there always be collateral damage like this?

Quote:
I personally prefer to have smaller more experienced and focused teams. I'll take 3 engineers that know football inside and out over 6 that don't any day.
In the spefic case of Madden, where there are several areas of gameplay for example, is it not more productive to divide those elements between more programmers? Someone working on tackling, another on blocking, one on WR/DB play, one on playbooks, ect. I get the impression the team is big enough for a few people at most to work on gameplay in its entirety.

How do you all divide up the work?

Quote:
Unfortunately you have to "match" and play the catch animation well before the ball gets to the players hand. The animation has to start playing a good 1/4 to 1/2 second before the ball gets there, or else you'd have some severe popping going on.
I though Lint was talking more about the predetermined element of the catch. In the initial vid, the QB put the ball too far ahead of the WR. A typical bad pass. But instead of an incompletion, the WR warps for the catch. Why not just allow the incompletion? Why is the warp necessary? Ideally, what would you have happen in that vid instead of the warp, considering everything prior happens exactly as it did? More appropriate catch animation, unsuccessful attempt animation...?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #80
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
What also needs to be added is:

1. The Wr should NEVER(and the Rock means NEVER) look for the ball when he is not in the part of his route where he should be looking for the ball.

2. The Streak is the only route where a WR is in "looking for ball/user control mode." right after having ran at least 3 yards down field.
Quote:
Your last 2 points are oft-discussed. I think if we do it we need to make it an option...would you agree? I think a lot of people enjoy the fact that they can throw in a panic while they're getting blitzed and still have a chance of completing the pass.
Like others have said, the whole point of putting pressure on a QB is to get him to throw in a panic. If the WR breaks perfectly on the QB's early, panicked release, what's the point?

IMO, this type of pampering is partly what makes users search so hard for cheese. Maybe if folks could get pressure conventionally, and that pressure produced the appropriate results, they wouldn't spend so much time looking for nano blitzes.

When you all make these coddling decisions, do you ever consider relagating them to the lower levels so the more experienced players can enjoy a more realistic experience on the higher levels?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »