Home

QB doesn't slide, he passes

This is a discussion on QB doesn't slide, he passes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12
QB doesn't slide, he passes

I know this following is in the next patch

Quote:
8. Deep ball glitch: Some enterprising gamers found a way to throw a deep ball while crossing the LOS and hit a receiver wide open at a decent rate. We addressed this by making sure the DB will no longer break on the ball when the QB crosses the line while throwing.

Quote:
10. Penalty sliders ineffective: A common complaint from the hardcore community was the lack of effect from the penalty sliders. We increased these substantially for patch 2.

Will either of those fix the problem where the game allows you to pass the ball after crossing the LOS without getting a penalty? I didn't even know you could pass after crossing the LOS until last night. I was playing a Play Now game, on a passing play I had no one open so I tried to scramble to try and pick up a few yards. I got about 3 yards past the LOS, defenders were closing in on me, so I tap X (Xbox 360) to slide. Well, he doesn't slide, he threw the ball off his back foot 38 yards down field to the X receiver who was in triple coverage for a completed pass. One, he shouldn't have even been able to complete that, it should have either been, dropped, knocked down, intercepted, or way off the mark. Secondly, and the most important, it should have been a penalty for passing the ball after crossing the LOS.

I watched the replay to double check, and he was definitely 3 yards past LOS, and what an ugly pass that was miraculously completed. Will one of those fixes I posted up top fix this problem? Why the heck didn't he slide? This needs to be fixed for sure.

Later on in that game I successfully slid with the QB after about a 6 or 7 yard gain, so maybe the game is just not recognizing where the LOS is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: QB doesn't slide, he passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by utorde
I know this following is in the next patch

Will either of those fix the problem where the game allows you to pass the ball after crossing the LOS without getting a penalty? I didn't even know you could pass after crossing the LOS until last night. I was playing a Play Now game, on a passing play I had no one open so I tried to scramble to try and pick up a few yards. I got about 3 yards past the LOS, defenders were closing in on me, so I tap X (Xbox 360) to slide. Well, he doesn't slide, he threw the ball off his back foot 38 yards down field to the X receiver who was in triple coverage for a completed pass. One, he shouldn't have even been able to complete that, it should have either been, dropped, knocked down, intercepted, or way off the mark. Secondly, and the most important, it should have been a penalty for passing the ball after crossing the LOS.

I watched the replay to double check, and he was definitely 3 yards past LOS, and what an ugly pass that was miraculously completed. Will one of those fixes I posted up top fix this problem? Why the heck didn't he slide? This needs to be fixed for sure.

Later on in that game I successfully slid with the QB after about a 6 or 7 yard gain, so maybe the game is just not recognizing where the LOS is.
No, won't be fixed, only compensated by not allowing the reciever to get wide open. Pretty poor "fix" if you ask me!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

It's no big deal, it's just another bug in Madden.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
It's no big deal, it's just another bug in Madden.
NO BIG DEAL???? It is a freaking RULE in the NFL....how can such a simple thing as this be missed in creating the game, then seen as "no big deal?" wow........
Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
how can such a simple thing as this be missed in creating the game

^^ Yup, the players have zero awareness of both the line of scrimage and the sidelines = Huge Problem! Unfortunately for Madden'09, players recognizing these two crucial areas of the field is 100% necessary to the game even somewhat resembling the NFL.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew

Last edited by jvaccaro; 09-15-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
No, won't be fixed, only compensated by not allowing the reciever to get wide open. Pretty poor "fix" if you ask me!

why EA wouldnt just make it a penalty is beyond me...i wish someone would explain this..
Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 13

This is ian (madden 09 lead designer discussing this issue and the the fix in the patch:
Quote:
LOS LIMIT
The line of scrimmage (LOS) limit is useless during gameplay. The quarterback can scramble from the backfield while being pressured, pass the line of scrimmage and complete a pass to his receiver without any penalty. More devastating to the defense is this: the defensive back (DB) breaks coverage and leave the receiver wide open, causing the QB to complete a deep pass.
To combat this glitch, Senior Designer Cummings states: "We addressed this by making sure the DB will no longer break on the ball when the QB crosses the line while throwing."
This means that the QB crossing the line of scrimmage (even though it is a violation/penalty) will remain in the gameplay, while the defensive back stay with his man and not break coverage.
Ian -"He makes this sound like a massive issue when it is in fact not. This is extremely hard to reproduce and was resolved in the best way possible..."

Quote:
To combat this unrealistic glitch, Cummings states: "Not only are we fixing this play (i.e. we aren't removing it)..."
Rather than eliminating this glitch altogether, he makes a clear contradictory statement by stating it will not be removed but will be fixed, which makes one wonder if it will be altered at all.

Ian- "Total BS. This glitch is getting eliminated, despite this totally slanted negativity and skepticism."

So as you can see, it appears they are taking this out of the game... let's wait and see.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

what is the QB slide button on PS3?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »