Home

Looking for tips on which player to conrtol on defense

This is a discussion on Looking for tips on which player to conrtol on defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Looking for tips on which player to control on defense

Does anyone have any tips on what the best position to play on D is? I'm getting pretty bored with the defense in this game because I feel like I just pick a play and watch what happens. I'd appreciate any advice or explanations as far as what you guys are doing on D. I know there are some great players here, so would love to get some insight on what you all do.

I typically feel like it would be best to control a lineman. That way, I don't take players out of position. I'm finding this to be pretty futile in Madden, though, since I feel like I get locked into a block animation and very very rarely does doing any of the lineman moves work. I play as the Pats, so will often use Seymour or Wilfork and try pressing RB (360 version) for a power move and it doesn't really do anything, so it gets pretty boring playing this position. I never get sacks manually controlling someone on the line against the AI.

I've tried LBs and safeties, but I'm finding myself doing more harm than good. I can kind of just float around in the zone, but if it's a man to man play, I end up being worse than the AI would be at covering someone, so I almost always give up a big pass play or overpursue on the run, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by born_bad; 09-20-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Looking for tips on which player to conrtol on defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
Does anyone have any tips on what the best position to play on D is? I'm getting pretty bored with the defense in this game because I feel like I just pick a play and watch what happens. I'd appreciate any advice or explanations as far as what you guys are doing on D. I know there are some great players here, so would love to get some insight on what you all do.

I typically feel like it would be best to control a lineman. That way, I don't take players out of position. I'm finding this to be pretty futile in Madden, though, since I feel like I get locked into a block animation and very very rarely does doing any of the lineman moves work. I play as the Pats, so will often use Seymour or Wilfork and try pressing RB (360 version) for a power move and it doesn't really do anything, so it gets pretty boring playing this position. I never get sacks manually controlling someone on the line against the AI.

I've tried LBs and safeties, but I'm finding myself doing more harm than good. I can kind of just float around in the zone, but if it's a man to man play, I end up being worse than the AI would be at covering someone, so I almost always give up a big pass play or overpursue on the run, etc.

Thanks for any input.
Hilarious. Could have written this just myself. Right now, I'll mainly leave the AI doing the job so I do no harm
Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Looking for tips on which player to control on defense

I love to play as Rodney Harrison in the box to support the run. This works best when showing blitz in a cover 3, and using the safety set to the yellow underneath zone that other LBs are also assigned to. For man coverage, I'll call some WR double coverage and use that safety to blitz the C gap or roam the middle of the field looking for picks.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I play D line for the first 5 passing plays to get an idea of how the person plays before moving to safety and taking away the main player. My picks usually come from me spotting an underneath route and cutting in front for the INT. Not always safe of course as most people know that if I am manually controlling the safety, they pass that way hoping for me to make a mistake. I do make mistakes, but most of the time I am pretty sure I frustrate other players when their usually easy 10 yard completions get intercepted.

Funny thing is my record is 5 - 20 with a 40% DNF. Whats the point of playing cheesers?

By the time I get online its about 05:00am EST, I live in NZ.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

vs. player
- Be the safety on most downs (excluding man 2 man blitzes)
- Be any linebacker on passing downs

vs. cpu
- SUPER SIM TILL CHANGE POSSESSION cuz robo qb has ruin single player for me. I can play defense well but when you call a good blitz and your guys get through, to see a qb throw the perfect pass off his back foot to the only guy open, gets boring quickly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I only play online but i typically use a D End just because the Majority of players scramble outside. If he is a pocket passer i will use a Middle Linebacker.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

I suggest man-to-man coverage and select whichever guy is guarding the fullback or 2nd tight end. If they pass block, you are free to roam and cover anyone else, such as a receiver.

If they go into a pass route, they are usually slower than your LB or DB. If the receiver goes off the screen, I usually press the "change player" button and it will usually change me into a DL. I let the computer finish guarding the receiver off the screen because, well, you can't see your player.

I also suggest to use double coverage plays if you want to practice man coverage on a receiver. If you mess up, the other CPU player usually can handle the play as if he was on his own.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r
I play D line for the first 5 passing plays to get an idea of how the person plays before moving to safety and taking away the main player. My picks usually come from me spotting an underneath route and cutting in front for the INT. Not always safe of course as most people know that if I am manually controlling the safety, they pass that way hoping for me to make a mistake. I do make mistakes, but most of the time I am pretty sure I frustrate other players when their usually easy 10 yard completions get intercepted.

Funny thing is my record is 5 - 20 with a 40% DNF. Whats the point of playing cheesers?

By the time I get online its about 05:00am EST, I live in NZ.
You're no better than a cheeser...

why quit so many games?

It's really lame to be beating someone 14-0 in the first half only to have them quit... then I have 2 choices... don't get the win and only get partial stats/points or play the cpu... both are lame, if I wanted to play the cpu I wouldn't have been online in the first place and obviously I want the win so usually I just get stuck running up the score on the CPU...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »