Home

IAN Video Proof of what NEEDS to be changed about the passing game

This is a discussion on IAN Video Proof of what NEEDS to be changed about the passing game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: IAN Video Proof of what NEEDS to be changed about the passing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
I think it would be easy enough to make it so the receiver can't come back and react to this terrible pass, but what about user-controlled guys? You'd have a very noticeable advantage over the CPU right? And we can't just turn off user-controlled catching (though I know some folks have suggested that)...sorry...it's still a video game and that control has been there for 20 years.
Sad to see the status quo trumps logic. Come on Ian, this should NEVER be possible. If this doesn't convince you that user controlled routes need to be turned off, nothing will.

Notice, I didn't say user catching, but user routes is the culprit here.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Just to confirm...the WR (Walker) was NOT user controlled?

I think it would be easy enough to make it so the receiver can't come back and react to this terrible pass, but what about user-controlled guys? You'd have a very noticeable advantage over the CPU right? And we can't just turn off user-controlled catching (though I know some folks have suggested that)...sorry...it's still a video game and that control has been there for 20 years.

Maybe we could force the receiver to play some sort of direction change transition? Or a delay on user control (i.e. you can switch to him but you can't make any directional changes for a full second or something)? Any other thoughts from you guys?
I never control my Rec, Walker should have kept running his route and the ball should have fell incomplete. Could this be fixed for those of us that DO NOT change to the rec. Obviously he knew the ball was thrown and defied the laws of physics and caught the ball. How hard of a fix is this? Also is it possible I think when you have errant throws and the rec not warping to the ball would ad so much more realism
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

When i paused every few seconds to see where the ball was in respect to the player, the route seemed fine. When the quarter arm was pulled back he made his cut left and then when the ball was about just over half way to the wr he cut back to hte right. His cuts were extremely fast (which is unrealistic) is the only thing i see wrong with it imo.

The one thing that would concern me more is how accurately the qb threw the ball with a db in his face. I think that should be more focused on, because there is so many times that i have almost got to qb and he has thrown a perfect pass down the field just in the nick of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
That is the key right there. There should be some deceleration, a stop (cut) and he would have to accelerate in the other direction. As it is, there isn't any transition, he just 'snaps' in the other direction.

An occasional plant and slip would be cool too in that scenerio.
I didn't even interpreet that that way. Hell yeah! The lack of phyisics & appropriate animations are at the root of many problems in this game. Direction changing animations should not be limited to "user routes". They need to be in for ALL changes in direction, user & CPU controlled.

But direction changing animations are desparately needed for routes. Getting in & out of breaks is the main difference between bad, good & great route runners. If WRs actually gathered themselves before a break, EA wouldn't need to inflate the speed of good route running, but not so fast WRs. And they wouldn't have to deflate the speed of fast, but not so good route running WRs. Better route runners would simply need less gathering steps before a break, allowing them to get more separation, despite their lack speed.

And proper change of direction animations would just make the game look so much better.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjD989
When i paused every few seconds to see where the ball was in respect to the player, the route seemed fine. When the quarter arm was pulled back he made his cut left and then when the ball was about just over half way to the wr he cut back to hte right. His cuts were extremely fast (which is unrealistic) is the only thing i see wrong with it imo.
It doesn't bother you that the WRs mysteriously knew the QB threw the ball early and made his break 5 yards before he should've?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It doesn't bother you that the WRs mysteriously knew the QB threw the ball early and made his break 5 yards before he should've?
Maybe I am missing something. You tell me where he should have started to break on his route. I would say most deep routes are considered around 15-25 yard mark. He hiked the ball on the 30-31 yard line. The receiver first broke left at around the 44 yard line and then went right and caught it around the 50 for about a 20 yard gain. Of course there are flaws like the wr keeping his speed constant during his route. There should be acceleration/deceleration and better animation as others have mentioned.

Ok i think you know what you meant to say. Your saying because he pushed the pass button it initiated his original cut the left? So would this happen if pushed the pass button at the 5 yard line he would make his cut left? If thats the case then we def have problem.

Last edited by ProjD989; 10-01-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 11

Ian this isn't about user catching, I think you may have misunderstood. What the problem is here is players reacting to a pass without ever seeing it. Walker should have ran his out and then checked to see if the ball was en route, instead he cuts left for his out, then changes direction (which is another issue all together) to his right and makes the reception. This isn't a rare occurrence, it happens almost every play. Ian I suggest that you turn on Madden and go into practice mode to test this, recievers react to passes without needing to see them.

Maybe a partial solution would be to change the Awareness stat into Vision and somehow tie it in to how well they can see an incoming pass. I don't have a problem with recievers reacting to passes, but I do have a problem with receivers change their route to a pass they would have never seen.

Like someone else said, we never see simply incomplete passes, this is true. It feels like when a pass is incomplete it was either dropped by a receiver or a DB swatted it down. For me personally, it feels like someone will always be able to get to the ball when I throw it, and that's not realistic either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjD989
Maybe I am missing something. You tell me where he should have started to break on his route. I would say most deep routes are considered around 15-25 yard mark. He hiked the ball on the 30-31 yard line. The receiver first broke left at around the 44 yard line and then went right and caught it around the 50 for about a 20 yard gain. Of course there are flaws like the wr keeping his speed constant during his route. There should be acceleration/deceleration and better animation as others have mentioned.

Ok i think you know what you meant to say. Your saying because he pushed the pass button it initiated his original cut the left? So would this happen if pushed the pass button at the 5 yard line he would make his cut left? If thats the case then we def have problem.
The problem was that he was running an out route--then he came out of that break and turned and caught the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »