Home

After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days....

This is a discussion on After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days....

....I find myself more drawn to the PS2 version. Thats right. Now let me say this off the bat, its not that I think the PS3 is a bad game, because in my opinion its not, in fact I think its a good game, I just feel as though the PS2 version is a more complete game. How so you may ask? Well lets get something else out there. The PS2 version can't compete in terms of graphics or animations. Thats a given. And the franchise mode in both versions is pretty lame, although I would give the slight nod to the PS2 version only because of player progression in preseason and the fact that I can see position battles in the preseason. I know, pretty minute huh?

But on the field, the PS2 version stands above the PS3. The atmosphere for one is more enticing, given the refs on the field, the chain gang, the crowd, the grass stains during non weather games, the dirt infields during the first few weeks of the season, and the animated coaches. Again, its minute, but it really draws you in. And to be quite honest, I enjoy listening to Madden and Michaels call the game vs Collinsworth and Hammond, even though M&M's commentary has been recycled for many, many years.

But aside from the "fluff", the core gameplay is more solid. Fatigue, the ability to have player matchups, the ability to shade defenders inside or out to better guard slants and/or out patterns, smart zones on defense(being able to have your zone defenders "guard" the first down line) the ability of the QB avoidance, the cpu challenging plays, and seeing passes go awry and/or be dropped are really welcomed and once you play the older versions, you quickly realize how much you are missing them. Robo QB, as people have termed it, still seems the same in the PS2 as the PS3, although the user is given more weapons to counteract. At least, I guess given the complaints I've seen.

This isn't meant to bash the PS3 version nor meant to be used as a springboard to bash the next gen versions and EA, although we all know it will and which is why I was hesitant to post this at all. But I felt it could be useful to Ian and others to see what a fan of EA football fan thinks about the comparison between the two versions.

Anyhow, I'll stop here and let other discuss/debate my "findings" and hopefully this thread can stay mature and maybe offer some valuable feedback in regards to what a person like me is looking for in the PS3 version that it doesn't have yet, but really added to the atmosphere of the PS2 version. Who knows.

But please, lets not turn this thread hostile. If anyone has any specific questions about the PS2 version or would like to know more info on what I feel is better/worse, feel free to ask away. But I will answer one question that people may ask. Yes, I will and am still playing the PS3 version and yes, I now own both versions of the game. Ok, maybe I answered two questions.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 10-04-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
....I find myself more drawn to the PS2 version. Thats right. Now let me say this off the bat, its not that I think the PS3 is a bad game, because in my opinion its not, in fact I think its a good game, I just feel as though the PS2 version is a more complete game. How so you may ask? Well lets get something else out there. The PS2 version can't compete in terms of graphics or animations. Thats a given. And the franchise mode in both versions is pretty lame, although I would give the slight nod to the PS2 version only because of player progression in preseason and the fact that I can see position battles in the preseason. I know, pretty minute huh?

But on the field, the PS2 version stands above the PS3. The atmosphere for one is more enticing, given the refs on the field, the chain gang, the crowd, the grass stains during non weather games, the dirt infields during the first few weeks of the season, and the animated coaches. Again, its minute, but it really draws you in. And to be quite honest, I enjoy listening to Madden and Michaels call the game vs Collinsworth and Hammond, even though M&M's commentary has been recycled for many, many years.

But aside from the "fluff", the core gameplay is more solid. Fatigue, the ability to have player matchups, the ability to shade defenders inside or out to better guard slants and/or out patterns, smart zones on defense(being able to have your zone defenders "guard" the first down line) the ability of the QB avoidance, the cpu challenging plays, and seeing passes go awry and/or be dropped are really welcomed and once you play the older versions, you quickly realize how much you are missing them. Robo QB, as people have termed it, still seems the same in the PS2 as the PS3, although the user is given more weapons to counteract. At least, I guess given the complaints I've seen.

This isn't meant to bash the PS3 version nor meant to be used as a springboard to bash the next gen versions and EA, although we all know it will and which is why I was hesitant to post this at all. But I felt it could be useful to Ian and others to see what a fan of EA football fan thinks about the comparison between the two versions.

Anyhow, I'll stop here and let other discuss/debate my "findings" and hopefully this thread can stay mature and maybe offer some valuable feedback in regards to what a person like me is looking for in the PS3 version that it doesn't have yet, but really added to the atmosphere of the PS2 version. Who knows.

But please, lets not turn this thread hostile. If anyone has any specific questions about the PS2 version or would like to know more info on what I feel is better/worse, feel free to ask away. But I will answer one question that people may ask. Yes, I will and am still playing the PS3 version and yes, I now own both versions of the game. Ok, maybe I answered two questions.

two questions:

how is the running game??

and more importantly, i had no idea madden and michaels still did the ps2 version?? why is that? do they still have the old commentary or do they have some new lines (not that i would remember anyway)??

thanks!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Re: After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
two questions:

how is the running game??
very good. LT rushed for over 200yds against me.

One thing that I notice when playing the two, is that the cpu does too much unnecessary juking when trying to run outside or off tackle.

As for me, I having a harder time running on the PS2 version vs the PS3. But I am slowly getting better. I think I cracked the 75 yard mark in my last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
and more importantly, i had no idea madden and michaels still did the ps2 version?? why is that? do they still have the old commentary or do they have some new lines (not that i would remember anyway)??

thanks!
its recycled commentary. There may be new lines, I don't know, but its for the most part the same lines you heard the last 5 or 6 years. Its pretty repetitive, but I enjoy listening to M&M in real life, so its not THAT bad.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Running is the Achilles heel of returning to last gen. It just feels too easy now after playing the next gen games. Also breakaway from wrap tackle moves is sorely missed when going back to last gen. The PS2 trademark flicker and poor online play also have prevented me from making my traditional migration back to PS2. Fact is 09 for next gen is "good enough", not great, but good enough to keep me away from ol' triangle arms..

P.S. forgot to mention the old school streak mechanic that is way too powerful is also making last gen easier to forget. This coming from someone who hasn't played much of the ps2 version (they may have fixed the streak issue)

Last edited by cdon2k; 10-04-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:

Nice....well said. For what its worth, I can't find a single point / statement you made that I can disagree with. Not that my intent is to find something to disagree with, but I have thought to myself basically all the same things. Good post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Mikey16's Arena

OVR: 8

I have a couple of questions about Franchise in PS2 version:

1. Can edit players on other teams like their numbers and equipment?

2. How is the draft logic and ratings for the incoming rookies?

PSN & Twitch: Kelz_HOAW
Twitter: @__Mikel__
Old 10-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey16
I have a couple of questions about Franchise in PS2 version:

1. Can edit players on other teams like their numbers and equipment?

2. How is the draft logic and ratings for the incoming rookies?

#2 its good. Highest I seen a rook come in was 87 and that was Tebow. The ratings seem more legit, though these are really up for discussion and a matter of opinion.

I'd have to check on #1.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

OVR: 25
Icon6 Re: After playing the PS3 version for about 2 months and the PS2 version about 5 days

Quote:
#2 its good. Highest I seen a rook come in was 87 and that was Tebow. The ratings seem more legit, though these are really up for discussion and a matter of opinion.

I'd have to check on #1.
Ok.....that did it.....more reasonable draft ratings, I need to dig out the 'ol PS2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »