Home

Once upon a time.....(The Madden Story)

This is a discussion on Once upon a time.....(The Madden Story) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Once upon a time.....(The Madden Story)

*Sort of a long read* *Offline play only*

Once upon a time Madden meant sumthing to me. It was a game that I actually craved for. I could not wait to come home from where ever I was to play it. I could easily lose a day in it. Play a complete franchise (or pretty close) in a day. Enjoy playing 4 player co-op franchise's (with a actuall challenge) Make sure to pop it in daily to get that football rush. Couldnt wait to get to the draft to get new players.

To make the long story short, ever since Next Gen consoles Madden has not meant the same to me. Dont get me wrong I still get all worked up getting excited about the release. Checking forume's every day for the new info/screen shot/video. But once I have the game and get used to playing it. I lose interest quickly for some reason. The game is not giving me that thrill / that rush that I used to get. I cant seem to enjoy the game for what it is because theres to many little things that bug me. And those little things end up being big things and it comes to the point of not return (trading it in waiting for next year).

I just cannot get into a game that when I am a average team going up a against a great RB and the cpu can only manage a 17- 36 yards. It bugs the heck out of me. Also I love playing the Safety position and like to play the run, but never ever have to pay the price when I do come up cause the cpu doesnt throw the ball deep. So I say ok Im too good for the cpu at safety cause they cannot run the ball period, or know enough to pass deep on me to keep me back.

So i then say let me play on the D-Line. Maybe without me making so many tackles with the SS the cpu will be able to run the ball...............NOPE! Great Backs still average 15-35 yds if that sometimes.

Theres other things like Vince Young of all people completing 72% of his passes at the end of the year. Its a small thing but C'Mon its not real football. All %'s are way to high.

Its sad to say this but the CPU AI was smarter in the last gen years (PS2/XBox). If you was out of position u would have to pay for your mistake. Playing against a Randy Moss or T.O. would actually be a challenge. A star back would be able to break 100 once in a while against you. Franchise mode was actually fun (seems so boring now).

Madden needs to rethink the speed = a great madden team. And start making teams that play physical and can pound u better. My 49er defense in real life really aint that good but in madden it seems like they are gods because of their speed. Brandan Jacobs should kill me up the middle. But in Madden he cant cause my speedy D gets there to quickly. And even if some way he did It wouldnt matter if I put 9 guys in the box cause the cpu is to dumb to go deep on me. Big Backs need some love cause they win games and carry the load. Not that scatbacks dont but in madden Im 100% that most would prefer the 99 speed back over the 99 trucking back. There needs to be more of a struggle to take down power backs. Force us to put more in the box. Or watch out on the edges for fast backs. Every game needs to be different from the last.

Playing the Saints should feel way different then playing the Titans. In Madden I dont feel that difference at all. From any team. You dont have to gameplan any differently for any team. The Chess game is gone. And thats what football is all about. A 5-6 db package should not stop the run the ways ist does in Madden (due to speed).

I am a realistic stat hound so theres a few things that really bug me but I could even overlook them if the game just played good enough when I was actually playing it. The game is pretty good but theres just too many things within the game that makes me cringe when playing it.

CPU Sliders would have helped alot. (But only if they really worked) Like if I max the CPU RB sliders make them run really smart (not just break a million tackles) Find the holes quicker/ get the smart 3-4 sometimes instead of juking there way into a 4-5 yd loss. The QB pass slider needs to work to a point where if you set it high/low you see a BIG difference in completion %'s. Int sliders at 0 should mean less ints.

I could go on forever I suppose but I'd like to see others takes on this GEN from last (in a CPU AI comparing) Do you feel that it has gotten worst/better? And Im sure alot enjoy the game for what it is but does it keep you coming back for more? (Franchisers only) Cause im sure online gamers enjoy the game more but I'm not much a madden onlin gamer. Prefer the Franchise/ Co-op Franchise route.

I long for the day a football game resembles football. When you have to play the Colts and your worried about all Mannings weapons and bring out the 5-6 db package and then Addia runs all over you. Forcing you to change your strategy. (Real football)

Last edited by kmart2180; 10-14-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Once upon a time.....(The Madden Story)

I feel your pain..Totally agree..I have spent 10 hours editing rosters to get rid of RoboQB and the sad simmed stats, and after ALL that, the game is hollow. As CB said, no atmosphere...

Suggestion: Pickup the PS2 version. I did yesterday, and you would be surprised just how much you get into Madden again.. Refs on the field, chain gang, Madden/Michaels sound good compared to this years "team".

So much more options with safety shading, and coverage assignments, etc. No RoboQB, and QBS throwing thru their head. ANd a good replay system, why does next gen replays look like crap w****nning like robots, and knuckleballs instead of sprirals?

I "Backtracked" to PS2, and LOVING it !
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa_bliss

I "Backtracked" to PS2, and LOVING it !

Nice!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 10-14-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Rookie

nickaepi's Arena

OVR: 5

What a fantastic post. You literally just took the words out of my mouth.

The last few weeks , I have just been trying to decide which game to get when I trade in Madden. I don't even play it anymore.

3DS- Bravely Default
Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 4

These threads make up half the madden forum now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16NJD16
These threads make up half the madden forum now.
Pretty much. What they're saying is right but it doesnt really matter, as long as these same people keep buying the game every year then EA sports has no real reason to change the game. Its kinda ironic. Because the online players are getting their fix regardless, the franchise guys are still buying the game even though they're not happy with it. Its win/win for EA sports.

If you want them to improve the game, vote with your wallet. Thats the only way to get your point across.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »