Home

3rd Patch - Will There Be One?

This is a discussion on 3rd Patch - Will There Be One? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: 3rd Patch - Will There Be One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't know if thats true or not, but I do know that games developed by MS themselves are allowed unlimited patches. MS also has a limit on the size of the patches for 3rd party developers, which is 4MB. Not sure if the same limitation in patch size applies to MS developed games.
Doesn't surprise me if this is true, CB.....Microsoft has never been known for quality software...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
No, it is MS's way of trying to ensure companies don't put out half-baked games and "fix everything" later....though apparently it isn't working too well when it comes to this game.

Exactly
Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Ea gets TWO FREE patches with MS...they've used those up. Any more patches they have to PAY MS for...so you tell me, what are the odds????
Quote:
No, it is MS's way of trying to ensure companies don't put out half-baked games and "fix everything" later....though apparently it isn't working too well when it comes to this game.
No offense...but I don't think you are basing any of this on actual concrete information. I've asked several times and nobody has ever answered...I'll ask one more time.

Can you point me to where I might find more information about MS's 2 patch limit? Perhaps something from...oh, I dunno...Microsoft themselves?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
No offense...but I don't think you are basing any of this on actual concrete information. I've asked several times and nobody has ever answered...I'll ask one more time.

Can you point me to where I might find more information about MS's 2 patch limit? Perhaps something from...oh, I dunno...Microsoft themselves?
Might wanna' ask Ian that one.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I do think I remember him mentioning a 2 patch limit. And it would make sense in a number of ways.

1. To make sure company's don't release unfinished games.

2. Very few Devs (such as EA) would spend time and money creating patches for an old game.

Number 2 seems like one of those common sense things MS likes to build into their system like they did with seasonal system updates. Instead of having to download firmware every couple weeks like with the PS3, people only have to download large updates seasonally. Number 2 prevents this scenerio...

1. I buy NBA 2k6

2. Download patch 1, restart

3 Download patch 2, restart

4. Download patch 3, restart

5. Download patch 4, restart

6. Begin game download roster update, possibly be kicked back to open screen.

Now that's 4 system restarts and possibly being kicked back to the start screen just to play Nba 2k6. Not really a huge inconvenience, but it is a lot to go through to play an old game. MS seems to care about that, Sony doesn't.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Number 2 prevents this scenerio...

1. I buy NBA 2k6

2. Download patch 1, restart

3 Download patch 2, restart

4. Download patch 3, restart

5. Download patch 4, restart

6. Begin game download roster update, possibly be kicked back to open screen.

Now that's 4 system restarts and possibly being kicked back to the start screen just to play Nba 2k6. Not really a huge inconvenience, but it is a lot to go through to play an old game. MS seems to care about that, Sony doesn't.
When there are mutliple patches for a game, at least on PS3 (I don't remember how it was on 360), you get them all at once. Also, the system doesn't restart after a patch is applied (again on PS3).
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I'm not sure I believe the 4MB limit thing. Most patches I've downloaded on PS3 have been in the 20+ MB range. Now I know the PS3 doesn't have the same limitations since every system has a hard drive but I have a hard time believing that the same patch can be 4MB on a 360 yet be over 20 MB on PS3.
compression techniques, just like some games on ps3 are well over 20gb while those same games on 360 are always around 8gb..if compression is needed,it can be done when working with the same amount of data.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »