Home

How Can We Account for Defensive Pressure?

This is a discussion on How Can We Account for Defensive Pressure? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: How Can We Account for Defensive Pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
The pressure ring is a great idea, as long as they don't show it while playing. At least give the option to make it invisible.
Of course it would be invisible lol. You and I are on the same page when it comes to gimmicks such as weapons and hint icons being on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
I'd love it if the controller would vibrate slightly (maybe an increasing heartbeat rate effect) as the pressure was getting closer and closer.
I agree the controller should vibrate. It would really give the "pressure" effect.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

All great ideas, I hope EA is listening.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Excellent ideas across the board.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

Excellent ideas guys!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I'm in favor of a meter. Just have the meter under the QB (option to turn it off and be invisible) and it goes down as the D closes in. It can go down overall during the game if the QB is getting hit/hurried frequently. Certian QBs can have a comeback ability where it'll go back up if they're down late in the 4th.

For example Tom Brady starts out at 100. Say he's gotten sacked 6 times,hit 10 and hurried 8. That would drop his compsure to 70 overall but say they're down 20-17 and there's 2 minutes left the meter will go back up to 90 overall.

Then you get someone like say Derek Anderson. He'll start at 90,go down to like 60 and then if they're down it won't go back up.

Hits on run plays wouldn't count though.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
I'd love it if the controller would vibrate slightly (maybe an increasing heartbeat rate effect) as the pressure was getting closer and closer.
They'd need to make sure not to give lesser QBs an advantage. The vibration would be a warning for the user. Less aware QBs should get a late or no warning. More aware QBs should get an earlier warning.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
They'd need to make sure not to give lesser QBs an advantage. The vibration would be a warning for the user. Less aware QBs should get a late or no warning. More aware QBs should get an earlier warning.
I've always liked this idea but it then changes the concept of the model. Instead of the vibration simulating defensive pressure, it's turned into a pocket awareness rating. To me, the whole lesser QB's vs. better QB's is starting to get over blown. All it ever seems to lead to is us fans annointing Brady & Manning as God-like Quarterbacks, and every other QB has to fall in line. It's been beat to death, but the ratings should define good vs. bad quarterbacks.

Defensive pressure is defensive pressure, regardless of who's under center. No QB wants to sit back there and take a pounding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Rookie

Erick's Arena

OVR: 4

Of course none of these ideas will really mean anything unless they first revamp the oline/dline interactions. thats is first and most important in my opinion.

I think that the oline reacts horribly to what is happening especially when pressure is applied to the QB. The QB's linemen need to locate their QB and go help him accordinglyinstead of standing there doing nothing
. They just stand there or just move around not blocking anyone. That needs to be addressed.

Like one of the earlier posters said before, there has to be a pocket for the QB to work within otherwise all this talk doesnt matter at all. It cannot be a "plinko-machine" back there like how it is in madden right now - i.e. defensive linemen bouncing off other linemen and olinemen letting defenders through to hit the QB. There has to be a purpose to their motions.

As for the QB in terms of pressure. Maybe give him a pocket presense rating that plays with the pressure ring.

When playing against the CPU:

Differentiate how some QBs react to pressure as well. People like Romo, Farve and Rothlesberger will hold on to the ball looking to make a play downfield. Whereas other QBs like Eli Manning, Pennington, Carson Palmer will usually just throw it away.

Also Rothlesberger usually has multiple defenders dragging him down as he tries to make a play under pressure. Romo and Farve scrambles around trying to do the same thing.

Other QBs like Brady and both Mannings will usually read the blitz and audible. If presure does reach them, they have the proper footwork to siedestep pressure to buy themselves time.

And finally you have the JT Sullivans of the world that just seem to get flusterd and throw ducks up in the air when pressured constantly.

just my two cents with adding to that pressure ring...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »