Home

Fixing the kicking game

This is a discussion on Fixing the kicking game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Fixing the kicking game

I want a option where all kicks can be set to automatic control. In NBA 2k they have an option where Free throws can be set to "real ft%" which basically means the CPU uses the players FT attribute to calculate the chance he will make or miss the FT instead of having it determined by the user.

I would love to see something similar offered for FG kicking. I have no interest in kicking FG's and I would rather have the computer determine kicks for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I never liked the idea of not allowing a user to do something. NFL teams do things once thought to be crazy. I remember when folks didn't like being able to put players "out of position". Then New England puts a WR at DB, successfuly; plays 1-5 defense; runs 4-5 WRs all game, ect. I think anything should be possible. Just make the ratings accurate.
Exactly. New England used a 0-7 defense for a few plays once.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
I want a option where all kicks can be set to automatic control. In NBA 2k they have an option where Free throws can be set to "real ft%" which basically means the CPU uses the players FT attribute to calculate the chance he will make or miss the FT instead of having it determined by the user.

I would love to see something similar offered for FG kicking. I have no interest in kicking FG's and I would rather have the computer determine kicks for me.
You may be on to something here. I know everyone talks about being able to control everything on the field but I think this would add some dramatic flair to the game. It would give you that hopeless feeling NFL players and coaches feel when you don't punch the ball the ball in the endzone. This would have add an entire new demension to the offensive side of the football.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
You may be on to something here. I know everyone talks about being able to control everything on the field but I think this would add some dramatic flair to the game. It would give you that hopeless feeling NFL players and coaches feel when you don't punch the ball the ball in the endzone. This would have add an entire new demension to the offensive side of the football.
And the game already does this for the ai team you are playing...it would be most likely extremely simple to add this for the player. Unfortunately, a lot would detest the idea, but I'd like it as an option.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #29
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The best way to fix the kicking game is to scrap the analog stick and go back to the button presses. It made it easier to slice or hook kicks. Right now any kick in the middle of the field is automatic. It wasn't that way with the old button press system. They changed it for the sake of change and it got a lot worse.

Furthermore, missed kicks in football or almost exclusively due to being wide left or right or blocked. Most kickers distance is pretty consistent although the video games need to do a much better job of implementing the angle of the kick. Lower kicks should go farther but be easier to block.

(I'm speaking from NCAA experience).
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The best way to fix the kicking game is to scrap the analog stick and go back to the button presses. It made it easier to slice or hook kicks. Right now any kick in the middle of the field is automatic. It wasn't that way with the old button press system. They changed it for the sake of change and it got a lot worse.

Furthermore, missed kicks in football or almost exclusively due to being wide left or right or blocked. Most kickers distance is pretty consistent although the video games need to do a much better job of implementing the angle of the kick. Lower kicks should go farther but be easier to block.

(I'm speaking from NCAA experience).
I dunno. I think the stick can be used effectively. APF used it well, but with no meter or indication, just feeback after you hit it. Plus wind actually mattered in that game too. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was a much better representation of kicking and used the R stick.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I dunno. I think the stick can be used effectively. APF used it well, but with no meter or indication, just feeback after you hit it. Plus wind actually mattered in that game too. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was a much better representation of kicking and used the R stick.
Was the APF system the same as 2K5? I can't remember. But the 2K guys did a better job because of the drift on the accuracy arrow. That added a necessary element that EA should either adopt or go back to the button presses. With a stationary accuracy arrow in the EA games, kicks from the middle of the field are automatic no matter what the slider setting is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #32
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Was the APF system the same as 2K5? I can't remember. But the 2K guys did a better job because of the drift on the accuracy arrow. That added a necessary element that EA should either adopt or go back to the button presses. With a stationary accuracy arrow in the EA games, kicks from the middle of the field are automatic no matter what the slider setting is.
Similar, but not the same. There is no accuracy arrow in
APF, so no drift. There is no indication whatsoever...lol. You have to hit your stick straight up and down to get accuracy (though you can adjust for wind and angle) AND you had to time the swing of your stick with the motion (again, all without indicators). The only indication is feedback afterwards so you know how you did. The first time I played, I jumped right in without really carefully reading up on new control schemes. I missed a fieldgoal and two extra points. It wasn't perfect, but it was much more challenging and realistic than Madden, IMO.

Plus, you could really tell the difference between the good kickers and generic scrub ones. That would bring up my old "ratings should matter more" type ramble which is a bit off topic so I'll leave it at that...lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »