Home

Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

This is a discussion on Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Requesting feedback on 5-step drop animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Good point, bezo. I think a certain degree of improvisation is good, but even in the example you mention, you're likely talking about a hot-route scenario, which changes the rules from one scripted set to another scripted set. The drop gets moved from 5 to 3 or 3 to 1, and the hot WR runs a prearranged route given the coverage. It's still "set" in it's way.

When it comes to "breaking out" of a set drop, I guess I'd just want to see video footage illustrating how NFL QBs do this. The videos LBZ posted didn't really leave any room in a 5 step drop for deciding not to go through with it--it's like trying to stop a golf swing mid-motion.

Valid point, though; these are just my two cents. And thanks to Ian for creating dialogue here--it's really not your job to do this but it's appreciated. For Ian, I think the best possible future for Madden is to ask the question: "how can we make Madden more like real football?" and not "how can we preserve Madden's interpretation of football while adding a bit of realism to it?" You're obviously trying to do the former, but the pursuit of unrealistic amounts of player control over certain movements in the game suggests that the latter question is still operative at some level.

I'm holding out great hope for 2010, though, and am eager to give it a rental and see what you guys get done. Good luck!
Actually I could have stopped it and completed a pass IF I changed one of the routes. If I had changed one of the routes to a slant and stopped exactly where I stopped I probably would have completed the pass. Same thing with a hot route out route.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Right, I guess that's what I was trying to say. You can shorten a drop, but it has to be coordinated. It's not like guys just quit their drops willy-nilly, which is what I felt like I was hearing with the "we should be able to break out of an animation" stuff.

Thanks for clarifying that, LBz.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Right, I guess that's what I was trying to say. You can shorten a drop, but it has to be coordinated. It's not like guys just quit their drops willy-nilly, which is what I felt like I was hearing with the "we should be able to break out of an animation" stuff.

Thanks for clarifying that, LBz.
NP, that's what I thought I was hearing too. Sure they should be able to break it, but then there should be NO rhythm and consistency to their passing attack, unless as they break it they always have a route for the break.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #68
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Not trying to be rude or maybe this was answered already, but what is the difficulty in mo-capping signature dropback animations for each NFL QB?
???
Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #69
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Good point, bezo. I think a certain degree of improvisation is good, but even in the example you mention, you're likely talking about a hot-route scenario, which changes the rules from one scripted set to another scripted set. The drop gets moved from 5 to 3 or 3 to 1, and the hot WR runs a prearranged route given the coverage. It's still "set" in it's way.
I was thinking about a hot route scenario. And I agree, there would be a new, shorter scripted drop back. If Madden can implement that, great.

The difference is that in the NFL, those hot routes are not called out most times. The QB & WR read the blitz on the fly. Even I think it would be a bit much to ask EA to implement that. But that would be cool.

So imagine a scenario where a gamer doesn't have time to call a hot route, sees a blitz and knows he can't protect against it. What does he do? The throw away button doesn't allow you to throw near a WR, another feature I would like added. There has to be some type of improvisation available. Think about all the craziness Favre has pulled over the years. I've seen him QB draw when that obviously wasn't the call. Things like that need to be available.

But like I said, I'm not completely against forcing a full drop back. I would just prefer realistic plants, turns, momentum, ect so gamers don't get an advantage for unrealistic play.

Quote:
When it comes to "breaking out" of a set drop, I guess I'd just want to see video footage illustrating how NFL QBs do this. The videos LBZ posted didn't really leave any room in a 5 step drop for deciding not to go through with it--it's like trying to stop a golf swing mid-motion.
I'd be hard pressed to find footage, but again, I've seen Favre do some things. Another example would be him not handing off on a run play and taking off on an improvised naked boot. He did that on Strahan's record breaking sack some years back. That's not a pass play, but you get my point.

And I've seen QBs do things similar to what LB showed in the 2K vids, except they would throw it away towards a WR. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for EA to add WRs buttons to the throw away feature so we could intentionally over/underthrow a particular WR to avoid an intentional grounding call when in trouble.

These things are quite rare, but why disable the user when you can implement realistic momentum, plants & such and discourage him? In this drop back example, I think it would add some fun to the defensive side of the ball any way. I now I'd get a kick out of showing an all out blitz and forcing my opponent to try something crazy that ends in a sack or throw away.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #70
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
NP, that's what I thought I was hearing too. Sure they should be able to break it, but then there should be NO rhythm and consistency to their passing attack, unless as they break it they always have a route for the break.
This is what I'm saying. Let them break it, but to their disadvantage.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 31

Looks like a short quick quarterback not typical of NFL long striders.

I think it would be a great drop back for QB's 6'2 and under.

Add a longer slow stride one and then make this an attribute that QB's have (slow or quick drop back).

Think varied style with all these animations. It will add so much to the game.

Speaking of drop backs there needs to be more variety to which side QB's open up on Play Action passes. There are so many variations NFL playbooks use in trying to fool linebackers to thinking run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
To provide a little background - one of our stuntmen at the last shoot was also a former QB in college. He volunteered to re-do our default QB drop animation(s). I figured I'd upload one and get your feedback. What do you think?

- Look good?
- Adjust slightly?
- Re-capture?

&nbsp
&nbsp

from The Future on Vimeo.
Its ok, but you can tell that he was at one time a QB. I think for college thats what they teach but in the NFL the default it fuid, quick and less erratic than the way he showed. I think Tom Brady has the best drop back as to its very fluid and loose and when hes last foot hits hes straight up and down it perfect posture. Heres a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp5ri...eature=related

Last edited by wookie48; 11-13-2008 at 01:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »