Home

A plea for special team work in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea for special team work in 2010 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11
A plea for special team work in 2010

Watch any NFL game this year and what do you see EVERY week? Special teams. Play Madden 2009 and what DON'T you see? Special teams. This part of the game has a huge impact on each game and is largely ignored in Madden 09.

Over the past 9 weeks I have watched a lot of NFL football and I keep thinking how great it would be if we had blocked fg's and punts, mishandled snaps etc. I'd love to have to really think if i want to run Max punt every time. Perhaps its windy and rainy and i need to think about this kick attempt. Things like this would add a ton to the game IMO.

Right now whenever special teams is involved i know nothing out of the ordinary is going to happen. This part of Madden has been non existent for ever.

Now that Ian and crew are listening, perhaps we could get special teams some attention!

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: A plea for special team work in 2010

I thought Madden 04 was the last Madden to do special teams fairly well IMO. You could run back kickoffs and punts for TDs, and just as important, the CPU could to. You also could block field goals and punts. And last but not least, kicking field goals were by no means automatic. The kick meter was really tough on the All-Madden level. ST has gone down hill ever since.

Special Teams never get any love in football games.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think one of the biggest reasons for the ease of special teams play is to encourage people to actually use them. I have played with plenty of people who go for it on 4 and 8 on my 25 yard line just because they don't believe in kicking field goals. If they made special teams less automatic even less people would actually use it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

I want there to be a little more variation on the fakes, like Brian Moorman's laser, rocket pass to an uncovered Ryan Denny apparently sauntering to the sideline.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

I totally agree that special teams needs a drastic overhual, I am so happy you made this thread.

Special teams is such a important component of a football team, and special teams play is a huge factor in the football game. This area of Madden is THE single weakest area of the game. Overall, every aspect of special teams needs serious attention.

The kicking game, the return game, extra point attempts, the coverage in the kicking game...I mean, something needs to be done. The kicking game is one of the most exciting and suspensful elements in pro football. I hope they do something about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22
I think one of the biggest reasons for the ease of special teams play is to encourage people to actually use them. I have played with plenty of people who go for it on 4 and 8 on my 25 yard line just because they don't believe in kicking field goals. If they made special teams less automatic even less people would actually use it.
Dumb reason, but probably pretty accurate.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22

Then they need to make going for it on 4th down much harder because no way is it that easy in the NFL to get a 4th down conversion like in Madden...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Dumb reason, but probably pretty accurate.

I also think another reason for making the kicking meter easier was because of lag(i.e.. NG really lags compared to LG)......seriously it gets difficult sometimes when the screen is "slideshowing" all over the place...and think they new this was going to be a problem and remedied it. Could you imagine trying to do the old meter on NGs lag??

Its another reason why I hardly play online anymore

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 11-13-2008 at 03:12 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »