Home

Does Favre retire year 2 every time?

This is a discussion on Does Favre retire year 2 every time? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Does Favre retire year 2 every time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls23
Let's see he's 1-1 in what 14 years? And called a legend? The Bears, Bucs and Ravens just to name three teams, got to a Super Bowl with no QB during Brett Favre's career. In any event, I would like to keep him around, not only to kick his *** in Madden but also to hopefully keep him out of HOF in real life. The more he plays, the worse he looks.
Yeah, the more he plays, the worse he get's. He is 39 years old with a passer rating of close to 90. His team is tied for first place.

I'd guess I expect that animosity coming from a rival Bear fan as Favre pretty much owned them throughout his career.

Good luck in keeping Favre out from the HOF as a three time MVP and SB winner with most of the passing records.

Marino is in the HOF without a SB win and he is called a legend as well.

Last edited by roadman; 11-12-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yeah, your right.

He won't be a first time HOF, either.

And to answer your question, outside of the back to back SB years, only one other year in the 90's they placed 1st in the division.
Between 1995 and 2007, the Packers won the division 7 times.

From 1995-97, they won their division three years in a row.

From 1993 to 2007, the Packers went to the playoffs 11 times.

That means Favre went to the playoffs 11 out of 15 seasons in Green Bay.

Brett Favre has exactly one ring to show for this, uno. 11 playoff births, and one ring.

He's made it to the conference title game 4 times out of 11 births, where he's 2-2.

He's managed to throw 28 INT's in his 22 playoff games.

Oh, and did I mention the guy holds the record for most picks all time?

Look, the bottom line is, the media has made this guy into more then he is. He's one of the greatest regular season QB's in history. There's no denying that. But in the playoffs, he's a failure. He had teams with talent oozing out of every possible position and flat out failed in the playoffs.

When you're talking about "greats", you have to look at the playoffs, not regular season. If we ignored the playoffs in evaluating QB's, Marino would be the best of all time. But we don't do that.

When you compare Favre to everyone else in this way, he's not even in the top 5.

Last edited by Nintari; 11-12-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari

Brett Favre has exactly one ring to show for this, uno. 11 playoff births, and one ring.

He's made it to the conference title game 4 times out of 11 births, where he's 2-2.

Look, the bottom line is, the media has made this guy into more then he is. He's one of the greatest regular season QB's in history. There's no denying that. But in the playoffs, he's a failure. He had teams with talent oozing out of every possible position and flat out failed in the playoffs.
LMAO...that last statement shows how closely you followed the Packers during Favre's career. They were NEVER "oozing talent out of every possible position". Sure, they had SOME talented areas...mostly castoffs from other teams nearing the end of their careers. Other than Favre and Reggie White, they were NOT a team of superstars by any stretch of the imagination.

And the talent level dropped immediately upon White and Holmgren leaving...then Ron Wolf left, and they NEVER had a very talented roster again. Yet, they continued to be competetive with the exception of a single season. Pretty apparent to me that MANY years Favre carried this team. But one man can really only carry them so far.

Yeah, he has the league record for INT's....along with a pretty amazing and impressive string of POSITIVE records, one of which is 3 time league MVP!! He's a first ballot HOF'er....get over it Bears fan...can't hate the man just because he destroyed your team for so many years.

Last edited by MJenness; 11-12-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari

When you're talking about "greats", you have to look at the playoffs, not regular season. If we ignored the playoffs in evaluating QB's, Marino would be the best of all time. But we don't do that.

When you compare Favre to everyone else in this way, he's not even in the top 5.
You might want to read your question over again when you asked how many times did the Packers win the division in the 90's. In your answers above, you decided after the fact to include the years 2000-07. It really doesn't matter, though.

Nobody is saying Favre is top 5, are they? It's fair to say he's top ten, though.

As far as Marino goes, there are some who feel he is one of the great QB's of all time. It's two different arguments whether you classify all-time greats with rings or no rings.

Plus, MJenness covered it pretty well. Favre never had a Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, or a Torry Holt to throw to.

Again, I'll take one ring vs the 30 years of futility the Packers had between SB's.

I would think you would measure greatness as being selected to the HOF after your career is finished. That is where Favre will end up.

Last edited by roadman; 11-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #21
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

The dude just asked if Favre always retires after year one...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #22
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdown2shadi
The dude just asked if Favre always retires after year one...
I was about to say the same thing.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

My head is about to explode, lol. The Favre haters will never like him, which is fine. The only exception I take to the whole argument is the one about his teams oozing with talent. He's never, ever had a great running back. Sure Ahman Green had a run of a couple of seasons, but there was little else. And the recievers?!? Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman were average guys, who would've been number 2's or 3's on other teams.

But, I do acknowledge that I am quite biased in this regard. The only other argument I say is that the Pack was what, 12-4 last year with him? This year, same crew, no Favre and they are what, 4-5? That has to say something. But, I am biased so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

BTW--good suggestion on the kicker thing. I will have to try that b/c I do think Brett will be back next season.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #24
Banned

Nintari's Arena

I'll agree he could be top 10. You could make that argument soundly. But top 5? Never. There are too many QB's who knew how to win in the playoffs for there to be any room in the top 5.

In order to be up there with the best of the best, you have to win in the playoffs. Regular season stats and wins can get you into the room, but only rings get you to the table and the truth of the matter is, Trent Dilfer has just as many rings as Favre.

Last edited by Nintari; 11-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »