Home

Madden 20-10: Number of Animations

This is a discussion on Madden 20-10: Number of Animations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Madden 20-10: Number of Animations

What increase percentage-wise would you like to see in the number of animations?

Personally i feel that not only does the quality need to be overhauled because the its never been as fluid as its direct competitor or at the least EA BIG, but there need to be at least a 300% increase in the number of animations.

I mean after a week of play i felt as if i had seen all the animations the game had to offer, and three and a half months later it seems I was right.

Given the technology im sure Madden 09 only scratched the surface of the capacity of animation.

your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Madden 20-10: Number of Animations

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesRunIt
What increase percentage-wise would you like to see in the number of animations?

Personally i feel that not only does the quality need to be overhauled because the its never been as fluid as its direct competitor or at the least EA BIG, but there need to be at least a 300% increase in the number of animations.

I mean after a week of play i felt as if i had seen all the animations the game had to offer, and three and a half months later it seems I was right.

Given the technology im sure Madden 09 only scratched the surface of the capacity of animation.

your thoughts?

Good start to a thread. One thing I'd ask to help out is that if you are going to respond, don't just put a number...but your top priority areas that you'd like focus on as well. (i.e. instead of just "300%", say "double the catch variety, replace all the old tackle and facemask animations" etc)
Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

One I'd like to see go is the flying shoulder tackle that defenders put on the ball carriers. The one animation that looks as though it belongs in a wrestling game, not a football game.

Also, I'd love to see some new sideline catch animations and some new OL/DL interaction animations where you see hands up around the face, the OL actually grab the DL's jersey, OL tackle the the DL for holding calls and fall down with the DL while engaged.

I'd also like to see the animation removed or redone where the OL cuts the DL man and the defender does a circus like, airplane like manuever.

Also, some new tackling animations. (ie: defenders grabbing a player by the jersey, the ball carrier starting to get free, but the defender grabs a leg and slows him down, defenders being able to jump over the pile in goaline situations)

Thats all I have for now.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 19

Number of animations don't matter if the transitional ones aren't there. That has been Madden's problem since coming onto next gen and is one of the main reasons why 2K feels so real and madden does not. Put in alot of transitional animations in every aspect to keep the game flowing.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 27

I'm interested to know if the new install feature will offer any benefit to Madden 2010 in the animation/graphics department.

Also, I heard EA is using Moven now for Mocap? I heard it has portable functionality and can be used in open settings with no need for a lab. I wonder if this would allow for 11-on-11 Mo-Capping now? Hmmmmmm...

I'd like to see:

*A lot more variations in the catch animations. There needs to be a number of subtle differences, like... you have a standard catch where the WR stops, makes the catch and runs, but then I'd like to see at least 10 similar catches where the body moved slightly different each time or the body posture was slightly different each time. If you could make subtle variations for each primary catch animation, that would be crazy.

*More variations in wrap up tackles. I'd like to see things where you get the same type of tackle but the ferocity varies each time.

*3 and 4 Maners.. the holy grail

*Something totally new for a video game, but something we see in real life all the time, is a tackle where one guy comes in and starts the hit. The RB is still driving but slowly. A second tackler comes in, then a third then a 4th, then a 5th, but they never bring the RB down. The RB is just stood up, and the ref blows the whistle to end the play. But sometimes the initial one or two guys do bring him down while the other tacklers just trail. You also see situations where the initial one or two guys do bring the RB down, but it's slightly after the whistle.

*A major toning down of the explosive diving tackle where the defender jumps at the ballcarrier's upper torso and the impact forces them both to fall backwards. You see that one all game long, and I'd like to see it replaced with a diving wrap-up attempt. I say that because on average, NFL backs don't get blown up that easily, not even th smaller backs, and when they do it's rare highlight stuff.

*If this can't be done in a live-type setting, I'd love to see some fumbles break out into a pile up cutscene. That would be insane. Football games are dying for this. We've seen the scrum type of piling in EA Rugby, I'd love to see a new advancement of that for Madden.

*A new animation sequence for short yardage run attempts (like 3rd or 4th and inches) and Goaline runs. You notice how when these situations come up the offensive and defensive lines get real low and the ballcarrier be it QB or RB either get low too, or dive over the low lines?

... and as an extension to that, we need some animation where the ballcarrier puts his hand out to slightly push a blocker in front of him, especially for the short yardage situations I mentioned. I propose making the stiff arm button functional for this, because it make the RB sensing the push interactive to the user, and when they engage the line the RB should lower his shoulders some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

This is what I would like to see more of in no particular order:

1) WR animations- back shoulder catches off the fade route, jump ball scenarios in the end zone, more sideline catches, laying out for the deep ball, open WR's putting their hands up calling for the ball(got this idea after playing FIFA 09)

2) OL/DL animations- OT's riding DE's, DE's putting OT's on skates, OL communicating with each other pointing out defenders,etc..

3)QB animations- raising up the leg to call for the snap, clapping frantically for the center to snap the ball in hostile environments because the play clock is running down, licking of the fingers, pointing out blitzers and identifying the Mike LB

4)RB animations- putting down that third leg to gain a few extra yards after being hit, coming closer to the line to hear an audible made by the QB, etc..

5) Defensive animations- I would like to see Defenses celebrating with each other and running off the field after a big goal line stand or 4th down stop, show pile ups after fumbles(would have to be done in a cut scene) with referee's throwing and digging through players to see who has the ball, if the D has it their should be yells and screams of celebration. Obviously more variety of defensive tackles(wrap up, cowboy collar, leg swiping/grabbing,etc) Oh and last but not least defensive players coming in to touch players ball carriers to ensure that the ball carrier is down.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I'm interested to know if the new install feature will offer any benefit to Madden 2010 in the animation/graphics department.

Also, I heard EA is using Moven now for Mocap? I heard it has portable functionality and can be used in open settings with no need for a lab. I wonder if this would allow for 11-on-11 Mo-Capping now? Hmmmmmm...

I'd like to see:

*A lot more variations in the catch animations. There needs to be a number of subtle differences, like... you have a standard catch where the WR stops, makes the catch and runs, but then I'd like to see at least 10 similar catches where the body moved slightly different each time or the body posture was slightly different each time. If you could make subtle variations for each primary catch animation, that would be crazy.

*More variations in wrap up tackles. I'd like to see things where you get the same type of tackle but the ferocity varies each time.

*3 and 4 Maners.. the holy grail

*Something totally new for a video game, but something we see in real life all the time, is a tackle where one guy comes in and starts the hit. The RB is still driving but slowly. A second tackler comes in, then a third then a 4th, then a 5th, but they never bring the RB down. The RB is just stood up, and the ref blows the whistle to end the play. But sometimes the initial one or two guys do bring him down while the other tacklers just trail. You also see situations where the initial one or two guys do bring the RB down, but it's slightly after the whistle.

*A major toning down of the explosive diving tackle where the defender jumps at the ballcarrier's upper torso and the impact forces them both to fall backwards. You see that one all game long, and I'd like to see it replaced with a diving wrap-up attempt. I say that because on average, NFL backs don't get blown up that easily, not even th smaller backs, and when they do it's rare highlight stuff.

*If this can't be done in a live-type setting, I'd love to see some fumbles break out into a pile up cutscene. That would be insane. Football games are dying for this. We've seen the scrum type of piling in EA Rugby, I'd love to see a new advancement of that for Madden.

*A new animation sequence for short yardage run attempts (like 3rd or 4th and inches) and Goaline runs. You notice how when these situations come up the offensive and defensive lines get real low and the ballcarrier be it QB or RB either get low too, or dive over the low lines?

... and as an extension to that, we need some animation where the ballcarrier puts his hand out to slightly push a blocker in front of him, especially for the short yardage situations I mentioned. I propose making the stiff arm button functional for this, because it make the RB sensing the push interactive to the user, and when they engage the line the RB should lower his shoulders some.

Great ideas man!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 27

Subtle animations that add life to players:

*A Strong walking animation. Players jog or run too much currently in situations where they should just take normal walking steps.

*Player adjusting their helmets by the facemask, and you should see QB and RB's do this a lot during sequences where they are either standing idle or approaching to line up after the huddle. You also see QB do this a lot while under center before the snap.

*Players adjusting socks

*Players adjusting shoulder pads

*QB turning and looking over to their sideline for signals (This could be a playcall screen scene)

*After a good play is made, two teammates congratulating each other.

*More QB emotion animations. When Brett Favre throws a TD pass you often see him run down the field like a maniac with either one or both his arms raised high. I want to see that kind of emotion in Madden.

*I want to see scenes of the QB being pick up and hugged by one of his lineman.

*I want to see the same kind of emotion from Kickers too. It's anti-climactic to kick a Game-winner and then there is no emotion from the kicker or any of the players. I want to see some jubilation, lol! The kicker being picked up and hugged, players jumping around happy in victory. And if it's not a game winner, at least the kicker showing some happiness and some players doing the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »