Home

A fresh way to approach season play

This is a discussion on A fresh way to approach season play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
A fresh way to approach season play

After spending much time reading some of the threads while at work I thought of something about season/franchise play. Why not take a "boss battle" approach to season play. It may sound stupid but why not have teams like boss battles are in other genres.

What I'm trying to say is that in some genres there are boss battles that have patterns that have to learn in order to beat them or certain adaptions you have to make in order to overcome their superioty. I think this can be applied to football games.

Every team has to have a pre-determined personality or play style that you have to overcome in order to be successful against. Let's say you are playing in Seattle. Part of their "boss battle" would be to overcome the 12th man. Meaning you may have blown assignments and have to overcome lots of 2nd/3rd and long.

Or if you are playing Pittsburgh. You know that you will be playing against a team that will pound the ball on offense and blitz the hell out of you on defense. Overcoming this "boss battle" will be to stack the box and sell out on the run on defense and hit alot of hot routes on offense.

Those are just two quick examples but I hope you get the picture. I just think teams should play a certain way from beginning to end and overcoming their strength and exploiting their weaknesses should be the difference between a win and a loss. U can also throw some coaching acts in there, stubborness. Maybe have a coach stick with the run too long. Or another coach sticking with the pass eventhough his QB has thrown a few INT's.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: A fresh way to approach season play

What I hope is accomplished with this type of approach is that it will also teach the player how to defend every type of playstyle. These can be life-like or completely fictional. Like the Vip profiles of 2k5.

For example, against Pittsburgh you will learn how to play against someone that like to run the ball the majority of the time as well as learn how to decipher and overcome blitzes. Against the Colts you will learn how to defend a heavy passing team and how to defend the No-Huddle.

I'm just hoping this helps create the chess match that most of us desire by giving every form of play a true counter. And I know it will make the franchise and season play more interesting when your defense is truely getting eaten up because you refuse to stack the box to stop a heavy running team.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 19

.....what?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

I'll Pass on this idea>>>maybe something similar but this sounds too gimicky
Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

This is what you could do if there were sliders in the game.

For instance try to beat a team with run sliders high. Or a team with speed you would increase the speed sliders.

This is actually what I do with basketball games a lot. Not so much the boss battle but increase the sliders to increase the challenge.

Interesting idea!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

I'd like there to be a boss battle where player ratings actually mean something. That would be epic.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 38

Sorrry mang im not feeling the idea but kudos for posting
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Rookie

So I take it none of you used the Vip profiles on 2k5? Like I said, I just think teams should have personality and a playstyle because that is what is seen on Sundays. Every team prepares to combat their opponents strengths and coaches tendencies. That is not reflected in Madden. Every team feels exactly the same. That is half of the reason franchise play is just not interesting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »