Home

WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

This is a discussion on WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #33
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
you make good points...who do you think is to blame for this?
"Blame" is a tough word to use. I think all hardcore gamers have been on notice that EA, Take Two, etc. are BUSINESSES, first and foremost. But for a long time, it seemed like the best business interests were served by catering to the people who will be there first in line for video games every year.

The problem is that companies like EA realize that they can be more profitable by locking out the competition, and making a product that has broader appeal, kinda like what happened with the Wii. But a lot of the things we "blame" EA for actually ARE very good business sense. Football games selling for $19 was a serious problem for Madden if it were to continue long-term!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #34

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
a lot of the things we "blame" EA for actually ARE very good business sense. Football games selling for $19 was a serious problem for Madden if it were to continue long-term!
exactly...do you think then that there can be any merit to the argument that consumers play a little blame as well...These decisions are all based off of decisions and purchases by the consumer.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
My thought is that you're incorrect. I've read on more than one occasion that the reason ESPN is not fully integrated into Madden is to kind of peace w/ the NFL. Apparently, if they blow out the ESPN presentation, the NFL and NFL Network will feel slighted and vice versa. That's why I think they try to be generic in their approach instead of going all the way w/ ESPN or the NFL Network theme.
I read that somewhere as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 10

If EA is taking all the licenses, and then not using them for a conflict issue, that is just bad business for the consumer. They buy espn for 15 years and the nfl network for who knows how many. Then they say its a "conflict of interest" to use any of them in full, because the other might get mad. What the hell u buy the licenses for then. Why are we the consumers getting screwed with this exclusive deal stuff so badly. Use them or let another company buy them and use it. The lack of intergration of either is killing sports games..period
Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Frazier
This isn't the sort of thing we can comment on because it's out of our control on the game team. I'll just leave it at that.

I will state that a couple of the theories in this thread aren't far off. The closest so far has been a theory from a poster from Newark, DE.

Phil
Thing is, you already laid out the reasons in the quotes I posted from MaddenMania.

Having said that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
So this just backs up the fact (in my mind) that EA only bought the ESPN license so that 2k Sports, or another company can't use it to make a game, and EA doesn't have any real plans to utilize the license in any considerable way.
AND...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron From MaddenMania
With that said, I fail to believe that the ESPN presentation was not used solely because EA thought they could do it better, because quite frankly they've had three cracks at it and did nothing unless you call Marshall Faulks HORRIBLE pre and post game commentary an attempt at presentation, lol. I still feel this was a corporate move in a series of moves to disarm 2K's repertoire. Why else would you sign a big deal with ESPN only to put the features in as a glancing afterthought? Disarming is a classic--and pretty smart--business tactic. I don't fault them for doing it from a business standpoint, 2K was embarrassing EA with all the things they were doing... they knew it, the critics knew it, and we knew it too unless you're the biggest fanboy and just can't acknowledge excellence from a rival company.
Now, I've been in business for the past 20 years of my life. I've worked at the mom-and-pops, and worked in leadership positions for majors like Verizon and everything in-between. One thing I know for sure, is that large corporations (and even successful smaller ones, quite frankly) seek to either dismantle, disarm, or take control of their competition in any way shape or form that they legally can. EA is no different than any other large corporation. This is how business is done. It's not an indictment on EA, it's just the way of the world.

For me to believe that the quotes I posted in this particular post are not only possible but much more than likely fact, I'd have to forget everything I've ever seen, heard, was taught, or experienced.

But it no longer matters for Madden. We just need a strong presentation. It doesn't matter what the logos say. We just need it to be strong and it can be done and done with the toolset they have. This isn't a matter of "can it be done?", it's a matter of priority of which prior to 09 they gave it basically zero.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 12-12-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
And remember.... I said he was the closest. This isn't THE reason.

Phil
So I'm completely off base then? Or am I partially right about the branding issues?

Last edited by dubz; 12-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #39
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
For me to believe that the quotes I posted in this particular post are not only possible but much more than likely fact, I'd have to forget everything I've ever seen, heard, was taught, or experienced.

But it no longer matters for Madden. We just need a strong presentation. It doesn't matter what the logos say. We just need it to be strong and it can be done and done with the toolset they have. This isn't a matter of "can it be done?", it's a matter of priority of which prior to 09 they gave it basically zero.
Please don't confuse what I'm responding to with my note. Today I was only providing some info on why there isn't ESPN in Madden. Why did EA get the ESPN rights in the first place? I don't know. Nobody on the Madden team was involved. I found out about the deal with ESPN through a press release on the business wire.

My previous notes on Madden Mania match the sentiments of your last paragraph. We shouldn't need ESPN to have good presentation in the game. Presentation just has to be a priority. It was a priorty for 09 and we're not stopping there. You should expect see more effort in this area in the future with more details to be given next spring.

Phil
Old 12-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #40
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Please don't confuse what I'm responding to with my note. Today I was only providing some info on why there isn't ESPN in Madden. Why did EA get the ESPN rights in the first place? I don't know. Nobody on the Madden team was involved. I found out about the deal with ESPN through a press release on the business wire.

My previous notes on Madden Mania match the sentiments of your last paragraph. We shouldn't need ESPN to have good presentation in the game. Presentation just has to be a priority. It was a priorty for 09 and we're not stopping there. You should expect see more effort in this area in the future with more details to be given next spring.

Phil
Here's the thing. You say you don't know why EA grabbed up the license, and that's fine. You say you think that Madden can deliver "beyond broadcast" presentation without ESPN, also fine (though I think mere camera angles aren't the type of presentation many are pining for). Even the reasoning you vaguely referenced for not fully realising the ESPN license makes sense to me.

What I don't understand is why you completely ignore the license other than to stream stuff into the game that anyone with a radio or computer can get at home. I'm not saying you can't have great presentation without ESPN, but what I DO think is that it doesn't hurt. Why not use all of your resources. Use NFL Network stuff for your off-season and franchise presentation (maybe even as a change-up for late season Thursday games). Use ESPN for things like sportscenter wrapups and highlights, etc. Use a combo for draft and news updates (ie differing takes on personnel moves, locker room turmoil, etc). The EA "beyond broadcast" stuff can be used for the gameday presentation, etc. I don't see the problem.

My only point is you can effectively use all your resources in a manner the consumer wants and still have the EA brand of "beyond broadcast" stand strong. You say nobody on the Madden crew had anything to do with the ESPN license, but since someone gave it to you, you might as well get some legs out of it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 12-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »