Home

WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

This is a discussion on WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: WhyThe ESPN License Will Never Be Fully Integrated Into EA Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
has anyone stopped to think that the reason its not used is because ESPN simply doesn't want to use it in the same manner as they did in 2k? Meaning, they don't want to offer up the personalities like they did for 2k? Also, what about trying to keep the NFL happy by not "cheapening" its network.

Remember, the NFL is doing its best to promote its own NFL Network(Thanksgiving night game, Thursday night games, etc..) and I don't think the NFL would appreciate EA & ESPN just basically crapping on them by using a full blown ESPN presentation.

And to say that by EA taking the ESPN license away from 2k prevented them from making another football is silly in my opinion. Taking away the license only prevented 2k from being able to use the ESPN likeness and its personalities. In no way did they prohibit them from continuing the tremendous presentation that 2k became famous for. Look at CHoops 2k8. That game had amazing presenatation, as does the NBA 2K series, and neither have/had the ESPN likeness.

Also, if EA hadn't gotten the ESPN likeness, what are the chances, after losing the NFL license, that 2k would've re-signed the deal with ESPN anyways? Would it have been beneficial anymore? Maybe, maybe not. And don't forget, EA and ESPN have been partners for years. Remember the NFL Matchup that was on ESPN with Merrill Hoge and Jaws? That was brought to you by EA Sports.

EA's scooping up the ESPN license didn't hurt 2k in any shape or form when it came to developing and successfully selling football games. EA's getting the NFL license destroyed whatever chances 2k had at being a competitor in the football genre.

Just my .02

No, it didn't PREVENT them, CB, but it certainly did deter them by basically forcing them to throw out 2k5 and start from scratch with players, teams, stadiums, and most of all presentation. It would have been a VERY tall order fro them to regroup and put out a decent game to compete at all with Madden given all that was taken away from 2k5. From a business standpoint, they (take 2) would have been crazy to even attempt it.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 28

Honestly I dont care about ESPN. I get the fact why EA has it and its simply so that ESPN can get a piece of maddens profit and enhance their audience. Video games have become a strong marketing tool for every company so this isnt big for me. All I care about Phil is when I play madden, outside of me PERSONALLY rippin a ball carrier in half or throwing a fade to a reciever, I want my whole body to tingle and all the hairs on my skin to be at attention when a game is under way. If you fix nothing else in 2010 fix this aspect. Crowds off the hook, stadiums so loud that it vibrates the screen. If I light up a player running the crowd responds with, "Oooooooo" I mean, outside of playing the game in real life, I want to feel this game. Like dawkins said in 08, "can you this? Can you feel whats about to happen on this field." I will be honest, up to this point I havent felt anything but a trade in. Not being negative, just telling you were the previuos game has left most of us.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
No, it didn't PREVENT them, CB, but it certainly did deter them by basically forcing them to throw out 2k5 and start from scratch with players, teams, stadiums, and most of all presentation. It would have been a VERY tall order fro them to regroup and put out a decent game to compete at all with Madden given all that was taken away from 2k5. From a business standpoint, they (take 2) would have been crazy to even attempt it.
It's the presentation format that hurt 2K8. Not being able to use ESPN didn't prevent them from continuing the same format they had from 2K5. They just didn't put the same effort into the format as they did with 2K5, and according to the devs a lot of it had to do with 2K8 really being a pretty much rushed product.

I think a lot of people thought they'd been working on APF for years, but the devs stated emphatically that they worked on the game on a shorter than normal cycle even for a football game, and so there were some things they just didn't have time to do.

To sum up, if Madden had a similar (but should be better) presentation format to 2K5 but simply had "EA Sports" in the overlays instead of ESPN, we'd still enjoy it because the format would finally be TV-Styled. And I'll say this to any Madden Devs watching... what you do with post-play reactions and cameras, and the playcall screen (we need a new one... full screen, clear picture that never leaves the field and shows continuous happenings like the "Madden Next Gen" video had) is going to be the key component. If you stuff this with lots of hot visuals and atmosphere people will be impressed.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
My thought is that you're incorrect. I've read on more than one occasion that the reason ESPN is not fully integrated into Madden is to kind of keep peace w/ the NFL. Apparently, if they blow out the ESPN presentation, the NFL and NFL Network will feel slighted and vice versa. That's why I think they try to be generic in their approach instead of going all the way w/ ESPN or the NFL Network theme.

For all who still don't relize this is the answer to why its not being used. As said from Phil himself.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #61
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

^
If that were true then how come ESPN presentation has not made it into any other EA Sports game? I highly doubt the NBA, NCAA, or the PGA could care less if EA Sports used ESPN in game. The Fact that EA's reluctance to use ESPN in the game means to me that the EA Big Wigs are trying to further the EA Brand.

ESPN for Monday Night Football, NFL Network for Thursday Night Football, and EA for everything else. 99% of people would be very happy with that. This is the one thing that really makes me angry about EA Sports.

Like i Said before, If Madden can create a true NFL broadcast presentation, more power to them. The Lack of ESPN does not kill this game for me, it is a bit disappointing but it is not a game killer. Hopefully Madden 10 will come through and create an amazing football game with awesome presentation.

P.S. Have faith in Phil and Ian, I gotta good feeling as well about madden 10.

Last edited by Cusefan; 12-13-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #62
Banned

OVR: 24

I agree with Phil completely on one thing - they don't need ESPN for great presentation.
They just need great presentation period.
Hell, no one complained when NFL2k5 was using fake nerdy announcers.

If the presentation is great, no one will care if the ESPN logo is splashed everywhere.

That said, Madden is about 15/100 where presentation is concerned, so there's a ton of work to be done.

Cris Collinsworth was a good start. He is excellent in Madden 09. Too bad the rest of the presentation lags sooooooo far behind.

I'd kill for a few days with the Madden team ... though, after my trip to EA Canada, I understand the limitations they face.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
I agree with Phil completely on one thing - they don't need ESPN for great presentation.
They just need great presentation period.
Hell, no one complained when NFL2k5 was using fake nerdy announcers.

If the presentation is great, no one will care if the ESPN logo is splashed everywhere.

That said, Madden is about 15/100 where presentation is concerned, so there's a ton of work to be done.

Cris Collinsworth was a good start. He is excellent in Madden 09. Too bad the rest of the presentation lags sooooooo far behind.

I'd kill for a few days with the Madden team ... though, after my trip to EA Canada, I understand the limitations they face.
I couldn't agree more. I don't care WHO they use as announcers or what "network" they use for presentation....just make the game come to life!! Make it feel like we're watching an NFL game on TV, with decent commentary, good cutscenes, good overlays....the works, and I'll be happy (IF they fix the gameplay, too).
Old 12-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #64
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
I couldn't agree more. I don't care WHO they use as announcers or what "network" they use for presentation....just make the game come to life!! Make it feel like we're watching an NFL game on TV, with decent commentary, good cutscenes, good overlays....the works, and I'll be happy (IF they fix the gameplay, too).
Yup, Once EA gets the presentation aspect down they can finally create their own Sports Network. That way when we Play EA SPorts game it will be like a real broadcast!

Or Disney could just buy EA, either way its good for the Sports fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »