Home

Need help with running the ball

This is a discussion on Need help with running the ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Rookie

DaNextPhenom25's Arena

OVR: 4
Need help with running the ball

I can't seem to run the ball very well, I usually have 40-50 yds a game. I play on My Skill with an IQ of 652, my pass and rush are all madden, pass d and run d at all pro. I can't run outside because DE's shred blocks like warm butter. The inside is shut down most of the time. I don't know what to do anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Need help with running the ball

Only tip I have for you is, run behind a lineman. Do NOT sprint out the gate, unless you have an immediate hole. Most RBs will juke with out the right analog stick if you move them in and out of lanes. Hope this helps a little bit, I get on avg, 75-100 yds a game. More realistic, don't know what you are looking for. I'm out!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I usually use dual hb and than run with the fb, I avg around 100 yards a game especially online if you sick two rbs like the falcons with Turner and Nerwood, or with the chargers sproles and tomlionson deadly .
Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14

mix up your plays, use pass and run plays out of same formation, use your lineman block feature, also, occasionally spread the offense out , 4 wideouts and run the ball. I have found the user control blocking to help as well as mixing up plays. Know when to audible out of a run based on the defense they show you as well and when to check into a run when def coverage dictates it. It has worked for me. I am not great at running, but am much better than I was.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

here are my tips:

1. Don't use sprint until the hole is open, using sprint actually attracts the defense magically lol.

2. Know your running back, if you don't have a beast (like I don't when I use Addai), run up the middle and fall for a few yards a few times until you can get the d keying on the middle, then BAM hit them with a stretch or counter play to the outside.

3. Run behind weapons (Run Block weapon).... Run away from Dline weapons (bull Rush weapon)... Change the play to run to the side where you have the advantage.

4. Focus less on sprint and more on the special move buttons, they seem to work better when not sprinting.

Some of this may not be as necessary with your

yep yep
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 11

I switch out my RB's once one of them runs a first down, and about 90 percent of my runs are up the gut, and the other 10 percent is usually a stretch..

Once my running fails, I pass until I get to the goal line area, and then I start running again from there.

At the end of all of it, I usually end of with about 150-175 yds rushing and 200 yds passing on All Madden.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 33

I find that if you don't hit sprint until your hb gets the ball, the lineman don't break their blocks.

So only hold sprint when your halfback gets the ball.

If you hold sprint when the ball is snapped, the dlinemen seem to break their blocks.

Maybe the defense see the halfback is running too fast without the ball and are cheating for a run blitz?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #8

LL-Cool-P's Arena

OVR: 18

Make sure to use O-line shifts!

Press L2 (PS3) and then right, left, up or down on the right analog stick for the different shifts.

This helps the blockers set up easier.

Don't overuse the sprint button!

Mix up run & pass plays and play-action plays.

- Back like I never left -

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »