Home

AI Pass Blocking

This is a discussion on AI Pass Blocking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
AI Pass Blocking

Ok made some observations here: - (sorry I only got this years Madden a few weeks back)

Firstly, these are all playing with MY SKILL settings (which are all generally quite high)

19 times out of 20, the ai knows exactly who is blitzing. Just try some examples. A 3-4 D with a Cover 2 called, and then you tell an outside backer to blitz..here comes the hip tap. You call same Cover 2, but tell em to "show blitz"--no reaction. Do the same, but then actually audible to a blitz, hip taps, flurry of changes, motion everything. Isn't this just a bit stoopid and annoying?

Then there's the actual pass blocking. The D line just don't rush like the ai's Rushers do. The ai pass rushers seem to find a sensible, and realistic way to get to the QB using their moves. Your rushers seem to have only one purpose, find a man to block you. I've played up to wk 14 as The Jets, and mostly control Jenkins at NT. He has power moves and strength almost at 100 both. You'd think at least a sensible amount of the time, he could overpower a pass blocker one on one. But that would be realistic , this is Madden. I might even try editing an opposition and putting their kicker at Guard or Center. Bet he couldn't overpower them either.

Am I the only one, who feels that I'm following a pre scripted game, when playing D (and sometimes O to)?

Now here's the strangest. I always do a highlight package at the end of each franchise game. I have 5 manually earned sacks in the season, all from rushing wide with DE or fast LB. And you know what? Every single time, I get "this play is not available". This has never happened with any other play.

Bit like saying "that shouldn't have happened" eh?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: AI Pass Blocking

The cpu knows your play. Knows when you hot route. Knows when you really audible.

It really does feel scripted.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
MVP

zeroice's Arena

OVR: 50
Wink Re: AI Pass Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
Ok made some observations here: - (sorry I only got this years Madden a few weeks back)

Firstly, these are all playing with MY SKILL settings (which are all generally quite high)

19 times out of 20, the ai knows exactly who is blitzing. Just try some examples. A 3-4 D with a Cover 2 called, and then you tell an outside backer to blitz..here comes the hip tap. You call same Cover 2, but tell em to "show blitz"--no reaction. Do the same, but then actually audible to a blitz, hip taps, flurry of changes, motion everything. Isn't this just a bit stoopid and annoying?

Then there's the actual pass blocking. The D line just don't rush like the ai's Rushers do. The ai pass rushers seem to find a sensible, and realistic way to get to the QB using their moves. Your rushers seem to have only one purpose, find a man to block you. I've played up to wk 14 as The Jets, and mostly control Jenkins at NT. He has power moves and strength almost at 100 both. You'd think at least a sensible amount of the time, he could overpower a pass blocker one on one. But that would be realistic , this is Madden. I might even try editing an opposition and putting their kicker at Guard or Center. Bet he couldn't overpower them either.

Am I the only one, who feels that I'm following a pre scripted game, when playing D (and sometimes O to)?

Now here's the strangest. I always do a highlight package at the end of each franchise game. I have 5 manually earned sacks in the season, all from rushing wide with DE or fast LB. And you know what? Every single time, I get "this play is not available". This has never happened with any other play.

Bit like saying "that shouldn't have happened" eh?

I feel your pain, they were trying to make it more of an offensive powerhouse, next year will be defense again...Just use the audible stick right stick (xbox 360) swich between man and zone and back again before the snap, show blitz back out move the defensive lineman in pinch and spread the LB call a safety blitz..Double or triple team a man...be different its a computer..Easy to fool it, its not a real person, its very predictable for example play a quarter defense then switch to a goalline audible and back to zone and watch the difference in the rush......
Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: AI Pass Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroice
I feel your pain, they were trying to make it more of an offensive powerhouse, next year will be defense again...Just use the audible stick right stick (xbox 360) swich between man and zone and back again before the snap, show blitz back out move the defensive lineman in pinch and spread the LB call a safety blitz..Double or triple team a man...be different its a computer..Easy to fool it, its not a real person, its very predictable for example play a quarter defense then switch to a goalline audible and back to zone and watch the difference in the rush......
Yeah thanks, but no thanks, if you know what I mean. There probably are some ways (as you mentioned), but the 1/4 - goaline - zone, would take away any remaining vague semblance of it being a football game. May as well give the linemen Hockey sticks, that would get them sacks too

It really is an arcade game isn't it, which is very sad for myself as a lover of the Madden series in general. I think the exclusion of ai sliders kinda killed this year's replayability for franchise play...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »