Home

Small favor...looking for 09 "bulletin board material"

This is a discussion on Small favor...looking for 09 "bulletin board material" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 38
Re: Small favor...looking for 09 "bulletin board material"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey76
"If It's In The Game, It's In the Game"!
Probably the greatest quote ever said by man
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #34
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Here is some things I said:

Quote:
1) I hate not having players react the way they should. I just had Brian Urlacher bust through the line and nail the running back...And the Bears went back to the huddle like nothing happened. In real life a bunch of players would have been around Urlacher pushing him around and getting excited because of the big play.

2) Hit stick..It needs to be retooled. 95% of my tackles in every game are a hit stick...and that doesn't matter if I am playing the computer or a human opponent.

3) While there is fatigue in madden..its not implemented correctly. If I run 80 yards with Devin Hester..on the next play he will be in "red". Yet during that whole 80 yard run, devin hester is running at 100 speed..Obviously in real life, players with pads on cannot run their fastest for 80 yards. They will eventually decrease in speed because of fatigue.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...6-post180.html link to post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Ummm.... How big is your bulletin board ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
While most of the posts have seemed to deal with presentation and immersion ideas, I feel that gameplay-related issues should be the crux of the improvements for next-years installment:
1. IMO, above all other things, lineplay needs to be adjusted the most:
a. there needs to be much more lateral movement involved in the running game (watch film from the endzone perspective of an nfl game and notice how much both lines are displaced laterally and then replicate that in the game). this is the whole idea behind how zone schemes work, by stretching the defense side-to-side, while creating 2 ol on a dl and lb in an attempt to create a vertical seam by pushing frontside dl laterally and cutting off backside defenders. i personally don't feel that the running game is too hard from the players perspective, but the cpu running game would be more successfull using a more realistic approach, and it would allow for more consistency by the human player instead of the "homerun or strikeout" plays we have now
b. pass protection and pass rush needs to be tweaked considerablly as well. as many people have already stated, there needs to be a more defined pocket. again, using "tight copy" or endzone film would give the programmers a better idea of what type of interactions occur during passing plays. there are way to many "cut block" animations on pass plays, and too much of a stalemate that occurs on contact, especially on the edges. More movement should occur after contact, but with the ol staying on their blocks, there doesn't really seem to be any true "bull-rush" techniques; either the dl gets stoned, cut, or an ol completely whiffs in the current game
c. more improvement in blocking schemes: this is one area that was definitely improved, but still needs some work as there is still not any real gap-blocking or trap schemes. these are fundamental type plays and are very popular in the nfl, even more so than in college (most spread teams are almost exclusively zone now) and not having them in my mind is akin to a basketball game not having a pick and roll. there are simple rules to these plays that i don't think would take alot of code to introduce, but i have no background in programming as my career is in football.
2. The passing game was improved this year over almost any other year, but there is a true lack of intermediate routes and concepts. In the game, all routes are either under 10 yds, or deep and i would like to see some intermediate routes, even though i will say that most of the concepts behind the plays transfer over from the real-life counterparts. Obviously, the pass protection/pass rush issues come to play here, but i've already mentioned those.
3. Pass defense has become a big issue, and the main reason is the lack of defensive fundamentals. Pass defenders don't aimlessly drop into pre-determined zones, instead they read the route stems of the receivers opposite them and then react in an effort to "read" the pattern and cover the receiver that ends up nearest to their zone. I know that this is a complicated concept that is hard enough to teach to players, much less to instill into a video game, but I guess what i'm asking is for defenders to do a better job of covering the closest receiver to their "zone" of coverage. Spot-dropping has went the way of the dinosaur and there has to be some way of implementing pattern-reading zone schemes. Man-to-man needs to be cleaned up also, mainly the ability of crossing routes to become wide open. In cuts are the hardest route to cover in a man scheme with no help, but the amount of separation that occurs is more often than not too great, which brings me to my next point.
4. The differences in speed between players of different skill sets is way too great. i feel that this has been heading in the right direction the past couple of years, but still isn't quite right. The numbers-based ratings should not be used as a percentage a player with a 90 speed rating shouldn't be 50% faster than a player with a 60 rating. Let's say the 90 rated player ran a 4.4, did the 60 rated player run a 6.6, i don't think so.
5. I kept quaterback play separate from the passing game, because i think it is a separate issue. This has always been a problem in videogame football, and i don't know the answer, but i wish there was a true difference in playing with a successful quarterback, like peyton mannig as opposed to one with more problems, like trent edwards. Like i said, i don't know how to fix it, the vision cone was a step in right direction, but just didn't seem to work, but i wish something could be done.
6. the kicking game needs to be a little more difficult. there should be some sort of timing issue involved or a different way of mapping the stick movements, as a kickers leg doesn't move straight back and straight forward and he has to time up the pronation of his foot as well as the swing of his leg.
7. more realistic franchise with better simmed stats, a way for human ol to compete with cpu linemen in pancake stats, better draft logic, free-agent movements, human injuries, 45 man active rosters with room for practice players, players on ir not counting against the 54 man rosters and of course, fully supported online franchises.

I know this probably sounds like a lot, but i'm sure you guys can do it given the resources. maybe an addendum to this list is to get more feedback from people who truly know the game of football and who also love to play the games.

Thanks for all the hard work
Bro...you need to break this up...Nobody will ever read this because its too hard to read...You might have something in there but because of the poor paragraph structure (or lack therof) nobody will ever read it
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 25

Ian-

I sent you a pm, check it out when you get a chance.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #38
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...adden-vip.html

From me:

Quote:

I really wish there was a Madden VIP section to the game, where it kept track of your stats. EX:

W/L
User tackles
User Picks
User catches
User Sacks
Average points scored
Average passing/running yards
Etc.

and you could compare them to your friends' stats online as well.

This has been on my mind for awhile and just wanted to get it out there.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #39
Banned

From the "WHY CAN't MADDEN LOOK LIKE THIS" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Madden has great graphics if nothing else. Its playbook art looks better too.

I will concede APF has superior gameplay and what not, but not graphics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Indivual player models? Madden's are better.

What 2K did well though, was create the overall graphics package.

Snow on the top of the pylons, referees and chaingangs, nets behind the goal posts, rain splashing off helmets, sideline interaction.

THAT is what made the game so immersive. If Madden could have it's current player models in the APF environment... Holy cow, we would be in for a treat.
From the "What we should expect from Madden 2010 and Beyond" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
While we're borrowing things from fifa.

lets take their celebration system as well. Its 1000x better than the current madden system.

Theres 30 combos and and infinite possibility of celebrations in fifa. No 2 celebrations are ever exactly the same.

Theres only about 2 or 3 you can do in madden...
If I was a developer this post might bring a tear to my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Ian, please, please, PLEASE prove us wrong about Madden 2010. I swear, I'll gladly eat crow three times a day for ten years if I'm wrong. I just want to love this game again the way I did in the old days. Turn Madden back into the incredible experience that we know it can be. I'm just so cynical because of all the disappointments we've had in recent years.
Ian's new favorite Poster breaks it down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Well, football has been America's number one sport for a long time now. Basketball never competed with it (I remember when the NBA Finals were shown on tape delay... that was brutal... that would've never happened with the Super Bowl), and I'd say ever since the MLB started having all that trouble back in the early 90's the NFL has run away with the popularity and it hasn't even been close since.

I do agree though that there is something to the rapid decline of Madden since the exclusive license. I haven't really been a big fan of the game since the 90's (it's true glory years), but I can still see that the game today is lacking just compared to last gen, and it really amazes me that some of the same issues from last gen are still in Madden today, and then to see other EA franchises really making big strides... that really burns.
Tyrant knows the road from hero to goat is a short on at OS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I really dont know what to expect. Ian and Phil are active in here, but im still skeptical about the game being a really good football game.

I just get this feeling that the game is going to look better but the AI is going to bad.

I guess its just a reaction to how the game has been in the last 3 years, so much focus on grahics and nothing on gameplay, so till I see it ill believe it.

Oh well only time will tell, but I can say this with IAN and Phil being active in here I cant see then not gving it thier all, cause of the trouble they will get coming back in here lol.

Good Luck Ian and Phil.

Last edited by dat swag; 01-03-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #40
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

I haven't posted anything yet but I think it's time.

Madden 09 is extremely boring to me. I played it for a week and had to put it down. It was a combination of things for me. Presentation wasn't appealing and gameplay was horrible. Robo qb was there, terrible pursuit angles, lack of sliders to fix things with, terrible playcalling. It just got extremely boring to me due to lack of realism. It didn't feel like football at all. Just too many things wrong for me to play and such big things wrong that I stopped noticing the things that it got right. The thing that really makes me wish that madden was better is that the devs that have been participating on the forums want what I and other OSers do but yet it never manages to make it in the game. I really think that Madden 10 can be great but previous years have me extremely worried. Please listen and take ideas from LBZrule and Joborule on new features to get in and most of all ask questions so that they can get in and be properely implemented. I really hope that Madden 10 will be great

Last edited by RAZRr1275; 01-03-2009 at 09:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »