Home

Ian, Madden 2010 and beyond...

This is a discussion on Ian, Madden 2010 and beyond... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Ian, Madden 2010 and beyond...

I've been a Madden fanatic for 20 yrs. Haven't missed one launch, and have often purchased the game on different platforms just to see even subtle differences (IE: Sega Genesis ams SNES, and now 360 and PS3).

That said, everyone that is a fan of this game has been through many releases, and the cycle never seems to end. Ian, im not here to bash Madden, i love the game. Also, i really do believe that you guys at Tiburon DO CARE, and are passionate about the game. I believe that EA corporate and the powers that be put demands and restraints on many things, basically taking alot of control out of developers hands.

IMHO, the only thing that would take the Madden series to the "next" level is a complete engine overhaul. I mean, 2009 is a very solid game, but it is still plagued by inherent legacy problems in the gameplay dept. that plague the game every year. I think in my heart Tuburon has taken this engine as far as it can go. Madden 2009 was very solid, no major bugs or outright gamebreaking glitches. What is starting to happen is that the gameplay is getting predictable and a bit stale.

Basically, we should be literally getting a "WOW" factor out of Madden. Every game should feel like an entirely new and different experience, like anything can happen. For this to happen, i think this current engine needs to be scrapped in favor of a true next gen engine where brand new physics allow for much broader gameplay advances. Player models should all have different looks and physiques. All QB's arent built exactly alike. You should be able to tell a clear difference not only from one position player to the next, but even individual players of same positions should look and feel different. The entire animation system needs MORE. More realistic running, catching, throwing, tackling. You shouldn't feel after a few weeks that you have seen everything the game has to offer.

Presentation needs serious work. There should be automatic replays that show multiple and varied camera angles, even go back and show replays of penalty's called, pan to the Ofeensive coordinator after a big play, show the Head coach on the sideline after big plays, show the coaches talking to players after a bad play. Just more TV style presentation and stat overlays to make the game FEEL fresh and new every time.

Playbooks need alot more attention to detail, and every team should have some unique formations and plays. As it stands now, many playbooks feel the same.....stale.

The AI needs to get a major upgrade. How many times has EA tried to balance out the "Jetpack" or "Rocket Catch", basically any manual catch and never seems to get it right? The DB AI and more realistic physics are needed. Even guys who are masters at manual catching conversly cannot stop a great manual catcher, so basically the offense ALWAYS has the upper hand in Madden.

Ian, i just feel as a lifelong Madden series fanatic that alot of what we are looking for wont happen unless the game engine itself is completely reworked from the ground up. Many of us blame the 1 year production cycle, many of us blame Madden success and EA Corporates "If it aint broke, and its selling, dont fix it" attitude that most likely hampers Tiburon's vision or plans for the game.

Like i said, im not bashing the game or you guys hard work, its just sad when Madden 2009 is most likely in many ways the best Madden to date, and at the same time it feels stale and dated. I just feel you guys have taken the engine to its heights, and the only thing that can breathe new life into the series is a complete overhaul. Thanks for your time!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Ian, Madden 2010 and beyond...

http://www.operationsports.com/Ian_C...-a-new-engine/

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 12

I feel you Rza...Good points

Ya boy Afrizzle "aka SPLASH"
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
Madden 2009 was very solid, no major bugs or outright gamebreaking glitches.
Did you and I play the same Madden 09 game??? There were SEVERAL major bug and gamebreaking glitches. Just read the "bugs and glitches" thread....TONS of problems.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro

That was a good read, but my initial point is the same. Ian himself in that blog mentioned they "tweak" and "add", sometimes "rewrite", but that is why Madden hasn't changed all that much in many years.

I look at other EA developers and titles in the past that clearly show why building an entirely new game ground up is better than tweaking and adding to a game/engine that has existed for many years.

Remember Triple play baseball? That game was total trash, and im guessing it probably showed in the sales. How about Knockout Kings? Well with these two sports titles, EA and those specific titles took a year off (maybey a bit more) and the results were the MVP Baseball series and the FIGHT NIGHT series. Both EA's Baseball and boxing titles were clearly 100% better than their previous counterparts.

I just believe that Madden is without question EA's 800 LB Gorilla, and cannot afford to mess with its flagship title. This is where the 1 year development cycle issue comes into play. All im saying is no matter how they have to do it, the entire game of Madden needs reworked. AI, animations, physics, and all the features and bells and whistles like presentation.

Since there is no way in hell EA will take a year off from Madden, the only other option would be for Tiburon to have started this process behind the scenes, or at the very least have 2 main Madden teams (kinda like Infinity Ward and Treyarch with the Call of Duty series). One team will have the full 2 year development cycle, and the in between years they can use the business model they have currently, which is to tweak the gameplay and add a feature or two, update the rosters etc. This would ensure EA's annual release but also give the series the love and freshness it deserves.

I just feel that Madden is such a huge franchise, and its so beloved, that we the fans should get the VERY BEST in technology, development, and overall quality in the product. The issue still remains though, why should corporate EA spend more time and money in development when what they have always sells? Madden has become like McDonalds, in that you always know what you get. Thats great for Hamburgers, but not so great in the gaming world. Most people dont want to have the same experience over and over again. They want to be floored when they pop the disc in. When i buy Madden 2010, i know what to expect. A solid playing game, but same ol same ol stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Did you and I play the same Madden 09 game??? There were SEVERAL major bug and gamebreaking glitches. Just read the "bugs and glitches" thread....TONS of problems.
Let me say i only play head to head and online, i NEVER play season, franchise, or any other single player modes. That said, there were no MAJOR glitches rendering the game UNplayable, such as in years past like the "Juke Glitch", or "Quicksand glitch" from 2005 that killed gameplay. Were there some annoying things about the gameplay that are overeffective, like Rocket catching etc? Absolutely, but nothing i would label downright glitches.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
I look at other EA developers and titles in the past that clearly show why building an entirely new game ground up is better than tweaking and adding to a game/engine that has existed for many years.
Are you aware that building Madden from the ground up is what has gotten us in the mess that we're in now? Madden was started from scratch when they came to the next gen systems.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Are you aware that building Madden from the ground up is what has gotten us in the mess that we're in now? Madden was started from scratch when they came to the next gen systems.

I dont think so rgiles. We were led to believe so, but after playing this game from the very beginning it just looks, feels, and plays alot like the older versions of the game. Only difference is the HD resolutions and other visual effects, and the fact they took away some gameplay features. This game is NOT an entirely new game and or engine, it was just stepped up for better and more powerful hardware.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »