Home

Has madden gotten worse or better since the 2003 version?

This is a discussion on Has madden gotten worse or better since the 2003 version? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Has madden gotten worse or better since the 2003 version?

I see the 2003 version of madden has gotten a review score of 9.2 on gamespot.com so Im assuming this is the best madden ever. Now I cant say I remember exactly which madden was the best or worst( bought madden every year since i can rememeber) but I feel like the game is getting worse. And the review scores will agree. Scoring lower and lower every year.

Now this thread isnt to be negative but to try and improve the game and spark some discussion.

Basically I dont see many improvements in the series which is a concern. I am sure there is a good reason for each year the series not changing much. Mainly and im assuming mainly because the product is doing so well sales wise that they would be stupid to make major changes even if it were for the better. Its too risky. Now I understand that but if you want to compete with halo and gta you have to be willing to take risks and innovate! Come on lets take a gamble lets take a risk. I assure you that if you make the game more realistic you will sell more copies not only get the hardcore people to buy it like you had with nfl head coach 09.

If you made the most realistic simulation ever people who only like soccer or only like basketball or only like baseball will buy madden. Because quite frankly people like great games. If you make a great product it will sell. I know you guys are selling like crazy but why not try to keep improving. Why not take some risks? Risks that make sense and have great thought put behind it. Thats all I ask. Not trying to make anyone mad or anything just trying to help improve the product. I love madden and will continue to buy the game year after year. Simply because I love football and love video games. I just want the best for this franchise.

With mad love

CantGetRight69
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Has madden gotten worse or better since the 2003 version?

I won't say the game has not gotten better, imo that would be a bit harsh and not exactly accurate. While the game has made marked improvement in some areas...it has been stagnate in others, and in some areas it has even regressed imo.

Like most others here, I do have a renewed sense of curiousity at this point. But, I can say with confidence that I feel as though the game has gotten better.

Try going back and playing those old 2002/03 versions...you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Madden 05 was the best one ever released! The Next-Gen Madden has disappointed. And I hope this one delivers...if not its either 2K5 for Life or Madden 09...and all its underachievement
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 18

I definately think Madden has improved in some areas since the 2003 addition.

The graphics are far better now. The gameplay has many more advanced options and controls offering a much more diverse and comprehensive playcalling experience. The online play and support is much improved. I agree that 2003-2005 were the pinacle years for the Madden franchise and since its move to current-gen consoles it has struggled to regain a forward moving momentum.

The mechanics of Madden are virtually unchanged since 2003 and I think rightfully so. I think Madden 09's gameplay is excellent for the most part. However, EA still needs to re-incorporate some AI sliders to fix the unrealistic stats and super-human behavior of its CPU players. These sliders existed in 2003 but are strangely missing 7 years later. I think EA got too wrapped up in Madden I.Q. last season - a great ideat that just doesn't work yet. We need to be able to customize the gameplay experience for ourselves and that means working CPU AI sliders and lots of them.

The other big issue facing Madden is that there hasnt been a big push for presentation since last-generation consoles. Sure the graphics are a lot more realistic now, but the way EA is showing off their product has been largely uninspired and generic. Id go so far to say that presentation has actually taken steps backwards. There were multiple camera options way back in 2003, but now we can only watch and play Madden from either the Madden Cam or the Classic Cam (both of which are similar to one another and far from broadcast quality or perspective).While these are great angles to play from, the lack of choice really takes players out of the experience because its not broadcast authentic and does not mirror the experience of playing real NFL game.

Overall, EA needs to bring dynamic presentation back to Madden in a big way. Here we are going into Madden's 5th year on the Xbox360 and we still are looking at games from last-gen because they had a superior broadcast aesthetic (especially 2K5 which continues to be the defining sports game in terms of presentation). I sincerely hope EA focuses on putting these tired comparisons to bed in with Madden 2010.

If there is one shining light for the future of Madden, it's that EA finally got rid of that boring radio announcer for some real commentary. How it took 4 years to bring back a fundamental feature like good commentary is beyond me, but at least its back. It's debatable how good the play by play was last year, but I was happy to see EA taking steps in the right direction. I see this as an indication that the Madden team is finally going back to basics to fix those key issues that have fallen by the wayside since moving to the Xbox360. I expect that we will see this effort continue to improve the game's presentation in Madden 2010. Much like what EA has done to reinvigorate its slipping NBA Live franchise, it's imparative to fix fundamental issues before adding superlative (unimportant) features like Madden I.Q, Rewind and Superstar Mode. Only by addressing and fixing gameplay and presentation principals will Madden propel forward and offer up the console-defining sports game experience it once was.

Last edited by johnprestonevans; 01-15-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

Our expectations have grown , faster than the madden franchise has grown.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

I don't think Madden has gotten any better over the next-gen years.... I still see too many robotic animations... Quarterbacks are too stiff; they hold the ball way too high, they need to relax a little..****nning animations are very robotic....their legs don't bend correctly...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I actually hated '03, felt that it was over rated. I returned it because that's the year it became a pick 6 fest, and has been ever since.

'02 though, was the best IMO. I never played a madden more.

Overall, I'd say it has not gotten better in the areas that I want it to be better since '02.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Worse.

EA has not been able to keep up with the times (meaning technology). While other games this generation have had a wow factor with technology, it seems like EA does not have the skills, effort, and/or knowledge to produce a truely next generation football game with mindblowing graphics, immersive presentation, and tremendously intelligent gameplay.

But the kicker is this... its not that they haven't been able to keep up, but they have REGRESSED. losing TONS of features and tid-bits that had ALREADY existed

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »