Home

FRANCHISE PROGRESS

This is a discussion on FRANCHISE PROGRESS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
FRANCHISE PROGRESS

I wanted to start a thread for those who want to talk about the franchise they are playing in, and what progress they've made w/ thier teams i.e. success or lack thereof, hirings/firings, acquistions, draft, etc.

Let the posting begin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: FRANCHISE PROGRESS

I wish I had much more progress to talk about.

But anyway....I'm six games into my Vikings franchise and I'm 3-3. The good thing is I've settled on my setup. I'm playing with All-Madden default settings, and my games so far have been fairly realistic.

For me, just finding the right game level/slider settings [if any] is the biggest battle. So I feel now I'm ready to move forward and make the best of '09'.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: FRANCHISE PROGRESS

i made it a full 8 1/2(7-0 Fins, 7 min qtrs, AllMadden) games into a franchise this year which is the most ive played offline in years. Sadly, though, somewhere in that 9th game I just realized that there would be absolutely nothing new, different, or challenging no matter how many games/seasons I played so I gave up and started simming through seasons. Simmed through 5 or 6 doing only offseason stuff, turned it off for the day, and have barely touched Madden since--online or off. That was about a month ago. It's sad when the premiere feature of a game just kills all interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

I'm into my 6th season of playing every game with the Bucs. I've slowly progressed the difficulty as I've gotten better at running etc. so I get relatively realistic stats. I've trained up Josh Johnson as my QB (signed as a rookie), he has good ratings but low awareness. I've trained him up to be around 90 overall but lately after a good season (where he throws 4000 yards and a very healthy TD to intercept ratio) he drops in rating... So I think I'm going to have to trade him away for a top pick and take a new QB with it... I'm not sure what to do. For the most part my franchise has the core group of Bucs still playing, I only loose players is they retire or their contract is up and I want to try my luck replacing them via the draft.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Well, I just moved into my dorms at school so I haven't brought my Xbox yet (no tv). But me and my friend from home had an awesome 2 person franchise going for awhile. I'm and Eagles fan and he's a Cowboys fan so naturally we took our favorite teams and started a franchise using the updated rosters (this was back in October).

He swept me the first season (beating me in both the week 2 Monday night meeting and in the week 17 meeting in Philly). His Cowboys finished 12-4, my Eagles finished 11-5. This is playing every game for both of our teams, mind you.

So on to the playoffs we both go. He gets HFA and I get the 5th seed and head to Lambeau to face the 4th seeded Packers. It was a tight game for awhile but I finally broke through late in the fourth when McNabb connected with DeSean Jackson for a long touchdown. I won the game 20-10.

So, on to Dallas it was. I had lost to him twice already and have had trouble playing him with the Eagles when he's the Cowboys (they just have so many weapons). But, in a miraculous game, I come back from down 14-0 early and beat him on a 51 yard David Akers field goal with 2 seconds left, 24-21.

We both thought I would cruise to a Super Bowl title, having to only beat the Seahawks in Seattle in the NFC Championship and then the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, my over-confidence got the best of me, as after I defeated Seattle, I fell to the Matt Cassel led Patriots in Super Bowl XLIII. McNabb got picked off three times (just like Super Bowl XXXIX) and I couldn't stop robo-QB. My friend couldn't believe it and I knew I had wasted my chance at a title.

The following year, I traded McNabb for a 1st round pick and drafted Matt Stafford. Unfortunately, Stafford was no Matt Ryan and I struggled to a 6-10 record while my friend and Dallas went on to win Super Bowl XLIV over the Chargers.

It was so infuriating, yet so fun. Despite all the flaws with Madden (and trust me, I can't stand them as much as the rest of you), these great times will always bring me back to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
Well, I just moved into my dorms at school so I haven't brought my Xbox yet (no tv). But me and my friend from home had an awesome 2 person franchise going for awhile. I'm and Eagles fan and he's a Cowboys fan so naturally we took our favorite teams and started a franchise using the updated rosters (this was back in October).

He swept me the first season (beating me in both the week 2 Monday night meeting and in the week 17 meeting in Philly). His Cowboys finished 12-4, my Eagles finished 11-5. This is playing every game for both of our teams, mind you.

So on to the playoffs we both go. He gets HFA and I get the 5th seed and head to Lambeau to face the 4th seeded Packers. It was a tight game for awhile but I finally broke through late in the fourth when McNabb connected with DeSean Jackson for a long touchdown. I won the game 20-10.

So, on to Dallas it was. I had lost to him twice already and have had trouble playing him with the Eagles when he's the Cowboys (they just have so many weapons). But, in a miraculous game, I come back from down 14-0 early and beat him on a 51 yard David Akers field goal with 2 seconds left, 24-21.

We both thought I would cruise to a Super Bowl title, having to only beat the Seahawks in Seattle in the NFC Championship and then the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, my over-confidence got the best of me, as after I defeated Seattle, I fell to the Matt Cassel led Patriots in Super Bowl XLIII. McNabb got picked off three times (just like Super Bowl XXXIX) and I couldn't stop robo-QB. My friend couldn't believe it and I knew I had wasted my chance at a title.

The following year, I traded McNabb for a 1st round pick and drafted Matt Stafford. Unfortunately, Stafford was no Matt Ryan and I struggled to a 6-10 record while my friend and Dallas went on to win Super Bowl XLIV over the Chargers.

It was so infuriating, yet so fun. Despite all the flaws with Madden (and trust me, I can't stand them as much as the rest of you), these great times will always bring me back to the game.
it is really good to hear/read these stories. i have not played this game since back in october but this makes me want to pop it in and start up a franchise. i'm glad people have fun with this game.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKEHB20
it is really good to hear/read these stories. i have not played this game since back in october but this makes me want to pop it in and start up a franchise. i'm glad people have fun with this game.
I agree. That was a really good story. Thanks for sharing skudplayr!

Twitch Stream
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

So yea...I decided to pop in Madden09 again to give it a go round, but this time a not so critical one.

Knowing that I can't change the game the way it is now I'm just accepting it for what it is - currently - and trying to have the best time I can w/ it.

Playing w/ "My Skill" diff. on 11 minute qtrs w/ CPU generated rookies.

I have a custom set that I used, but I wanted to give the "My Skill" another go-round to try and have a 'fresher' experience game to game.

In my resurrection of Madden the team I originally chose was the 49ers. However, I was unaware that there is a bug w/ them that would not allow me to train any players.

Nevertheless, I went ahead w/ the Detroit Lions. I wanted to sim throught the first season making sure they lost every single gm, and I did just that. The Lions went 0-16, and the Steelers beat the Bears in the Superbowl. Peyton Manning was the MVP.

It was on to the offseason...

Our favorite part of Madden right?

Staff Signings

Rob Marinelli OUT!

I tried to hire Jim Schwartz as my HC, but the Titans did so bad (5-11) that Fisher was fired and Schwartz was promoted as the Titans HC; thus not having a lick of interest in assuming the HC duties for an 0-16 team.

So my next choice was Ron Rivera. He easily accepted my offer to become HC of the Lions, and it was out w/ the old in w/ the new as we hired an entirely new staff; forgive me because I can't remember the names of the Coordinators.

Ron Rivera specializes in LB play.
The O Coord. I hired specializes in O-Line play.
The D Coord. I hired specializes in D-Line Play.
The S/T Coach I hired specializes in QB play.

Since scouting is broken I always hire the least talented scouting dept., scout my 5 players, and be done w/ it.

Re-Signings

As for re-signing's, I re-signed Culpepper to a 2 yr deal not knowing what my QB situation would be like, or who I would draft. I resigned a couple of above 70 O-Linemen and D-Linemen, and I resigned Shaun McDonald.

Rudi Johnson was cut, Paris Lenon was let go, and in order to shore up my secondary I made another trade for a CB; like Shaun Rogers for L. Bodden. I put Dewayne White on the block, and Arizona, whose only RE was a 77 OVR, offered up Rod Hood - I accepted.

Free Agency

In Free Agency I made a splash signing MLB Karlos Dansby to a big 4yr deal...(so far through 3 games in the 2009 season he is leading the league w/ 40 tackles after having an 18 tackle game against Baltimore in wk3).

After the signing of Dansby it was pretty much fill needs, and roster slots. There weren't any other blue chip players that I felt suited a rebuilding team.

With that in mind a gave 1yr deals to these players:

QB Andrew Walter, WR Maurice Stovall, WR Koren Robinson, WR Troy Williamson, TE Tory Humphrey, FS Josh Bullocks (Brother to D. Bullocks already on DET?), RB Rock Cartwright, a C and G to fill roster spots on the O-Line.

Onto the draft...

Of course the biggest need for this team is a QB...

So w/ the #1 overall pick I selected QB Wally Rivera from Ohio State. Rivera is an 80 OVR, and has great moblility w/ an 80 speed and 84 accelaration. His arm strength (prior to training) was an 88 and accuracy an 86. His size is good too, but can't remember his measurables at the moment.

2nd Rd - RB Todd Pratt, 72 OVR, also from Ohio St, this is probably one of those 'bust' type players. He was a top 10 player, but available in the 2nd rd, and I bit on him. Actually using him through 3 games though he has produced nicely when spelling Kevin Smith. His size is like Maurice Jones-Drew, and the only thing he really excels at, ratings wise, is pass blocking.

3rd Rd - Selected a DE who needs development.
4th Rd - Selected a OT who needs development.

5th Rd - *GEM* selected CB Elvis Bever (73 OVR), who has great size, and awesome attributes in coverage. I just need to up his AWR, but he is going to a special player for me I can tell.

6th Rd - Selected a TE who needs development.
7th Rd - Selected a OLB who needs development.

Onto the 2009 season...

Preseason - I ALWAYS Sim - I finished 1-3 w/ a win coming against the Cowboys.

On Offense - Culpepper started every game, but #1 overall pick QB Wally Rivera, put up better numbers than Culpepper throwing less picks, and 2 more TDs.

My thinking was if Daunte could knock me off my socks he would win the starting job, but his numbers were average at best and the Wally Rivera ERA officially begins.

My #1 WR is unquestionably Calvin Johnson, w/ Shaun McDonald at #2, and Koren Robinson tentatively gets the go as my slot receiver.

Maurice Stovall and Troy Williamson are 4/5, but either one could move up or down as the season progresses.

TE Tory Humphrey (85 speed) is my #1 TE w/ Michael Gaines # 2. I kept the same O-Line in tact hoping to build some consistency w/ that group, but 2nd yr pro Gosder Cherilus gets the starting RT job.

D-Line - Jared Devries starts at LE, and 2nd yr stud Cliff Avril gets the starts at RE. Ikaika Alama-Francis is my back-up to my ends, and I've got a rookie as my 4th DE. Corey Redding, who despite an 85 OVR plays like a beast, leads the way up front w/ vet Chuck Darby. I have 3 other DTs, who are all at/or above 75 OVR so there is good depth there.

LB Corps - This is my strongest part of my defense, and I think we have a great/young corps. Ernie Sims (Stud) is my ROLB, my prize FA signing Karlos Dansby is my MLB, and Darnell Bing w/ his 84 SPD and 80+Acc gets the start as my pass-rushing LOLB. Ryan Nece and Jordan Dizon assume back-up roles to all the LB spots, and play S/T for me.

Secondary - My 1 and 2 corners are Leigh Bodden and Roderick Hood (coming over from that Zona trade), my nickel back is Travis Fisher, and rookie Elvis Bever is my dime back.

My safeties are in need of an upgrade. I've got the Bullocks brothers for Free Safeties, but am not sold on either one; both are high 70s rated players. Youngster Gerald Alexander is my starting SS, but Stuart Schweigert is still on board and plays an active role in S/T and can possibly push for some PT.

Safety is a position where I will spend sometime developing a couple players after I have used up my development quotas on my rookies, but is very much a position which I am looking to fill via FA, or w/ a high draft choice. I'm not really sold on any Safety that I have on my team currently.

S/T - Jason Hanson and Nick Harris assume the kicking/punting duties once again.

Rock Cartwright was brought in to return kicks, and can compete w/ my 2nd rd pick for spell duties for up-and-comer Kevin Smith. Koren Robinson was brought in to return punts, and compete for a WR spot 3-5.

So this is your 2009 Detroit Lions team.

Goal - Win a freaking football game!!!

Last edited by JBH3; 01-21-2009 at 12:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »