Home

Clarification about MM post

This is a discussion on Clarification about MM post within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Clarification about MM post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Agreed - I was wrong here. You guys can feel free to close this thread up now.
Actually, I appreciate some of the conversation going on in here, and your clarification.

Trust me, there are going to be some rules within the next couple of days that are going to cleanse this forum of the guys that are bringing everyone down.

As posted before, guys like Bezo who post informative and constructive criticism have their posts stay open and good discussion comes from them. Everyone should take note on how that is done.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #34
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I'm trying to KEEP IT from general acceptance, lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #35

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I'm trying to KEEP IT from general acceptance, lol.
fair enough...lol

similar to the way it is your pet peeve when people use it...It is a pet peeve of mine when I use it and am told it is not a word...

irregardless, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #36
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
fair enough...lol

similar to the way it is your pet peeve when people use it...It is a pet peeve of mine when I use it and am told it is not a word...

irregardless, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...
To me the "ir" changes the meaning of the word, like respective and irrespective, I don't see how this word would be any different. I'm going to have a chat with the people at Mirriam-Webster.

Wish there was a way to page TrojanMan to this thread, he's an English teacher.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
To me the "ir" changes the meaning of the word, like respective and irrespective, I don't see how this word would be any different. I'm going to have a chat with the people at Mirriam-Webster.

Lol. I checked at random in this thread, and it's a good thing. Ian is the man, but "irregardless" is not proper usage. The dictionary will list it as a nonstandard word used to mean "regardless." I think the mistake comes from people meaning to say "irrespective," which means "without respect to." That makes "irrespective" a pretty tight fit meaning-wise with "regardless," and people just morph the two. "Regardless" is the way to go, but people will obviously get the drift if you use "irregardles"--and they'll only say something about it if explicitly asked .
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #38

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Lol. I checked at random in this thread, and it's a good thing. Ian is the man, but "irregardless" is not proper usage. The dictionary will list it as a nonstandard word used to mean "regardless." I think the mistake comes from people meaning to say "irrespective," which means "without respect to." That makes "irrespective" a pretty tight fit meaning-wise with "regardless," and people just morph the two. "Regardless" is the way to go, but people will obviously get the drift if you use "irregardles"--and they'll only say something about it if explicitly asked .
Duly noted.

Irregardless, I will probably continue to use the improper usage
Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 7

WOW this thread got a bit off trac... lol
Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Duly noted.

Irregardless, I will probably continue to use the improper usage
The beauty of language is that it's always changing, and the beauty of our land is that we're free to speak how we will. Who is to say who is right in the end?

Back on topic, the beauty of this site is that it's an oasis in the desert of vacuous (at best) and distasteful (at worst) internet forums. Sounds like Ian is appreciative of the kind of dialogue that goes on here, and I'm elated that he's here talking with us about the game. It takes a lot of character to do what he does the way he does it. I can't say I'd be as big about it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »