Home

Running Tips (PS3)

This is a discussion on Running Tips (PS3) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Rookie

sg636279's Arena

OVR: 1
Running Tips (PS3)

Anyone have any tips for running the football? I struggle even running plays I see everyone else constantly getting good yards on..

I was great at it on the older maddens but after a year off I can't seem to find the touch.

I do not want glitches or cheats, I am looking for strictly tips for running with more success. I feel like guys break blocks and get into my backfield too quick
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Running Tips (PS3)

pass soooo good that ur opponent switches to a cover 4 three man rush lol, works for me!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Patience is a virtue. I like to run out of I form play, or anything with a fullback. A lot of your good running plays will be up the middle, between the tackles. Try a lot of slams and stuff like that to get your RB up and past the LoS as fast as possible.

Once your through watch your blocks and look for a way to cut outside, or shoot a gap through the middle if the safties are in Cover 2.

Always try to get past the LoS before you hit turbo when running north and south. A lot of times people hit turbo to early and you'll get tackled at the line or in the backfield since the CPU controlled players tend to notice you a lot more when turbo is down.

Most good running plays get your 4 yards. I average about 2-3 20+ runs a game with D'Will and J'Stew on the Panthers. That's pretty good. Running isn't exactly like passing. Your plays are less exciting that that 20 yard heave, but they are very demoralzing if your opponent can't stop you.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

give it up...the game is broke. play something else and cross your fingers that next year the game will be fixed. this years game was the sorriest excuse for a madden game yet. madden is becoming all hype
Old 02-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

The running game is hard and frustrating.

But one can easily get 100 yards rushing per game, every game on 20/20/20/20 sliders.

Run out of a lot of iform, and full back plays.

Draws against pass defenses work like a charm , and against any defender in zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I really don't find the running game to be that hard. I think it is frustrating in the since that, if you're not used to a ground pound type of game, it's not very flashy. A good running play is 4-5 yards. You want to at least average 4 ypc. That's pretty good, and anything else is great.

If you play 5 minute quarters you aren't going to see 100 yard games week in and week out unless your really commit to the run. I probably average about 90 ypc pretty easily on All-Pro using 5 minute quarters. I do about the same on All-Madden but I'm not a big fan of the way the computer "cheats" on all Madden to even the game out (ala, my running back getting run down by DTs on a 20-30 yard run).

I'm not really good with draws, and have decent success with toss and sweep plays. Tosses and Sweeps tend to be an all or nothing type of deal. If you have a really fast RB they are a good idea. However, with a slower RB (92 speed) you're going to get caught in the backfield a lot. Generally save the tosses and outside handoffs for plays when you know the defense is coming, or they have 8 stacked in the box.

The key to running in this game, and in real life is persistence. It's easy to get discouraged, ESPECIALLY when you take that 1st and 10 handoff for a 3 yard loss, or you only gain a yard or two. Regardless of what you do on 1st down, 2nd down is still a great time to run. One of the goals of running the football is to make your passing game easier by shortening the distance between you and the first down marker. If you can get a 3rd down with 5 yards or less to go the chance that you're going to make that starts to go up astronomically since you can run quicker developing routes, and PA and running the ball comes more into play, especially when you have 2-3 yards to the marker.

That's another thing, neve rule out running the ball with 3-4 yards to go on 3rd down. That's a managable distance. I'm much less likely to go for it with 4 than 3, but you'll really frustrate opponents by running effecitvely to pick up the 1st down on 3rd and 3 or 4. It really screws with people, since they can't just defend the pass, you've always got to be a threat to run.

Also, look at what they've got on the field if you want to run. If they come out in Nickle when you've got 2 WR on the field, run the football. Even in a single back formation you can audible and one of your TEs can slide into the FB position for a blocker up the middle. Look at your blockers too. If you're in a single back formation and everyone has a clear block it's quite easy to run straight up the middle for 5-10 yards.

Blockers are extremely important. The game manages them terribly at times, but if you can see that all your blockers have a easy man to man block, don't be afraid to run, especially if the DBs are in press coverage. If you're in I-Form follow your FB. He may not always block the right guy, but you can often get more yardage just by running behind him. As you get better and better you'll notice running lanes and cut back lanes created by your blocks and you can cut outside for huge gains.

Once out in the open, make sure to use your WRs effecitvely if they're down field. A quick block by a WR is often enough to break that 60 yard run into the endzone. If you're running well in Madden you'll often notice that your WRs have more pancake blocks that your lineman (which is stupid).

Speaking of blockers, always be aware of blitzing LBers and Nickle and Dime DBs. The game does a terrible job of picking these guys up, and a lot of times you'll find yourself getting tackled in the backfield by these guys just because they come in untouched for the tackle. Always try to move TEs and FBs around to block these guys. It's not fun to have to sacrafice your lead blocker, but if it keeps you from getting tackled behind the LoS you need to do it. This is esepcially true when facing a 3-4 defense, where the LBers can be shifted to one side and come through untouched. 4-3 you don't have to worry as much about LBers, but unlike the 3-4 which is vulnerable in the middle, it is vulnerable to the outsides.

Last thing is know where you're supposed to go for the play. A lot of people don't run effectively because they don't follow the play how it's designed. Pay attention to where your supposed to run, ie between the C and RG, or the LT and LG, etc. Just by doing that you'll improve you game. Also don't be afraid to flip the play if that area is clogged with defenders, or even all out audible. If worse comes to worse and the whole just simply isn't there cut towards the closest tackle and try to break it outside.

Remember from above, TURBO isn't your friend until you start getting out in the open. The Defense immediatly reacts and sheds blocks when you press turbo for whatever reason. I tend to tap mine to skirt pass defenders and then wait until I get open or am sure to get tackled before I cram it. Knowing when and when not to press turbo is huge.

Last thing (I promise this time), watch your replays. Not only will this help you get the feel for turbo usage, but it will also help you see the running lanes better. You don't need to watch every replay. Just when you feel like something should have been there go back and take a look. Really keep an eye on where your blocks where, and if you missed them or flat out outran them. Remember, you can somewhat direct blocks by which way you decide to go, so if your FB is in front of you and you need a guy on your right blocked stay behind him and move to your left or right a little bit until he begins to lock onto the player you can wait until he engages the block and then cut behind him to the outside for a huge gain.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
EA Game Changer

KOACHK's Arena

OVR: 12
Lightbulb Re: Running Tips (PS3)

There is a great section in VG Sports Virtual Playbook for Madden 09 called "Running against Fronts" (or something like that), that goes in-depth to explain how to count-off defenders in the box to see which type of run you should do, or what side to run it.

Quick tip: You can also call O-Line slide-protect to the side that you want to run the ball to, or just call O-Line slide-protect down to get better run blocking.
@K0ACHK ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/K0ACHK
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »