Home

Was anyone else disappointed by the Super Bowl announcement?

This is a discussion on Was anyone else disappointed by the Super Bowl announcement? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #49
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Was anyone else disappointed by the Super Bowl announcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't think it mattered when they announced it, people are going to build it up to their expectations regardless. I don't think you can fault Ian for that.

All he did was pick the Super Bowl halftime as the time to release it.
Uh, that's what I'm saying. Again, you can't tell me that he was ignorant of the fact that:
1. People tend to build it up naturally.
2. That tying it to the Super Bowl would make that build up even more.

I certainly can blame Ian, or Phil, or EA for that. They know what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
He never said it was a huge announcement or that it was trend setting or anything to give out false expectations. He simply said to check back during halftime to see the first bit of info about whats going into Madden '10. How people perceive that is on them, not the marketer.

If so, should we get upset for all those that chose to spend millions of dollars to advertise during the SuperBowl? Aren't they sending out "false expectations" or false "hype" by choosing to adveritse during the SuperBowl and pay millions of dollars to do so?
How many people get pissed at Budweiser when they're at home getting plaster without some hot female on their lap? Come on. Marketing is ALL about creating excitement in some of the most subtle ways possible. It's naive to think this sort of thing is not part of the game. Trust me - it is.

Anyway. I'll just leave it at that. We can agree to disagree. Both opinions carry the same weight. I'll just say that this thread wouldn't be here if they didn't choose to announce that it this announcement was coming during the Super Bowl.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 02-02-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #50
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Personally I wasn't let down.

I was following along with the postings, so I understood the news wouldn't be anything earth shaking. But I do understand the point some are making that the "level" of news that was given...for some, didn't warrant the timing.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #51
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I didn't say it's not new to Madden. It's just not new. It's not hard either, so there's no excuse for it to have not been in Madden.

it IS NEW....in the context of madden....whch i can't believe the concept is hard to grasp here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 24

I'm not gonna get worked up about a February announcement, it's the final product that matters. I'll save my rage or love (or indifference) for August.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #53
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
it IS NEW....in the context of madden....whch i can't believe the concept is hard to grasp here
OK dude. If you want to argue with yourself about it. Be my guest. I've made myself perfectly clear. You control the context in which YOU speak. Not mine.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 21

The title for Ian's post was, "The First Official Feature for Madden NFL 10!"

Was I disappointed to see that it was only head tracking with a glorified title? Yes. I've never gone to bed thinking, "boy, I sure wish Madden would include head tracking." If the annoucement was a "playable TV broadcast camera angle," I wouldn't have been disappointed.

But I've been disappointed with Madden for years, so it's really nothing new there.

The original poster asked if anyone else was disappointed. I don't know why guys just can't accept that some of us were and move on.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #55
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

I wasn't disappointed.

The Super Bowl timing of the news was fun, but it also built up expectations simply because the Super Bowl is such an enormous event. It put pressure on the news to be "big," even though Phil said otherwise.

Keep in mind, Ian encouraged us to guess what the news was going to be, which led to responses like Online Franchise. A lot of people read that thread and built up their expectations accordingly.

Yeah, I was hoping for a giant bit of info first, but I wasn't expecting it. So I wasn't disappointed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #56
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Uh, that's what I'm saying. Again, you can't tell me that he was ignorant of the fact that:
1. People tend to build it up naturally.
2. That tying it to the Super Bowl would make that build up even more.

I certainly can blame Ian, or Phil, or EA for that. They know what they are doing.
It didnt' say he wasn't ignorant to that fact, I just don't think you can blame them for people's disappointment because it wasn't what they wanted it to be. Look at it like this, of all the people that chimed in on his annoucement, how many are upset at what it was? I certainly think its significantly less than those who are ok with the annoucement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolierbuzz
How many people get pissed at Budweiser when they're at home getting plaster without some hot female on their lap? Come on. Marketing is ALL about creating excitement in some of the most subtle ways possible. It's naive to think this sort of thing is not part of the game. Trust me - it is.
Never said it wasn't part of the game. Let me ask you this. In the movies that were showcased, should I expect them to be better than any other movie thats coming out this year simply because they were shown/advertised/announced during the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolierbuzz
Anyway. I'll just leave it at that. We can agree to disagree. Both opinions carry the same weight. I'll just say that this thread wouldn't be here if they didn't choose to announce that it this announcement was coming during the Super Bowl.
This thread would be here no matter when they announced this, or least some form of it. I guarantee you. I've been around this community too long to think otherwise.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »