Home

Should the IQ Tests go the way of the dodo?

This is a discussion on Should the IQ Tests go the way of the dodo? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Should the IQ Tests go the way of the dodo?

I didn't think the IQ test worked quite right, especially in the defense part. However, I thought the in-game analysis and slider adjustments worked very well when I started at the base pro setting and let it adjust over the course of several full games. One thing I'd like to be able to see is if the sub-sliders were getting adjusted separately during gameplay (instead of all 3 moving at once), and being able to see what those adjustments are.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
I guess you won't be buying the game then. The IQ feature remains in the game but we're not really adding to it in any significant way. Let me re-pitch this to you with the hopes of making you a buyer again.

If we had decided to remove the feature completely, it actually would have taken time away from developing new features! So we likely would have lost 1 or 2 other features that I'm confident you all would enjoy, just to remove this from the game. Would you rather have that or just have us leave it in there with little cost?

Phil

Is that in terms of the IQ Test or just playing on your IQ? I really enjoy playing on my IQ but I just don't think the tests are good since they don't really protray how things are when you play a real game of madden.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 02-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
If we had decided to remove the feature completely, it actually would have taken time away from developing new features! So we likely would have lost 1 or 2 other features that I'm confident you all would enjoy, just to remove this from the game. Would you rather have that or just have us leave it in there with little cost?
Too bad time went into this to begin with. The fact that you all are abandoning it says a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I guess you won't be buying the game then. The IQ feature remains in the game but we're not really adding to it in any significant way. Let me re-pitch this to you with the hopes of making you a buyer again.

Phil
I'm glad you said that because I think it points to the fact that getting rid of features is a bad idea if it takes away from the overall. But instead what we desperately need is the ability to turn things off that we don't want affecting the game. We desperately need this to be attached to all features and functions that have an impact on how the game plays... the ability to click "OFF".

The thing is, Madden IQ and everything else were great ideas, they just didn't work well. We didn't get the standard and very necessary CPU sliders to salvage the situation, so we either had to do the dummy profile thing or just live with it. I'm sure that most of us here would've turned Madden IQ off and just used CPU sliders if we could have. So that's what we're hoping you guys deliver to us this season; The power of choice so that no feature is forced on us, and we can play the game adjusting to our specific individual needs and not leaving it up the CPU.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Too bad time went into this to begin with. The fact that you all are abandoning it says a lot.
Hey they can't all be winners!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Agreed. Although I don't think it's their intention, but the message they're sending when they abandon a broken feature (after only a single year) and a feature that was hyped quite a bit just shows that it was nothing more than a gimmick.

It makes me wonder how much time they spent removing the vision cone which a lot more users used on an every day basis as opposed to the IQ Test.

I don't think they should take it out if it really detracts from the development of the game, however when they're short on disk space and have to cut back on certain things, then maybe taking the extra time to remove it isn't so bad after all.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

It's an optional feature - which is why it doesn't bother me.

I don't use it. I don't take the tests or monitor my "rating".

I just want to play a fun football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz
Agreed. Although I don't think it's their intention, but the message they're sending when they abandon a broken feature (after only a single year) and a feature that was hyped quite a bit just shows that it was nothing more than a gimmick.
It's certainly not the intended message. The reality of the situation is that we have an all-new design team on Madden this year. You will see that in the design choices that were made on the product. This isn't being skipped because it was a gimmick. It's being skipped because we see other bigger priorities that we want to fix.

The whole adaptability message resonated well with the more mass-market media out there. In that respect, it was a big win. Some would call this gimmicky, some would call it smart marketing. Was it executed perfectly? Of course not. There are things we can do to improve just about every feature in the game.

Phil

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »