Home

The "Little Things" are BIG

This is a discussion on The "Little Things" are BIG within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: The "Little Things" are BIG

The Show looks incredible, but one thing that maybe makes a difference------The Show is PS3 only, so the devs could utilize all the graphical power of one console, vice all three consoles.
Madden can try that, but some systems may suffer from poor framerates. Plus, as mentioned by Phil, XBOX has a smaller harddrive capability, so not everything would fit. Just my opinion...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ARk5
Im sorry but I disagree, FIFA is not on par with MLB the show in the presentation catagory, not even close.
^^^ FIFA's presentation is still done well though, and certainly a lot better than Madden...

With all due respect to MLB Show, a well-presented game, some of those things would stink in football like the jumbotron stuff... I think we can all agree that the jumbotron stuff in Madden is awful and needed to be gone a long time ago. No jumbotron stuff, it's not part of what Networks use to present the NFL. And the mascot scenes are better suited for College Football since you pretty much never see team mascots during an NFL broadcast. You do see cheerleaders though, so Madden needs to add those.

Above all, Madden needs to take pointers from The Show on cutscenes, lighting, a lot of animations especially walking and standing idle, etc. The Show looks like a mature, complete game where Madden has continued to look stuck in first generation software mode by comparison.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
^^^ FIFA's presentation is still done well though, and certainly a lot better than Madden...

With all due respect to MLB Show, a well-presented game, some of those things would stink in football like the jumbotron stuff... I think we can all agree that the jumbotron stuff in Madden is awful and needed to be gone a long time ago. No jumbotron stuff, it's not part of what Networks use to present the NFL. And the mascot scenes are better suited for College Football since you pretty much never see team mascots during an NFL broadcast. You do see cheerleaders though, so Madden needs to add those.

Above all, Madden needs to take pointers from The Show on cutscenes, lighting, a lot of animations especially walking and standing idle, etc. The Show looks like a mature, complete game where Madden has continued to look stuck in first generation software mode by comparison.
The problem with the jumbotron isn't its presence, but its overbearing presence. In the show, it's a nice background detail, in Madden they zoom in to let you know if you got a first down or not or if there's an interception of something of the sort. If it was a background detail, it would be a great touch, but when it's the centerpiece of presentation, that's a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz
The problem with the jumbotron isn't its presence, but its overbearing presence. In the show, it's a nice background detail, in Madden they zoom in to let you know if you got a first down or not or if there's an interception of something of the sort. If it was a background detail, it would be a great touch, but when it's the centerpiece of presentation, that's a problem.
Yep. But in that MLB vid, it appeared to have been a centerpiece thing. Maybe it's just the way they cut the video to show it off, but it looked like it was really being thrown right at you with the "HOME RUN" stuff and all of that. I don't watch Baseball so I don't know if that's how Baseball is presented on TV, but I know that we had this same sorta thing in Madden for years with interceptions, fumbles, injuries... and it's been considered totally lame and I'm guessing it's been considered that because the NFL is never broadcast this way so people see it as fantasy, myself included.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-12-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Well, this is the advantage of having a solid game within the first couple of years of a systems lifespan... They can stop focusing completely on game play and put in "the little things"... As of now, Madden still needs to work on it's foundation, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
First off...that video is incredible...simply amazing what they have done. I am crushed that us 360 owners do not get to play that game.

Yes there is an advantage but I feel this is the wrong way to be looking at this and I really hope Ian and company don't take this same approach. In this day in age, in the competative market of video games I hope they realize that they are way under par and put forth the extra effort to catch back up with what we are seeing in other games. Yes gameplay matters, it matter a lot and there obviously must be solid gameplay but if you notice the headline of that article...The little things that HELP MLB the show shine.

My point is that Ian has a team working on this game and they not all working on gameplay. The little things are a must in todays sports games, IMO they are no longer something that can be added only if the game is a solid playing game. Its a must no matter what! Here is to hoping 10 will give us just that!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 8

The debate shouldn't be over having better presentation versus improvements in gameplay. The discussion should be why at this stage of Madden on the current generation of consoles (5th Madden on the 360!!!!) we don't have a version of Madden that excels in both areas.

There is really no reason why the game shouldn't have a strong and fundamental foundation to gameplay at this point and be adding layers of presentation detail on top of that.

The Show hasn't been around as long as Madden and hasn't been on PS3 nearly as long as Madden has been on 360 and PS3, yet it is lightyears ahead in presentation and probably equal or ahead in gameplay.

Madden, which is the most popular and most recognized sports franchise in videogame histroy, should be the gold standard that other games want to aspire to. Madden isn't even the best EA Sports franchise at the moment, as NHL, FIFA, Tiger Woods, and maybe NCAA are all better. The Madden team should be ashamed of that and aspire to do better.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
The debate shouldn't be over having better presentation versus improvements in gameplay. The discussion should be why at this stage of Madden on the current generation of consoles (5th Madden on the 360!!!!) we don't have a version of Madden that excels in both areas.

There is really no reason why the game shouldn't have a strong and fundamental foundation to gameplay at this point and be adding layers of presentation detail on top of that.

The Show hasn't been around as long as Madden and hasn't been on PS3 nearly as long as Madden has been on 360 and PS3, yet it is lightyears ahead in presentation and probably equal or ahead in gameplay.

Madden, which is the most popular and most recognized sports franchise in videogame histroy, should be the gold standard that other games want to aspire to. Madden isn't even the best EA Sports franchise at the moment, as NHL, FIFA, Tiger Woods, and maybe NCAA are all better. The Madden team should be ashamed of that and aspire to do better.
There is not a word that I disagree with in this post. I'd even say, based on feedback, NBA Live is coming back after this years installment.

There isn't anything we can do about the past, though. It's over and done with. We can't change the past and neither can EA.

I think we are all hoping that with the new team that has been assembled, the game will start to turn into the game the fans are wishing for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Geez, another thread on presentation
Yup. It's obvious it's important to a lot of people including myself. Hopefully the devs will take note and give us what we want; until then I'm sure we'll see plenty more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »