Home

This quarterback delay is killing me

This is a discussion on This quarterback delay is killing me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #33
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: This quarterback delay is killing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Dude. I make adjustments too man. I'm aware of making adjustments before the play. I could make about 2 or 3 adjustments before the cpu snapped the ball.

I shift the line. Crash the line. Hot route my db into deep zones. Hot route my lbs to man up on the half back. Show blitz.

I do all of that stuff man. And I did whatever i wanted to do on that play in about 2 seconds.

I think you don't get it. You shouldn't be able to have time to adjust your entire defense. You can only ahve 2 or 3 max adjustments before each play.

This is not getting geared toward sim. Sim is not adjusting half the assignments for each defender before the play. Its make the necessary adjustments with the play you just called.

Don't call me out for giving my perspective.

I'm sure you've played football too mate. When your defense calls a run blitz, but you see them split out the running back and/or tightend, your defense does a minimal adjustment. You can audible or tell some dude to drop back or something. Defenses usually play the playcall.
Oh no...trust me I get it....in short,you want everybody to be "stick jockeys"....is this "sim" for you?
I never ONCE mentioned ANYTHING about adjusting your whole defense,that is not what this is about......

What EA did was make an attempt to replicate the time needed to make adjustments as the user saw fit,and people STILL complain,and yes..it IS sim,when you see the offense come out in a formation you weren't anticipating,you have to make adjustments.

Using your "theory" about making all those changes in "2 seconds" gives the user NO time to fully examine the offense and make changes if needed...I guess being a "stick jockey" is what now is considered "sim"
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #34
All Star

OVR: 33

Maybe your not examining fast enough then?

I could see what the offense were doing when they broke the huddle. After they got virtually set, you had 2 or so seconds to make any adjustments.

There was virtually no time, but I adjusted my defense.

Being able to manipulate the sticks quickly is imo part of what separates the better uses to the not as good users. I guess thats where we differ in opinion. I believe stick skills is a huge part of Madden.

You should only have time to make at most 3 adjustments when you see the offense. If you see an offense that tricked you. Too bad. You have to audible to a different defense and live with it.

The defense doesn't have the same audibling range as the offense.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Maybe your not examining fast enough then?

The defense doesn't have the same audibling range as the offense.
Defenses must adjust to the offense on EVERY down. The defensive players must recognize the offensive formation and make their coverage checks. If it is a blitz, then the defense must (sometimes) adjust where the blitz is coming from. On "zone" blitzes, the defense will sometimes have to change more than one individual assignment. This is just FUNDAMENTAL football. In a video game, you have to adjust each player individually; lengthening the amount of time before the snap is the LOGICAL way to still allow users to complete the necessary adjustments. I am not saying that the cpu should never quick snap, but there has to be a reasonable amount of between the huddle break and the snap. Also, don't forget about the time of possession and plays per team statistics, the pause allows for these to even out. Lastly, what if the offense audibles, adjusts protection, re-aligns fromations, etc. Should the cpu never be allowed to do those things?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 AM   #36
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Being able to manipulate the sticks quickly is imo part of what separates the better uses to the not as good users. I guess thats where we differ in opinion. I believe stick skills is a huge part of Madden.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.
What you just mentioned is the EXACT problem with Madden,this game shouldn't be based on "stick skills" only,and sadly it has been that way for a VERY long time.

Being able to separate "good users from not so good users" using stick skills is ridiculous,you've already proven by your statement that no real football knowledge is required to be successful.

I just hope that Ian and co. see this,and realize that football knowledge SHOULD be required to be successful,and not rely on "stick skills"...and I use the term "skill" VERY loose.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #37
All Star

OVR: 33

Why shouldn't the game have an element of stick skill. Its a video game that requires buttons and sticks to play.

To remove that facet of the game is ridiculous. Should we make it easier to shoot, move, pass, defend in FIFA to make it pure strategy?

A guy with good football knowledge + good stick skills should be better than a guy with good football knowledge + bad stick skills.

Maybe you are just plain to slow trying to adjust to the defense.

But apparently we're never going to let up on this subject.

But what about the casual gamers? The guys who make no pre-snap adjustments. You're forcing them to wait 10 seconds every time. Thats ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 5

I was going to make a new thread on this, but a search turned up this existing thread. I just want to add that I certainly hope one of the sliders in Madden 10 is to adjust the time it takes for the CPU QB to hut the ball.

It was perfect in Madden 09 before the patch, then afterwards it slowed right down. It's crazy when the CPU is trying to catch up late in the game but they take so much time off the clock just standing there.

It's one thing if Manning is calling some adjustments, it's another if the QB is just standing there wasting time. Or hurrying to the line just to waste time when they get there. Even worse is with kicking the extra point. That point is a gimme, just do it and move on, don't wait around so much!

Please have a slider for this.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
Yeah good one mate, looking out for every Madden user arent we

Or they could include some sort of option if you want the CPU to take quick, medium, long time to take snaps..

I was fine with EVERY other Madden game and NCAA until this Madden 09 patch came and slowed it right down.

Sorry, dont agree at all with you. I think there needs to be more time, kind of. I want varied snaps. Quick counts and long counts. But I want time to adjust my defense. I wish they would give us the option to edit our play in the play selector. For example, if I want just my SS up on the line, Let me move him before I get out on the field. Or I I want the MLB to drop into a flat zone. I should be able to do this before the play.

But for far too long has the CPU quick snapped me right in the middle of an adjustment. I hate not having the proper time to adjust.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebuttababy11
You shouldn't have to wait 10 seconds for the QB to call hike,I understand peeps want to use the playmaker options but this just makes the game super boring and drag on,You should just have enough time to playmaker 1 guy or call an audible if you don't like the offensive set,Again,another weak attempt from EA to cater to peeps that know nothing about football(I've seen guys playmaker all of their defensive line into coverage)instead of playing the game its suppose to be played,in my opinion,this just leads to lazy gameplay by the user,instead of finding the right D to call in a situation,you can call 1 play and playmaker every1 else now.EA needs to find a median for quarter length.Damn,I was getting into this but waiting for the computer on incomplete passes or when the clock is stopped is prolonging games for me,either bring back in game saves or acc. clock.Sorry for the rant.
You should have time to do about 3 playmakers. I don't know how someone that uses playmakers all of a sudden knows nothing about football. I'm pretty inpatient myself, but sheesh, you take the cake.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »