Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog - Improvements to QB Position

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog - Improvements to QB Position within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #209
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
The sim factor came in that you could read the QB's eyes and the QB could "look off" defenders. The QB also had to "look" at his receivers before he threw the ball instead of just chucking the ball up. I understand that some may say it's a gimmick and that's fine. That's your opinion. In my eyes though, there is no other way to accurately reproduce watching the QB's eyes than some kind of cone. Maybe it could be refined, well I know it could be refined to be less intrusive but ultimately there would have to be some kind of cone there.
Amongst my friends, the method didn't amount to more than the user holding the trigger, scanning the field no differently than we did in the past, then double tapping the appropriate pass button. The extra .2 seconds it took to double tap the buttong eliminated the effect on the QB and none of us ever felt looked off. The cone was meaningless.

And I disagree that a cone is necessary. My suggestion here is very similar. It's at least cleaner and it can stop the user from overcoming the effect on the QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
This is always the ultimate debate among Madden gamers. Some say it's a gimmick and some say it's sim. I can understand why some may not like it because of the way it was implemented before, but I don't understand why some would call it a gimmick. According to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. "

How can you say the cone is of no use or relevance? You all may not like it, but it is far from a gimmick. I would be interested in seeing a poll asking who's for/against the vision cone. Either way, I know the results would be closer than the poll asking about keeping/removing lead blocker control. lol
I didn't mean to imply I thought it was a gimmick. I just felt it was ugly & uneffective.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #210
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog - Improvements to QB Position

I having been saying this since the 1st day they announced the PA feature the best thing is QB progressions. Having to look at a wideout before you can throw to him. Its not Peyton Manning vision that separate him from JaMarcus Russell(who has a better arm) its his ability to process information quicker that makes him a better QB. If you make it so you have to change the direction your looking in it'll challenge both players and cpu to read the defenses pre and post snap. And the player cone didnt capture that so it wasnt sim. Every player talks about the speed of the game but it is the info they gain through experience that slows the game down not laser surgery to improve there eye sites LOL. The cone thing was a bad idea and should never make it back
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #211
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I love it...absolutely love it.

Ian- Some QB's throw better on the run like Jeff Garcia, Mike Vick etc...will you accont for these types of athletes?
Will Mike Vick be in the game?? Will NFL ever let him back in???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #212
MVP

OVR: 46

this is amazing I can't wait for madden 10
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #213
Banned

OVR: 29

I know it isn't the best quality, but I think this is similar to what the new QB stuff will be in Madden 10.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #214
MVP

OVR: 24

I wonder how the new ratings can improve or fall. Do we have to complete more deep passes for the deep pass accuracy to improve? It will be interesting to see how they determine those ratings raising and falling.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #215
Rookie

OVR: 6
why not consult real nfl scouts or John Madden himself to figure out accurate ratings for players. It would take some time to do, but the ratings would be a lot more accurate than just a bunch of programers guessing based on stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #216
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altohombre
why not consult real nfl scouts or John Madden himself to figure out accurate ratings for players. It would take some time to do, but the ratings would be a lot more accurate than just a bunch of programers guessing based on stats.
No way John Madden knows the ratings of every player and what is necessary to program a video game. He's a figure head and nothing more. He has probably never even played a game of Madden.

There aren't just programmers guessing based on stats. These guys are football people. EA hires specific guy(s) for rosters whose knowledge of the sport would rival anyone on this board. Nobody's perfect and everyone will disagree on the value of certain players which will always result in arguments no matter who does them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »