Home

Idea for ratings in Madden

This is a discussion on Idea for ratings in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
Idea for ratings in Madden

I was just thinking about how the ratings systems works. It seems like everyone gets upset if their team's players aren't rated the way they want, specifically the overall ratings.

That got me to thinking on how the overall rating shouldn't work the way is does. I believe there should be a overall rating depending on what the player is doing.

For example:

Matt Forte (Bears fan)

He is a good runner, receiver, and blocker with good speed. If you made all of those ratings high it would amount to a very high over all and would intern make people think he is over rater.

If they made an overall rating for each skilled area instead of the overall I think it would make more sense.

Offense
  • Running
  • Blocking
  • Receiver ability
  • Passing ability
These are generally all of the things a player could be doing while on offense. The overall for those areas would be passed on the ratings for that particular task and the players overall awareness, play recognition, athleticism, and size.

Something similar on Defense could be:
Defense
  • Coverage
  • Pass Rush
  • Run stopping
I think you get the idea. That would make a player like Matt Forte maybe look like:

Running: 88
Blocking: 67
Receiving: 75

Instead of the most recent update overall of 92 and that is the only thing people care about. I think this leads people to believe he is a better runner then other backs which isn't always the case. Other backs might be much better runners but overall someone might prefer Forte because he is more of a complete any down back.

That way people can compare each player by what they want to use them for and not just the vague overall system currently being used.

I want to add that I really liked in the first NFL Head Coach game that the players ratings were not static, they were a range. The number for each game was determined by several factors and set before the game. The could base it on things like: mood, health, how well they have been playing, training, and who they are playing.

What do you think of the idea?

Last edited by stux; 02-24-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Idea for ratings in Madden

I think people who use the overall rating system are just silly. honestly I stopped looking at players overall letter grade and started to look at what skills that player had and if he fit my system i was trying to run at the time. I have started overall 70s before because they were what i felt was best for that position.

I do like your idea though but then they might go come on he is a better runner then that and it starts all over again. Head coach had it real nice with what type of player you wanted for the position is the overall that you would have when looking at players. they could bring in that overall setup without adding in play knownledge but i honestly think it would feel empty without it. it just adds more depth
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I think people who use the overall rating system are just silly. honestly I stopped looking at players overall letter grade and started to look at what skills that player had and if he fit my system i was trying to run at the time. I have started overall 70s before because they were what i felt was best for that position.

I do like your idea though but then they might go come on he is a better runner then that and it starts all over again. Head coach had it real nice with what type of player you wanted for the position is the overall that you would have when looking at players. they could bring in that overall setup without adding in play knownledge but i honestly think it would feel empty without it. it just adds more depth
To be honest I wouldnt be upset if they just took overall rating out of the game period!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

The overall is not a proper representation.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

I agree completely with you that overall doesn't mean anything and you win with all 70's on your team if you are using them they way they need to be.

But in past maddens athleticism based skilled and a few other ratings would make a player good no matter what the overall was.

Hopefully, things will change this year with the new ranges they are talking about using.

But using a system like this might help the young kids out and I think the overall has been left in place mainly for that crowd.

Furthermore, it could help out Franchise mode if they used a scheme based system for determining starters like in Head Coach. Some times it is too easy to trade for those great players that have low overall but ratings we know make great players.

So, if the current trade, draft pick, and starter logic for computer controlled teams use mainly the overall rating it could help in that respect also. Providing the new overall ratings are use with the correct logic based on team needs and schemes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

It's just that certain categories have to much effect on the overalls. Like speed and awareness. There are ratings for each player that should most effect the overall.

QB: Accuracy

RB: Vision

WR: Route Running

CB: Coverage

LB: Play Recognition

ect. ect.

Speed should not as big of a factor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »