Home

There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker).

This is a discussion on There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker). within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker).

Just to clarify a point, there are plenty of dc's who play one linebacker on the tight side when they're in the over front and the same lb on the open side when they're in the under front. It really depends on the dc, the personnel, the overall philosophy of the defense, the run fits, etc. What about when the TE trades, the lb's don't trade too. Its not really that big of a deal, except in cases when a team has one bigger, plodding type backer they want to play on the te in under fronts and a smaller, quick, pursuit/cutback type player they want to play on the open side in under. Normal stack or over type outside backers are pretty interchangeable and its fairly common for players to move outside backers inside to play mike too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c dizzy m baby
If you believe Thomas Howard doesn't play ROLB for the Raiders I'd like to see one play of him on the left side. Is it the same for every team, idk. From the few Bucc games I have seen I can't recall seeing Derrick Brooks on the Left side also, but I know for a fact TH plays ROLB for the Raiders. By him saying he plays strong and weak that means he plays the TE if he is on his side or not.

Edit: Just saw videos of Derrick Brooks and he moves around a lot from Left to Right side, but my point was TH plays mostly on the Right side.
He was referred to as a weak side linebacker; TH doesn't play ROLB as there is no such position.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
Yes there is! more than a few people have given examples of defenses who use right and left instead of weak and strong. I don't say you don't have a valid argument here or that the majority of d's don't use weak/strong, but don't simply ignore a fact because it doesn't fit your argument
Actually, they haven't. I'd like you to point out some of those facts.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
Yes there is! more than a few people have given examples of defenses who use right and left instead of weak and strong. I don't say you don't have a valid argument here or that the majority of d's don't use weak/strong, but don't simply ignore a fact because it doesn't fit your argument
http://www1.phillyburbs.com/football101/lb.shtml

Defenses who have LBs that only line up on one side, have very versatile LBs who can play both the weak and strong. This is helpful to the defenses as it limits the offense's ability to create favorable match ups in the running game.

There are some defenses in the League that have interchangable safties that are effective at free and strong saftey so they play both positions depending on where the TE lines up, or where the strong side of the formation is. Now, should we start designating safties by calling them right and left safties ? Because that's how they play in madden.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #69
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnEyedBanditTN
That's not necessarily true. I just checked every NFL team's depth chart. The 3-4 teams use LOLB/ROLB and LILB/RILB in their depth chart. As far as the 4-3 teams, y'all are correct. SLB, MLB, WLB... that's what's shown for all. They could differentiate the "listing" based on a team's base D. I think it wouldn't be that difficult to add code for strong and weak fronts. The secondary... that's a whole different issue... you have passing strength versus run/front strength versus field/boundary. I think the secondary logic could get very messy! I played SS in college. Under my 1st coaching staff, the SS always went to the passing strength and the Sam always went to the run strength. An example... the "Cane" set (3 WR and 1 TE) aka Ace 3 Wide. The Sam would line up on the TE side and the SS would go to the Slot side. Under the 2nd staff, we ran a 3-4 and the SS always went to the field side regardless of formation. We also had field corners and boundary corners... FC always went with the SS.
I've always thought they were labled Will, Mike, and Sam for the benefit of the offense. They make the reads based on what they see on Offense. To an Offensive Line, the Sam could be either right or left, depending on the play called. Come in the Weak-I Right formation, Sam is on the right but come out in Weak-I Left, Sam is on the left.

I'm not a defensive coach though, just an O-Line coach and going by what I teach.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Animal
I've always thought they were labled Will, Mike, and Sam for the benefit of the offense. They make the reads based on what they see on Offense. To an Offensive Line, the Sam could be either right or left, depending on the play called. Come in the Weak-I Right formation, Sam is on the right but come out in Weak-I Left, Sam is on the left.

I'm not a defensive coach though, just an O-Line coach and going by what I teach.
The Will and the Sam require different skill sets; however, players do sometimes switch and play different positions because of the scheme they're in, or they're needed at that position due to injury. The Sam backer lines up on the side wear the TE is at, and the Will lines up on the other. Sam LBs have to be more physical, as they're are typically taking on the TE on running plays, and jamming the TE on passing plays. Will LBs have to be a little quicker because they are typically playing in space, so they're usually not as big as Sam or Mike LBs.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #71
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
Actually, they haven't. I'd like you to point out some of those facts.
Go back and read the thread again. roadman makes a point about the packers, shttymcgee and c dizzy also proved you wrong just to name a few. also I know of plenty of college + high school d's that line up their defense the same way this thread is completely ridiculous because it's based off something that simply isn't true. there is a position known as ROLB in many defenses across the country. just because you aren't familiar with it doesn't mean it doesn't exhist and you continue to ignore people providing facts just because they don't agree with you

Last edited by moylan1234; 03-03-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 13

I like this thread because i agree with the OP. The difference between a strong side linebacker and a weakside linebacker would be very cool to have in this game. Also, if the safeties actually lined up according to strength that would be cool too. This doesn't have to be a universal issue however, it could be a system issue.

Certain systems could suggest packages where they would automatically flip your safeties and or linebackers based on the field position or certain personnel.

OR

They could make it where YOU set how the packages are. Like We used to have an option where 1 corner would shadow a receiver at all times, we could have pre-game options that say LOLB always on the strong side, or the tight end side or whatever. Strong safety always on the boundary side, or the whatever. This way you could leave the default option simple for people that don't care, and you could make it available to people like me that like to make stuff as real as possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »