Home

How will new draft classes convert throw accuracy

This is a discussion on How will new draft classes convert throw accuracy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 26
How will new draft classes convert throw accuracy

With the news of NCAA not having the new QB stats, I would like hear the general idea of how dev plan to give these ratings to imports to madden.

Will it be randomly generated, will you go off of the players ncaa stats, based off their college accuracy, or something completely different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: How will new draft classes convert throw accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
With the news of NCAA not having the new QB stats, I would like hear the general idea of how dev plan to give these ratings to imports to madden.

Will it be randomly generated, will you go off of the players ncaa stats, based off their college accuracy, or something completely different?
Completely random!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 52

It would be generated off of their throw accuracy.

But we can do pretty much anything based on the stats that NCAA provides. I don't think NCAA tracks short/med/long completion percentage or anything like that.

This would be a great thread to get feedback from you guys...what do you think would be the best way to generate these ratings based off whatever stats exist + whatever ratings are passed over?

Donny, feel free to chime in as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
It would be generated off of their throw accuracy.

But we can do pretty much anything based on the stats that NCAA provides. I don't think NCAA tracks short/med/long completion percentage or anything like that.

This would be a great thread to get feedback from you guys...what do you think would be the best way to generate these ratings based off whatever stats exist + whatever ratings are passed over?

Donny, feel free to chime in as well.
If you judging off rating then its pointless cause it doesnt separate good deep passers from good short passers
Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

If NCAA indeed lacks the new throw accuracy attributes, I think a logical approach would be to use the existing throw accuracy in NCAA as a baseline for short pass accuracy, and then decrease for medium and long passes based on the quarterback's career yards per attempt.

One could look at a QB's rushing stats to compute the scrambling rating; typically a quarterback that runs a lot will be throwing on the run a lot as well. I'd add a bit of randomness into this one, however.

No idea what to do for playaction effectiveness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Rookie

ryby6969's Arena

OVR: 5

Lets hope that the "robo qb" is gone from Ncaa or it could lead to some ugly drafts with every qb coming out in the 90's.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I would personally fuzzy it. Just make it somewhat random but based on the single THA from NCAA.

I'd weight the three... say, a weight of 5 for medium, 3 for short, and 1 for long... and make sure that the weighted average equals what the THA from NCAA would convert too in Madden, pre-categorical average. Otherwise, random.

If you wanna put a bit of sense into it, you could set the weights based on THP (the higher the THP, the more weight goes to long accuracy), but I don't think that's really necessary, and I think would, ultimately, make it too predictable.

I don't know if I'm explaining this well... sorry if I'm not being clear:P

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

I didnt think that NCAA exports had their stats tracked because you could never look at them in madden once you imported them. That could be a neat feature all on its own for drafting players in the nfl.(hint hint)

The trouble with doing the career yards per throw is it doesnt take into account if they qb is throwing short routes and the WR are getting an 10 YAC.

I like the QB rushing stats for the throw on the run. Maybe it should also be mixed with the accuracy so the more accurate qbs that rushed and had a high completion % would get a higher throw on the run.

Doing the stats by throw power does and doesnt make sense because not every strong armed QB can bomb it out deep well and not every weak arm QB can nail the short throws.

If there was a way to take both the QB and WR and subtract the WR's YAC. Instead of using the average yards per attempt if it was possible to use the length of each pass he completed like they do for longest pass but subtract the YAC from each play you could get a decent idea of what his accuracy might be. Like he threw alot of short passes, had a high completion rating, and high accuracy he would have a good short range.

As much as I dont like to say this, because I dont think its possible to get all the stats properly for the accuracy, but randomly generating the QBs accuracy seems like the simplest way.

Maybe you could take their completion % and their accuracy in NCAA and make a chart of the total points a player can get for each throw accuracy and randomly insert each point until he no longer has any remaining.(maybe set a max limit a rookie qb can start with but im not a fan of this...but it would prevent seeing a 99 short accuracy)

Ex.QB throws 70% completion and has 99 accuracy. he would have 250 points to have randomly place and could see his arm look like this
Short-88
meduim-74
Long-88

That same player on a different import could end up with this
Short-84
Meduim-88
Long-78

This could add alot of replay value for each draft....I kinda like it now that i think about it

Play action could be based on how many run plays the QBs offense ran to how many pass plays. Or it could be just plain random. This would really be needed to know how the scouting is going to work but we will have to wait for all that.(idea would be to drop verbal hints to a QBs play action)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »