Home

Problem with sideline routes (AI) WR/QB. Will this be addressed for 2010?

This is a discussion on Problem with sideline routes (AI) WR/QB. Will this be addressed for 2010? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Lightbulb Problem with sideline routes (AI) WR/QB. Will this be addressed for 2010?

Just a quick hit here, hoping to get some feedback from Ian. I am in the process on working on my madden strategy, and trying to run sideline routes etc to beat cover 3's and the like. The problem that I have noticed, is that I have a very hard time hitting sideline routes (outs, flats from TE or slot etc...). The problem is that the receiver keeps runnin to catch the ball out of bounds, (very seldomly makes an attempt to keep feet in) and the QB throws the ball to far out, leading the receiver out, as if he didn't know where the sideline was. Now, I can understand if this was an accuracy thing, but it is the norm.
I find I can have success hitting these routes almost immediately after the snap, but thats about it. What made me really notice it, is when trying to work a flood or similar concept. I make the read on the CB, to make sure he isnt in cover 2 zone, because we all know that will be a pick. The thing is, if they run a press, or delayed press, I have to wait to read the coverage, because I would usually hit either the streak from the flanker, or the out/flat from the slot. By the time the press animation is over, my flat guy is almost at the sideline, and almost ALWAYS catches the ball out of bounds, no matter if I use pass lead or not.

So my question is, what can EA do to address this issue? Shouldn't the receiver have enough sense to stand at the sideline and wait for the ball, or if he is still running the route, shouldn't the QB have the sense to put it where the receiver can catch and turn upfield? (assuming accuracy ratings and checks come out positive).

What are your thoughts on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Problem with sideline routes (AI) WR/QB. Will this be addressed for 2010?

For now you pretty much have to throw the ball when the receiver makes his cut which works decently at times and should really be what you try in real life most of the time because that is where the receiver should have the most separation if the defense covers like in real life. This would be much better if they brought back the option for route based passing. The only other way to not throw it out of bounds is to throw it after he stops which is often just asking to get picked off.

Hopefully EA can fix this so you can really make a sideline throw.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

this would really be helpful when running two minute drills
Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
For now you pretty much have to throw the ball when the receiver makes his cut which works decently at times and should really be what you try in real life most of the time because that is where the receiver should have the most separation if the defense covers like in real life. This would be much better if they brought back the option for route based passing. The only other way to not throw it out of bounds is to throw it after he stops which is often just asking to get picked off.

Hopefully EA can fix this so you can really make a sideline throw.
See, thats what I mean, if you throw when the receiver makes the cut, then you haven't had ample time to read the coverage. ESPECIALLY if there is press or delayed press. Not sure how you could fix this. I think the QB should be throwing the ball inbounds, unless you direct it out of bounds, or he throws an errant pass.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Rookie

No one else finds this to be a problem, or do have you all completely forgotten and written off flat routes (other than HB) because of this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Rookie

I completely agree.. the worst it send 2 deep while having your rb run a simple out pattern short to gain a few yards while hoping to either pick up a block or truck someone to turn into 10... second worst is having a designed play in which the rbs do a simple flat pattern and even if you throw the ball after a 3 step drop they catch it with enough momentum to plow the nearest gatorade table...
Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
No one else finds this to be a problem, or do have you all completely forgotten and written off flat routes (other than HB) because of this?
It's probably not being responded to as much because this was addressed a few weeks ago.

Ian responded in the thread, but hopefully it will be addressed.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...een-fixed.html
Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 21

It would be nice if the AI would see a 'conditional' sideline, almost like the warning track in baseball, where the player would be able to branch into a set of sideline-specific animations.

Utilizing the sidelines is a big part of football strategy... whether it's for stopping the clock in the 2 min drill, or the game winning tippy-toe catch in the SB (which this play, by the way, exemplifies the need for more 'touch' on the QBs passes to be able to drop them in over coverage, for more variety between lob and bullet)

• PSN ID: MaddenDew

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »