Home

Concerned about "jostling" animation

This is a discussion on Concerned about "jostling" animation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Concerned about "jostling" animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I know that on streak plays there is a cheat built into the coverage model.

Get on the practice field with a fast WR on the outside and a DB who is 10 points slower. You will find that at the point when the DB is about to get beat he CROSSES IN FRONT OF THE RECEIVER. This is illegal in the NFL because you cannot impede a receiver's progress.
You can't impede the receivers progress by boxing him out, but you can run and jostle so that the receiver doesn't burn you.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
You can't impede the receivers progress by boxing him out, but you can run and jostle so that the receiver doesn't burn you.
I agree. My point was that in '09 there was no "jostling" animation. Defenders just cut receivers off going down the field.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
If any of the developers want to , I suggest to open practice mode, and start by running a slot streak pattern with Andre Johnson, against the cowboys (random defense) And tell me why he CANNOT get any separation from LB Greg Ellis??

I noticed in the blog, there was a comment about the WR's getting open to easy on streaks, and that was one reason why you guys were adding in those ultra cool "jostling" animations. I just see this as slowing down elite speed guys.

My problem is, I notice that the only way a fast receiver can beat a slower DB, is when the QB has a rocket arm, and the separation begins after the ball is thrown. Why can't I consistently hit say, Andre Johnson (97 speed) over the top against 89 speed Lito Sheppard, man to man, when my human opponent comes out in a 4-6 and brings Dawkins up to the LOS???? This to me makes no sense. Schaub may have average arm strength , but any NFL QB can make that throw.

Now if it was Vincent Jackson against a same spped rated CB, in the same situation, he will hit it every time, because Rivers arm is slightly better than Schaub's. Now I am not a Texans fan, so not making a rating's case here. I am making a case for the mechanics to be fixed.

An Elite WR should win these types of one on one matchups a huge majority of the time, unless covered by a top 3 NFL CB.
I agree that in Madden 09 I cannot find an "Elite WR". Neither playing for me or against me have I seen a WR dominate with insane catches like a Fitzgerald or A.Johnson.

To be quite honest I find passing in 09 extremely difficult in regards to fly, post, and comeback routes. Crossing and sometimes slant routes are the only routes you can have success with some consistency.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I've seen WR's outrun double and even triple coverage at times with a fair rate of consistancey over the course of several years. Some guys are just special players.

I think scaling the ratings will widen the gap from tops speed guys and lower speed guys which will allow elite speed rated players a more clearly noticeable separtaion.

And as for the LB's being able to cover WR's deep, trust me...they won't be able to do that in 10 bro.

Yep, I also hope that at times even wide out guys get balls overthrown and underthrown based on ratings, how many times have you seen a wide open guy with the ball just flat out misthrown?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
If any of the developers want to , I suggest to open practice mode, and start by running a slot streak pattern with Andre Johnson, against the cowboys (random defense) And tell me why he CANNOT get any separation from LB Greg Ellis??

I noticed in the blog, there was a comment about the WR's getting open to easy on streaks, and that was one reason why you guys were adding in those ultra cool "jostling" animations. I just see this as slowing down elite speed guys.

My problem is, I notice that the only way a fast receiver can beat a slower DB, is when the QB has a rocket arm, and the separation begins after the ball is thrown. Why can't I consistently hit say, Andre Johnson (97 speed) over the top against 89 speed Lito Sheppard, man to man, when my human opponent comes out in a 4-6 and brings Dawkins up to the LOS???? This to me makes no sense. Schaub may have average arm strength , but any NFL QB can make that throw.

Now if it was Vincent Jackson against a same spped rated CB, in the same situation, he will hit it every time, because Rivers arm is slightly better than Schaub's. Now I am not a Texans fan, so not making a rating's case here. I am making a case for the mechanics to be fixed.

An Elite WR should win these types of one on one matchups a huge majority of the time, unless covered by a top 3 NFL CB.
Something you have neglected to take into account though is the other side of that. That entire fact is offset by the fact that you can't successfully jam a receiver in the game. I've found absolutely NO value in "pressing" a receiver in the game since no jam is ever made. There's a lot more in the receiver/defender relationship that needs fixed than just the "jostling", but every little bit helps.

As for passing they're increased the trajectory of passes ever so slightly over the past few years, but it still needs increased dramatically. Too often linebackers are still capable of jumping up and intercepting passes meant for players 20 yards behind them, even with a lob pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
I agree that in Madden 09 I cannot find an "Elite WR". Neither playing for me or against me have I seen a WR dominate with insane catches like a Fitzgerald or A.Johnson.

To be quite honest I find passing in 09 extremely difficult in regards to fly, post, and comeback routes. Crossing and sometimes slant routes are the only routes you can have success with some consistency.

I second that, they look lost on comebacks, out routes or near impossible, as is a fly if you don't have someone with 99 SPD,

And bump and run coverage truly does nothing, the receiver breaks off easily and BAM hes wide open.

Again 2k5 and 2k8 do all that stuff so well.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexdawg
According to that post somebody of Andre Johnson's size and speed will be a nightmare for CB's like he is in real life and im assuming his route running ratings will be pretty high! This year is shaping up to be a masterpiece and think all they had to do was listen!
With the new Procedural Awareness, ratings, and now Jostling, I'm very, very excited! I'm mean, I'm giddy, and gushing with excitement! It's hard to type the way I feel, but I'm thoroughly excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My brain is about to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber
Something you have neglected to take into account though is the other side of that. That entire fact is offset by the fact that you can't successfully jam a receiver in the game. I've found absolutely NO value in "pressing" a receiver in the game since no jam is ever made. There's a lot more in the receiver/defender relationship that needs fixed than just the "jostling", but every little bit helps.

As for passing they're increased the trajectory of passes ever so slightly over the past few years, but it still needs increased dramatically. Too often linebackers are still capable of jumping up and intercepting passes meant for players 20 yards behind them, even with a lob pass.
You must have missed it all those things you mentioned is being addressed! Dont know if it'll work but i atleast there addressing it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »