Home

My Madden Progression Model

This is a discussion on My Madden Progression Model within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
My Madden Progression Model

My take on progression:

Here are a few of my thoughts on progression. The main point is progression should be DYNAMIC and there should be different types of progression.

1st off players don't necessarily have to start to progress. Like someone said, if he sits behind someone who is better or has a high LDR he should "learn" throughout the season and improve, even if slightly, in the offseason.

Here's an example:

Draft a 67 RG who has med-high potential. He is 2nd string to an 88 RG who has 75 LDR.

1st year he sits and gains some stats, say bumping him up to 70 RG

2nd year he sits and manages to get in on some plays, maybe even hitting a key accelerator, and he bumps up to a 77 RG.

3rd year he manages to get in for a some plays, still learning behind the 88 RG who is now a 93 RG. Gets a good bump up to 82 RG.

Now it's contract time, and maybe he wants to start and get paid. Now you have to decide whether to pay him and promise him a starting role or trade/release him to FA.

Maybe signing him and/or promising him a starting role gets him a nice boost to say 86 RG. That's how it could work on the plus side.

It could also work on the downside

Draft a 67 RG who has med-high potential. He is 2nd string to an 88 RG who has 75 LDR.

1st year he sits and gains some stats, say bumping him up to 70 RG

2nd year he sits and manages to get in on some plays, but he only goes up 2pts to a 72 RG.

3rd year he manages to get in for some plays but struggles, rating bump of 1pt to a 73.

As you can see this player isn't "getting it" and is probably going to be a career backup. But wait!!

Again this doesn't have to happen but can be a branching option.

You move the player (not depth chart him actually change his position) to C. You resign him hoping he can turn it around at another position, maybe he has good size and strength.

4th year he sits and gains a nice bump from understanding the position better, goes from a 73 to a 78.

5th year maybe he gets a huge bump from training camp and battles for the starting position, 78 to a 91 !!!

Now keep in mind this guy was a dud at RG so lets say the user tries to get cute and he has a need at RG again and moves him to RG thinking he'll be a 91. Well he might not drop down to a 73 like he was when he switched but maybe he's only a 79 or something like that. Move him back to C and he's back to his 91 C rating.

Another key point that should be taken into consideration is stat output. There should never be a player who has a good season and drops in rating. Also, if a player has an amazing season, his rating should reflect.

example)

a 77 WR catches 20 passes for 320 yards and 3 TD's. He will follow a normal progression

a 77 WR catches 55 passes for 800 yards and 5 TD's. He will definitely get a rating boost.

a 77 WR catches 80 passes for 1100 yards and 8 TD's. He should most likely be a 85-90 player who possibly even holds out.

and poor seasons will affect good players

a 93 WR catches 20 passes for 320 yards and 3 TD's. He will most likely drop to an 83-88 range.

a 93 WR catches 55 passes for 800 yards and 5 TD's. He will most likely drop to an 88-92 range.

a 93 WR catches 80 passes for 1100 yards and 8 TD's. He will most likely stay the same or go up a point or two.

The numbers might not be exact but I think you guys get my point

These are just a few examples of dynamic progression. I really hope, even if the game doesn't follow this exact model, that progression makes some big strides. These are just my .02 pennies. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: My Madden Progression Model

I am sure at some point a progression blog will be out. Hopefully the Dev's have a good solution for us this coming year.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Banned

thudias what did you think of my model? Do you think it accurately reflects how the ratings should be determined?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

It sounds like a really cool idea to me. It reflects what happens in the real NFL. All the time, there are rookies in Madden under an 80 OVR who end-up over a 90 in later Madden games. This would just make it so that they're naturally progressed in-game how they will be with roster updates and purchases of newer Maddens down the road in their careers.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
thudias what did you think of my model? Do you think it accurately reflects how the ratings should be determined?
I think it is alright I wouldn't be disappointed if this was implimented..I wont go out on a limb and say yes this is it, the end all. I just don't know how realistic this is or if it is in line with what the dev's are going to be doing to revamp progression and regression. I am sure the Dev's are aware there is an issue with progression and regression and they have heard our plea for revamping it.

Not to make a knock against you but since you asked.. I want to see what the guys that get paid come up with. Ultimately, I think there should be even more factors that get equated like learning ability, familiarity with scheme/playbook,coaching, moral due to contracts/playing time etc..

Good ideas though!

Last edited by thudias; 03-03-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias

Not to make a knock against you but since you asked.. I want to see what the guys that get paid come up with. Ultimately, I think there should be even more factors that get equated like learning ability, familiarity with scheme/playbook,coaching, moral due to contracts/playing time etc..

Good ideas though!
Thanks, and I absolutely agree with the bold stuff. My model is just a few examples of dynamic progression. I'm just hoping they think a little outside the box with what they have done.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

^^Ya, that makes since...

^Definitely....

But what will the guys who are working on it actually come up with? That is what we're all waiting for, but, as of yet, they've made little mention of it.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I think you have some good ideas Sway.

At this point though, I'd be pleased if they just had progression based on playing time and performance, that made sense.

I'd like the pre-season to be worth playing. By getting your second stringers some playing time..and have it actually matter progression wise. Also during blowouts. Whatever they come up with for '10'...almost anything will be better than the seemingly random progression they have now.

Last edited by Vikes1; 03-03-2009 at 04:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »