Home

Delay Retirement?

This is a discussion on Delay Retirement? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Delay Retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPhillips
That seems like the drop is just a little to high there. Maybe have it go by position. Speed is a must to go down, Injury and Toughness should drop also with age. A speed decrease is lesser of an impact on a QB or Lineman but for a RB or skilled position it would have a greater impact on their ratings. They shouldn't drop more then 4-6 overall points during a single retirement process. The way i figure it is have random retirements after a certain age. I will just use one position to lay out the ground work. For LBs have it so after the age of 34 some LBs may retire/try to retire while others would play until they hit the age limit (lets say 38) without even contemplating retirement. Make it random so that the "feature" would carry some weight. Ray Lewis may try to retire while someone like Keith Brooking will play until hes 38 and then retire.

Also their moral could play a big part in this. If the player isn't happy he wont sign back at all. He could still sign with a CPU team but he will not sign with your team.
A good way to do this I think is a retiring players progression does not show until you convince them to stay on. If player progression is fixed then they will have a drop. This way you are taking a gamble on whether they will be any good the next season.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 26

This would be a good idea if done 'properly'. Whatever that means
Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Yeah they just have to make sure its a gamble rather than a slam dunk situation. When you bring back a player that wanted to retire you have to pay a higher price in salary (if he was making 6 million make it 8 or 9 million) and make sure the 1 year contract is guaranteed so you cant just end up releasing the guy. The risk is the player's lower overall rating (no more then -5 overall each time) and his lower injury and toughness rating (ratings cant go below 70 for the player so theres still a risk but its worth taking). So you could give the guy 8 million guaranteed and end up with an injury in the preseason and then hes done and your out of the money or you give him 8 million and he comes back with a big drop off in speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
I agree. This would be a nice touch to add to Franchise mode.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
That seems like the drop is just a little to high there. Maybe have it go by position. Speed is a must to go down, Injury and Toughness should drop also with age. A speed decrease is lesser of an impact on a QB or Lineman but for a RB or skilled position it would have a greater impact on their ratings. They shouldn't drop more then 4-6 overall points during a single retirement process. The way i figure it is have random retirements after a certain age. I will just use one position to lay out the ground work. For LBs have it so after the age of 34 some LBs may retire/try to retire while others would play until they hit the age limit (lets say 38) without even contemplating retirement. Make it random so that the "feature" would carry some weight. Ray Lewis may try to retire while someone like Keith Brooking will play until hes 38 and then retire.

Also their moral could play a big part in this. If the player isn't happy he wont sign back at all. He could still sign with a CPU team but he will not sign with your team.
I agree with the 4-6 points not being completely sufficient... I would think at least a 10 point drop to be realistic... I mean an 82 would still progress through the season to become around an 86 or so by the end of the season... and if you really wanted that 76 back you would have to deal with him being like 37 or so...

Morality is also a great aspect but we still some of the weirdest things when it comes to real playters retiring... I mean look at Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan... each had a good 3 years left of solid play and still decided to boiw out at the peak of their career (SB victory)... so I guess it would have to be situational to a point...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

Head Coach's system works pretty well. Unlike past Madden's which have more or less had a "Set Age" that guys at positions retire, HC based it on age, health, personality, and other factors. For example, on my dynasty 6 years' in, Marvin Harrison is still around (and contributing) at age 41, yet Peyton Manning retired at 36.

It should be a lot more random. I've always kinda wanted you be able to try to sway someone from retiring, sort of like NCAA when your stud junior wants to leave for the NFL.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogocutler06
I agree with the 4-6 points not being completely sufficient... I would think at least a 10 point drop to be realistic... I mean an 82 would still progress through the season to become around an 86 or so by the end of the season... and if you really wanted that 76 back you would have to deal with him being like 37 or so...

Morality is also a great aspect but we still some of the weirdest things when it comes to real playters retiring... I mean look at Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan... each had a good 3 years left of solid play and still decided to boiw out at the peak of their career (SB victory)... so I guess it would have to be situational to a point...
Really 10 points? I mean that would almost eliminate the upside of bringing a player back. With regression making a true appearance in 2010 (lets hope) a player will start going down in ratings when he gets up in age so if a player is down to 88 at 33 years old the benefits of bringing back a player with an overall of 78 at a high price is almost none at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Yeah im not talking about having players stay around forever but just a few more years. Have an age limit. A LB may retire at 35 but you can keep him around (at the right price) until hes 38 or 39. Of course every year you bring a player back their overall should drop a few points.

My Vision Of This "Feature"
A LB at 35 years old and 92 overall is contemplating retirement and you need him so you will pay what he wants (high contract but hes still good). He signs but overall drops to 89. Next year hes contemplating retirement again so you offer him a contract and he signs but his overall has now dropped 85. Next season hes going to retire again but the fact that hes gonna cost too much money and his overall could be as low as 80 now tells you to move on and you don't offer him a contract.

Thats a pretty simple process right?
Why should it be a age limit? Vinny Testaverde played until he was 44! I think this is a great idea, but why not let players play until at least 45! I know it's rare but what if someone decides to create a player or even drafted someone, and want to break, say all of Jerry Rice's records, a player is going to have to play a lot of years to even come close. It's a great idea, just want the age limit for players to come back to be some where in the early 40's at least.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »