Home

Delay Retirement?

This is a discussion on Delay Retirement? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Delay Retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPhillips
I don't like that idea. The NFL has to turn over and if you allow every player to play until they are 45 it gets stale. When i start my sim franchise i start with a bad team (Lions) i sign my Create-A-Me player and then rebuild the team. Age plays a huge factor in my signing and trading. If every player played until they were 45 you would have to play 8-10 season before that even becomes an issue.

Limit Age by position. QB 40, RB 35, FB 40, WR 38, TE 35, O-line 40, DE 38, DT 40, LB 38, DB 38, K/P 42.

That would be to my liking.
wow seriously...RBs tend to wear out quickly. Many players have a couple of great seasons(a ton of rushes) and their bodies are so worn out that they cant perform to that same level ever again. This is amplified if they are power runners.

EX. LJ from the cheifs, he had two seasons with 336 and 416 rushes and hasnt been able to get healthy again to be able to perform. What Shaun Alexander has done after his 2005 season is a joke in comparison to his starting years. Jamal Lewis after his 2000+ yard season didnt perform great until he went to the Browns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...bbed-before-30

A FB like Mike Alstott started at 23 and retired at 33(or 34/35 not sure) and for the last 4 years he played he didnt see the ball more then 67 times in a season because he coulnt run it the same and he was hurt/unhealthy.

Jerome Bettis really lost alot of his speed and explosion in 2001 because his body was worn out but he kept playing because he was turned into an every down back into a specialized short yardage.

WikiAnswers has the average starting running backs career length at "The career of the average back is less than 2.6 years". Some may say thats because players come and go because they dont make it but even historically 6-8 good years from a RB was almost unheard of thats why we didnt see that many 10,000 yard rushers until current day NFL where, honestly, its not as hardcore and there werent as many games.

The notion that all players lose speed as they get older is also misleading because there are some players that dont lose a step. Raghib Ramadian "Rocket" Ismail could still outrun alot of the players who are currently in the NFL and he is in his 40s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghib_Ismail

Looking at 09 madden roster and only 62 players that are 35 or older. 14 of whom are K/P. 390-400 are 30 years or older. The oldest RB is 33 and there are 19 of them who are 30 or older and the highest two overalls is 91(thomas jones) and 86(fred taylor). 7 FBs are 30 or older and they are not known for rushing.

With every year having 310 players at the combine you could with your thoughts of players playing at the most 35-40 years max could theoredically see after 19 seasons(every player at the age of 21) 3100 players that are over the age of 30. thats nearly 8 times the current amount in the NFL.

In short, players dont lose ability just because they resign a contract. They lose ability because they are overused, hurt, or are just getting older. It is very rare to see players like Jerry Rice that keep playing when others would retire(hes the only WR to play at that level for that long ever). I might get a hazing from yall but honestly only recently have a few hall of fame players kept playing to the late ages of 35-40(some exceptions) and there needs to be more players wanting to stop playing after a couple of years and there should only be a handful of players that play to a ripe old age.

After all that, I agree that there needs to be the opition to talk players out of retirement but only if they are happy, producing, and/or your team is in a position to make a run for a Super Bowl. There should also be older players wanting to be traded or released if they are on a bad team that has no chance at a SB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
wow seriously...RBs tend to wear out quickly. Many players have a couple of great seasons(a ton of rushes) and their bodies are so worn out that they cant perform to that same level ever again. This is amplified if they are power runners.

EX. LJ from the cheifs, he had two seasons with 336 and 416 rushes and hasnt been able to get healthy again to be able to perform. What Shaun Alexander has done after his 2005 season is a joke in comparison to his starting years. Jamal Lewis after his 2000+ yard season didnt perform great until he went to the Browns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...bbed-before-30

A FB like Mike Alstott started at 23 and retired at 33(or 34/35 not sure) and for the last 4 years he played he didnt see the ball more then 67 times in a season because he coulnt run it the same and he was hurt/unhealthy.

Jerome Bettis really lost alot of his speed and explosion in 2001 because his body was worn out but he kept playing because he was turned into an every down back into a specialized short yardage.

WikiAnswers has the average starting running backs career length at "The career of the average back is less than 2.6 years". Some may say thats because players come and go because they dont make it but even historically 6-8 good years from a RB was almost unheard of thats why we didnt see that many 10,000 yard rushers until current day NFL where, honestly, its not as hardcore and there werent as many games.

The notion that all players lose speed as they get older is also misleading because there are some players that dont lose a step. Raghib Ramadian "Rocket" Ismail could still outrun alot of the players who are currently in the NFL and he is in his 40s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghib_Ismail

Looking at 09 madden roster and only 62 players that are 35 or older. 14 of whom are K/P. 390-400 are 30 years or older. The oldest RB is 33 and there are 19 of them who are 30 or older and the highest two overalls is 91(thomas jones) and 86(fred taylor). 7 FBs are 30 or older and they are not known for rushing.

With every year having 310 players at the combine you could with your thoughts of players playing at the most 35-40 years max could theoredically see after 19 seasons(every player at the age of 21) 3100 players that are over the age of 30. thats nearly 8 times the current amount in the NFL.

In short, players dont lose ability just because they resign a contract. They lose ability because they are overused, hurt, or are just getting older. It is very rare to see players like Jerry Rice that keep playing when others would retire(hes the only WR to play at that level for that long ever). I might get a hazing from yall but honestly only recently have a few hall of fame players kept playing to the late ages of 35-40(some exceptions) and there needs to be more players wanting to stop playing after a couple of years and there should only be a handful of players that play to a ripe old age.

After all that, I agree that there needs to be the opition to talk players out of retirement but only if they are happy, producing, and/or your team is in a position to make a run for a Super Bowl. There should also be older players wanting to be traded or released if they are on a bad team that has no chance at a SB
THIS IS NOT REAL NFL FOOTBALL! They will not make a RB break down in the game if he rushes 1000 times in a single season. Since its a game there needs to be an age where the players can no longer play. Thats why i gave the ages i would prefer that point to be.

I am just going to deal with RBs and FBs because thats the ones you used. 35 years old is a great age for the RBs to retire. Thats the mandatory retirement age i am talking about. They could retire at 32 or 33 or 34 or at 21 if they want but 35 is the limit. For FB i went with 40 because you have guys like Lorenzo Neal for the Ravens whos 38 years old and has played 17 seasons and then you have Tony Richardson for the Jets who is 35 years old and played for 15 seasons. They both are coming back next season and could continue to play for a few more years.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPhillips
THIS IS NOT REAL NFL FOOTBALL! They will not make a RB break down in the game if he rushes 1000 times in a single season. Since its a game there needs to be an age where the players can no longer play. Thats why i gave the ages i would prefer that point to be.

I am just going to deal with RBs and FBs because thats the ones you used. 35 years old is a great age for the RBs to retire. Thats the mandatory retirement age i am talking about. They could retire at 32 or 33 or 34 or at 21 if they want but 35 is the limit. For FB i went with 40 because you have guys like Lorenzo Neal for the Ravens whos 38 years old and has played 17 seasons and then you have Tony Richardson for the Jets who is 35 years old and played for 15 seasons. They both are coming back next season and could continue to play for a few more years.

Also i just want to add that every player that thinks about retiring will not be brought back. Lets say your 34 year old backup O-lineman is thinking about retiring. Hes got an overall of 75. You look at the fact that he is older and has a low rating and you just let him retire. Its that simple. Hes gone.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Also Alstott could have played alot longer but his career was ended by a neck injury.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 26

Dont take it so personal. I said theoredicallyspeaking you could end up with an unreal amount of old players. I brought up the facts of real life and what we should see because of the Health system they had in Head Coach. The health system in Head Coach had players getting hurt if they were used to much(lower health meant higher chance to get hurt in that body part). I would like to think they could have players who are overused lose their health like they did in Head Coach and even maybe add something new and have stat drops because they arent fresh and healthy anymore.

It makes perfect sense because this is what happens to RBs and why alot of teams are switching to two back systems. A fresh and healthy back runs better then one that gets 300-400 rushes a year.

With Josh and company coming over from head coach Im hoping they take this feature and add it in because it made hiring a player like Dan Morgan worthless because he would get a head injury very quickly if you played him alot. Also it goes along with the theme if you see it on sunday....Most players who are overused dont last. Sure with your system it would help some by capping players but what about those who quit early and those who play more then anyone else? And why would a player lose overall just because he resigns a contract? It doesnt make and realistic sense. If they lose overall because they got hurt, old, or overused sure it does but not because they are talked out of retirement.

About the A train....He had 188 rushes with 588 yards total in his last 4 years with an average per rush of 2.9 yards. Grant it he only played 50 games out of 64 total but his numbers were horrible in comparison to his prevous years when they used him alot. His neck injury affected him most in 2007 where he was placed on IR. Yes, he may have been able to play longer if it didnt happen but because he ran so much and so hard he couldnt play at the same level for the end of his career and it in turn ended his career.

I would like to have a conversation about this besides you saying its a video game itll never happen
Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #30
Fox
Rookie

OVR: 3

It is a video game, but the developers say they want to emulate real football as closely as possible.

They should just use HC09's Health system. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
It is a video game, but the developers say they want to emulate real football as closely as possible.

They should just use HC09's Health system. Worked like a charm.
Well said. How HC handled health and retirements was gold
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #32
Fox
Rookie

OVR: 3

Then again, the way HC09 handled just about everything was gold, or at least silver.

Import it into Madden and we might hit bronze.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »