Home

QB Contain is the stupidest thing ever

This is a discussion on QB Contain is the stupidest thing ever within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
QB Contain is the stupidest thing ever

Since it's inception, this feature/assignment has caused nothing but problems for the game. It was the reason for the 3 man crash nano last year. And it's fundamentally unrealistic. No coach ever tells his player to run wide and just stand there at the LOS. Contain rush needs to be incorporated by default. The idea that there's some hot route where players run wide, stand, and then get "activated" to rush the passer when he exits the pocket (and at that point become virtually unblockable) is unrealistic to the core. Seriously, how many people have EVER seen a player do anything on a football field that resembles what you see with the QB contain assignment?

If we're talking about taking this game apart and fixing the things that you "wouldn't see on Sunday", then QB contain needs to be on the short list. I don't know what you want to replace it with (maybe those fake rush hook zones, that would be cool, or maybe some sort of loop/outside angle rush) but this assignment is stupid and does nothing other than point out how fundamentally flawed the OL/DL interactions are.

I know that fixing the OL/DL stuff is a priority this year, and I hope that as a part of that, we can finally say goodbye to this stupid feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: QB Contain is the stupidest thing ever

I think EA just added it because of their sticky blocking. I've seen what is called a Mush Rush but it doesn't play out like the DE contain in EA's games. With the Mush Rush the object is not to get after the QB but to force him to stay in the pocket and force him to pass it. I've seen the Colts use it at the end of a game two years ago against the Titans to force Vince Young to make the terrible decisions that he makes while in the pocket. But, the Mush Rush played out nothing like EA's DE Contain.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Realistically, the outside blitzer is given the assignment of "QB contain", whether it be the end, a linebacker or a blitzing DB. And it's nothing like the game, because they still go for the sack, but just make sure they go for the outside shoulder so the quarterback doesn't get outside of the pocket.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

I think that QB contain is needed until the DL loop works correctly for DEs....If the DEs are told to loop they should protect the outside of their body from being blocked. all in all keeping contain.....and that doesnt happen in madden
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Gotta agree with the OP.

This play needs to removed. I understand why it was added but, it's silly and unrealistic. No team has this play in their playbook IRL.

Hopefully, this is the year where OL/DL play actually mimics football and they can finally junk all of those QB contain plays.

They are all a joke IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 31

If they had real OL/DL interaction....but we can only say that so many times right?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

LOL qb contain is hilarious. but because of maddens 'broken' mechanics you have to use it in order to stop the QB from running sideline to sideline at will, even to protect yourself from the QB rolling out and getting 5-10 seconds of extra time to throw. so EA has to fix the mechanics before they ever take itout

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »