Home

Something Else I hope The Developers Look At (Audibling Down and Pinching D Line)

This is a discussion on Something Else I hope The Developers Look At (Audibling Down and Pinching D Line) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Exclamation Something Else I hope The Developers Look At (Audibling Down and Pinching D Line)

If you're not aware of what audibling down is, let me explain. This is something the cheesers carry in their toolbox. They come out in dime or quater personnel and audible down to a base D like a 4-3 or 3-4.

This is effective because speed is everything in Madden. Basically, the dime/quater defenders are able to run around the blocks if you try to run and expose this D. An easy fix for this would be not allowing audibles to another formation that your personnel doesn't match. Maybe these "new" ratings will help solve this, but I think the problem has more to do with general game speed rather than ratings.

Pinching the D line in 3 man fronts with dime and quater personnel is also abusing. Basically this works because you can completely jam the middle which should lead to an easy outside run but it doesn't. The reason is the same as above, speed. In this scenario a run to the outside ought to be money, but because of the speed factor the small defenders are able to run around the blocks on the outside and make the tackle. Again, maybe the new ratings might fix this.

An easy fix for this would be to take out pinching the line in any formations with a 3 man D line besides a 3-4 base defense and maybe nickel packages with 3 man D line. There is absolutley no reason for it to be in quater D at all.

Any thoughts on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Something Else I hope The Developers Look At (Audibling Down and Pinching D Line)

There shouldn't be any restrictions on pinching. Or audibling down. A 200 pound player should get destroyed by a 300 pound player. But size makes no difference in neither NCAA nor Madden. That is one of the most important things that needs to be fixed.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Something Else I hope The Developers Look At (Audibling Down and Pinching D Line)

They do need to restrict the audibling up and down on offense though. It's stupid. Defense they need to restrict it to IMO. Instead of audibling up and down to different formations like from 4-3 to Dime 3-2, or from Quarter to 4-3, what they need is to have you audible into multiple fronts for each particular defense instead of this childishness that goes on.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

It's not just the size factor. A lot of the problems are related to bad run blocking logic, where your blockers don't even attempt to block the right guy. Here's a video that I made for NCAA, so some of the problems might not be as evident in Madden, but I think the underlying point is still valid:

http://files.filefront.com/quartersc.../fileinfo.html
Old 03-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Pro

Senor_Herbatron's Arena

OVR: 21

It's dumb to even bother playing guys like this. That's why you find a nice place with "sim" players who play true to life. That way you don't have to worry about bogus crap like this.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Multiple audibles on offense/defense need to go .......period.

If you audible more than 2 times, it should trigger false starts and offsides penalties.

No team audibles at the line more than once IRL.

Peyton Manning is probably the exception.

He does alot of bogus animations at the line, when actually he isn't even changing the play half the time.

Multiple audibles should result in penalties, from now on IMO.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

To a point I agree that multiple formations should not be allowed to constantly be audibled. The only problem I see is when you do run into those people online that constantly run nothing but No Huddle offense and flop back and forth between I forms and different versions of shotgun formations. The main issue I see is for instance I am playing as Denver (in 09) and they run a base 4-3 defense... while playing the Patriots who run a ridiculous type of offense (pass heavy). If they come out with 2 WR, 2 RBs, and 1 TE ... I can call a cover one and audible a LB to blitz to help prevent the run... the issue is after that 3 yard run say the guy calls a no huddle audible to a Gun set with both RBs lining up on the strong side forming a trips pattern... well even though I still am only dealing with 2 WRs / 2 RBs and a TE... the backs are considerably faster than any LB I am utilizing to attempt to cover them with. If I stay in the 4-3 and utilize a simple man defense... I can get burned on outs or simple curls, yet if I throw a zone coverage out I have to watch for deep posts or slants. I understand that is a part of life and the NFL in general... but I should at least be able to flip to a nickel cover moving at least 1 LB to a better suited position.

Now being able to switch from a dime/nickel/quarter D to a goalline or something is a little ridiculous... but also happens at times even though substitutions would most likely happen as soon as the situation arised.

Tough to argue either side I mean at times it is necessary and also at times is very frustrating...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogocutler06
To a point I agree that multiple formations should not be allowed to constantly be audibled. The only problem I see is when you do run into those people online that constantly run nothing but No Huddle offense and flop back and forth between I forms and different versions of shotgun formations. The main issue I see is for instance I am playing as Denver (in 09) and they run a base 4-3 defense... while playing the Patriots who run a ridiculous type of offense (pass heavy). If they come out with 2 WR, 2 RBs, and 1 TE ... I can call a cover one and audible a LB to blitz to help prevent the run... the issue is after that 3 yard run say the guy calls a no huddle audible to a Gun set with both RBs lining up on the strong side forming a trips pattern... well even though I still am only dealing with 2 WRs / 2 RBs and a TE... the backs are considerably faster than any LB I am utilizing to attempt to cover them with. If I stay in the 4-3 and utilize a simple man defense... I can get burned on outs or simple curls, yet if I throw a zone coverage out I have to watch for deep posts or slants. I understand that is a part of life and the NFL in general... but I should at least be able to flip to a nickel cover moving at least 1 LB to a better suited position.

Now being able to switch from a dime/nickel/quarter D to a goalline or something is a little ridiculous... but also happens at times even though substitutions would most likely happen as soon as the situation arised.

Tough to argue either side I mean at times it is necessary and also at times is very frustrating...
While someone could do that, the RB's route running and catching should also come into play. Unless they are using Faulk then the other backs should not be catching as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »