Home

Draft Question (franchise mode)

This is a discussion on Draft Question (franchise mode) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Draft Question (franchise mode)

Just curious if any of you have "House Rules" relating to drafting in franchise mode? For example, when I take over a team, I usually try to do most of my rebuilding thru the draft rather than sign a bunch of Free Agents. I like to trade away a few older, high-priced, and higher-rated players for draft picks so I can pick up some extra draft picks and develop a young team. The problem is it's too easy to make trades and load up with a bunch of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, thus over-loading a team with a bunch of top young players (too unrealistic). I remember one year the Jets actually had three picks in the first round, however that is obviously rare.

Do you guys set any guidelines for yourself to limit the number of early-round draft picks you end up with, or for that matter do you have ANY other specific rules you applu to drafting in franchise mode?

Thanks for any feedback ... can't wait for Madden 10!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Draft Question (franchise mode)

My only house rule before the drafts in years past was to save beforehand, that way the 1st Rounder I used on a WR who ran a 4.35 40 doesn't come into the game with 80something speed and sup90 acceleration.

The other thing that bothered me about the drafts was the contracts were ridiculous. I remember picking up a MLB at the 17th spot or so, and he was asking for a base salaryy of $6mil/yr plus the bonuses.

As much as I hated it, it was cheaper and easier to build a team through FA then the draft. Hopefully the Head Coach guys fix this
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 11

I used to try not trade up for higher picks. These days i just do anything. I always end up picking players i like over players i need. I fill the needed positions after in FA. I'll probably be less reckless with my drafting next year
Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

A few rules I follow:

1. When trading draft picks, don't use Madden's valuation system. Instead use a draft pick chart like this to determine value:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

Notice how difficult it is to trade up under those values.

2. When trading your players for draft picks, undervalue your players heavily. While that solid veteran player may be worth a first day pick Madden, their value isn't anywhere near that in real life. There is not set formula for doing this; just pay attention to what NFL teams are willing to give up and try to follow that. More often than not, I would recommend just cutting your aging players if you don't need them anymore if you are aiming for realism. For example St. Louis couldn't trade solid veteran players like Orlando Pace or Torry Holt for anything; Pace was just cut and Holt appears to headed in the same direction.

3. When trading, make sure the trade makes sense for both parties. Madden's logic isn't perfect, and you may need to look at the roster of the other team to make sure that the players/picks improve their team. If the players don't fill a direct need, significantly reduce your compensation or find a new team to trade with.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
A few rules I follow:

1. When trading draft picks, don't use Madden's valuation system. Instead use a draft pick chart like this to determine value:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

Notice how difficult it is to trade up under those values.

2. When trading your players for draft picks, undervalue your players heavily. While that solid veteran player may be worth a first day pick Madden, their value isn't anywhere near that in real life. There is not set formula for doing this; just pay attention to what NFL teams are willing to give up and try to follow that. More often than not, I would recommend just cutting your aging players if you don't need them anymore if you are aiming for realism. For example St. Louis couldn't trade solid veteran players like Orlando Pace or Torry Holt for anything; Pace was just cut and Holt appears to headed in the same direction.

3. When trading, make sure the trade makes sense for both parties. Madden's logic isn't perfect, and you may need to look at the roster of the other team to make sure that the players/picks improve their team. If the players don't fill a direct need, significantly reduce your compensation or find a new team to trade with.
Good feedback! Most of my moves involve trades of a player from my team for a draft pick from another team ... similar to the trade KC did with the Vikes last year for DE- Allen. I really wish Madden would improve the logic so the cpu teams would only accept trades that made sense for them making the whole trading process more fun. Having to police yourself kind of kills that aspect of the game?

Funny thing is there are some trades that happen in real life that Madden does not agree to like the Cassell for a 2nd round pick deal. I tried that today just to see if it would go and the Pats turned it down! I'm just trying to come up with some good rules to make trades as realistic as possible to enhance franchise mode. Maybe this will be improved in Madden 10 .......?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Banned

Ian or Donny,
Any feedback on potential changes relating to the draft and player trades in Madden 10 ....?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

the draft logic is such crap in '09 that I have to control all 32 teams to do a franchise or else every QB and RB will be gone by pick 20. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to see the Giants, Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Redskins drafting QB's in round one every franchise.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
the draft logic is such crap in '09 that I have to control all 32 teams to do a franchise or else every QB and RB will be gone by pick 20. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to see the Giants, Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Redskins drafting QB's in round one every franchise.
I've done that as well, but what a drag controlling every team! That really makes trades unrealistic, because it puts YOU in charge of BOTH teams?

Another thing that really makes the draft bad is it is extremely rare you find a difference-maker outside of the 3rd round. Look at most of the NFL rosters and you'll see alot of players from the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds that turn out to be exceptional players ... especially lineman. In turn there are also a significant number of failures out of the 1st, 2nd, and 4rd round in the NFL.

For franchise mode to really work well, this aspect of the game really needs to be improved!

Last edited by Steeler99; 03-11-2009 at 01:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »