Home

arm length should be a factor in the game

This is a discussion on arm length should be a factor in the game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
arm length should be a factor in the game

Does anybody else agree with me when I say that arm length should be a factor when it comes to player models, like receiver with longer arms should have an advantage when going up for the ball or being a better weapon for QB's with low accuracy. kinda like Plaxico Burress. this could also affect the way OLs, DLs, and even DBs play.

what do you think
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: arm length should be a factor in the game

now this, is a great idea
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

I really like this idea. I know most people's arm span is about equal to their height but there are some people with longer arms than average for their height and this can really be an advantage. When I played DE in highschool I was only 6'2" but my arm span was around 6'7" and those extra couple inches of reach add to the amount of ground you can cover, the height you can reach to tip passes, and makes those tackles and sacks that you would otherwise just miss become successful tackles.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBernard
now this, is a great idea

now im not saying that if implemented well this couldn't add to the gameplay but out of all the other things being floated around to add to game realism (ie; dynamic attendance, active sidelines) you're main concern is the length of a players arms?? by your logic shouldnt they be working on "more important" things then arm length??
Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Getting this accurate would be hard
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodImmigrant
Does anybody else agree with me when I say that arm length should be a factor when it comes to player models, like receiver with longer arms should have an advantage when going up for the ball or being a better weapon for QB's with low accuracy. kinda like Plaxico Burress. this could also affect the way OLs, DLs, and even DBs play.

what do you think
while arm length should play a role, it shouldn't be the only factor. Jump factor should play into it as well.

What if a player with shorter arms can jump higher than a player with longer arms?

So to say players with longer arms should always have an advantage is a stretch, but I do understand what you are saying.

ex: The WR's arm reach is two inches longer than the DB's yet the DB can outjump the WR by 1 inch. The DB should still have the advantage.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrat005
shouldnt they be working on "more important" things then arm length??
considering everybody wants the ol/dl interaction fixed this year, Andy would say arm length is pretty important for the offensive lineman

the falcons were criticized by some for selecting Sam Baker in the first due to his arm length

so, we could want a very important part to the ol/dl interaction, or stands that get empty towards the end of a blowout

Andy believes in you to make the right decison
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodImmigrant

what do you think
Yes I do think this should be a factor in gameplay, and yes I would love to take full advantage of Plax in the endzone with his leaping, arm length, and height.

However, I don't see why this sort of nuance would be achieved as the ball still warps to the players hands anyway. Even if the guy has short arms on a jump ball, the ball reanimates to fit in his hands.

- On a positive note for your idea though, it would be cool if they added this plus a "Catch with awayy from body vs. body catch rating" Guys like TO tend to have gator arms and let the ball come all the way into them, while guyys like Fitzgerald always seem to pluck the ball awayy no matter how far away the ball is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »