Home

Madden Draft Classes

This is a discussion on Madden Draft Classes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Madden Draft Classes

Scripted classes are nice but only if there is some randomness within them. I don't want to look at the class and know who the steals and busts are. There really needs to be some randomness to the potential and to the ratings of the players if they do this. I would probably rather see them just actually fix the generated classes.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Scripted classes are nice but only if there is some randomness within them. I don't want to look at the class and know who the steals and busts are. There really needs to be some randomness to the potential and to the ratings of the players if they do this. I would probably rather see them just actually fix the generated classes.
There are only 10-15 players per class that are fully scripted. Jack English, for example, is your guaranteed #1 pick in the first draft of his class. He's John Elway on steroids right out of college (generally progresses from 75 to 85 in about a half a season, usually a 99 by the end of his second).

Those players are the same each time you hit the draft classes. All the rest's names change. It's just cool as hell to hear updates about those players all season long and be anticipating the draft starting the first week of the regular season before the draft.

I really would love to see a Madden version of some of the classic players from Head Coach. Jack English is the biggest name, but there are plenty of really cool players that would be fun to have in Madden.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There are only 10-15 players per class that are fully scripted. Jack English, for example, is your guaranteed #1 pick in the first draft of his class. He's John Elway on steroids right out of college (generally progresses from 75 to 85 in about a half a season, usually a 99 by the end of his second).

Those players are the same each time you hit the draft classes. All the rest's names change. It's just cool as hell to hear updates about those players all season long and be anticipating the draft starting the first week of the regular season before the draft.

I really would love to see a Madden version of some of the classic players from Head Coach. Jack English is the biggest name, but there are plenty of really cool players that would be fun to have in Madden.
Yes, there are only like 15 fully scripted but I don't like knowing who the biggest 4 or 5 steals are going into a draft. Part of what makes them steals is that people don't know how good they are.

Tom Brady for instance, do you think the Pats would have risked other teams takings him with all of those picks ahead of them if they had known how good he really was? Same for Marques Colston, if the saints knew he was one of the top receivers in that class would they have really passed on him in the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth round? This could be said about any steal. If the team knew they were that good they would have drafted them earlier. The not knowing is the excitement of a steal.

The same goes for busts. If the chargers really thought Ryan Leaf was a bust would they have drafted him? Same with Tim Couch. Same with any draft bust in history.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I was not a fan of the scripted draft classes.

While I appreciated the effort that went into giving players a backstory and a history, I hated knowing who the would-be superstars were before I even began scouting them.

I would go into the HeadCoach forums and see people posting things like, "I just drafted some guy named Flash Gordon in the 5th round and his skills are amazing! Look for him in your drafts guys, he's a sleeper in this game!"

Sports-games shouldn't have spoilers. I'd rather have the drafts randomized to minimize the predictability.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I have never played Head Coach, but why do you say 3 paths of 15? Could it be 9 paths of 5? In Head Coach are you able to pick a specific draft class (as in #20, or #45), or are you randomly given a class?

I have to admit that does sound intriguing because when you think about it, only 2-3 NCAA draft classes include real players anyway? Having in-depth generated draft classes with player back grounds, etc could really enhance franchise mode. Of course this assumes player ratings are also realistic?
Sorry did see your post.

In head coach there are 4 different draft classes that you can get. At the start of your very first season at the end of the preseason you find out which one you get. the best way to put it is they go in order. So the starting draft number for each one is 1,16,31, and 46. it would look like this 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, 46-60 there is no way to get another number but the next number so if I get draft 1 then the next one is 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6...ect ect.

I had said make 60 total classes and instead of going 1,2,3,4,5,6 they should make a list that the CP can check off each class the player does randomly so you could go 45,60,2,4,23....and each time you have a draft the CP takes that number off the list and it prevents you from doing the same draft over again in a single francise.

I honestly dont care for this idea but if thats the only way to get scrpited players then....the only reason I dont like it is because there is still the fact that number one draft will always be number one draft and you could find out the steals. On a scale of 1-60 its alot harder and its all random so you cant plan what players you will draft in advance before they ever come out. Bu tthe spoiler remains and could ruin the replay value.

EDIT:
When I say scripted players I mean I would like to know their background besides they are 21 years old from Florida standing at 6'2" weighing 220 pounds. I want to know that they struggle in big games or they something so even if it doesnt mean anything I can role play it.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 03-11-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm with the OP on this one. I think the scripted draft classes added some personality to the whole scouting and drafting process. I love knowing a little more about the players I'm interested in.

P.S: Who goes beyond 15 years of franchise anyway? I've yet to go beyond 8. Amazing how much Madden you guys play...lol...
Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 12

I have been tossing out idea about the draft for some time.

I really liked the ticker setup in the first Head Coach was pretty cool. There need the first round busts and late round gems. There needs to be some players that are predetermined stars or bust, this number could a hidden potential ratings and could be randomly based to keep everything less predictable.

Ultimately, I want some players that I draft to just improve (more so if they play a lot and play well), some players to not improve (play time and stats not to effect it too unless they are super stars for several years), and some players that aren't predetermined. Could work like a Potential rating POT where 50 would be the ones that aren't predetermined and over 50 improve (the higher the number the more so) and less then 50 don't improve as much (the lower the number the less likely they improve. They would need to make the number realistic. There should be a ton of players in a draft with 99 for POT and less likely as the players fall into later draft picks. I am sure someone with more time then me could do some research into the last 15 drafts and see which players become stars or busts percentage why by each round and base the variables range on those findings.

My belief is they need to have some college stats for these players. Tell us who the Heisman winners and candidates were. If they really wanted to get detailed tell us what college records they hold (and keep track of it from year to year). Shows us the top rated players by position and their statistics.

Letting us know who was in the top bowl games and show some stats of the top players of each. Give us several Mock drafts.

Injuries should play a big role as well. Some injuries should continue into NFL as nagging injuries.

More background information would be great. Like the few players per year you are talking about in last years head coach.

It should also be something that is lead up to though the regular season. Show us the college stats each week. Show us the Heisman hunt, college rankings, and the top 25 or so player stats by position. Allow us to scout each week. Have the scouting give us ideas as to the hidden POT rating and reoccurring injury issues. The quality of the scouting information should be based on how good the scouts are we have scouting.

There is so much more they can do with the draft then what we have had if some thought is put in that would not only make the draft more enjoyable but add depth throughout the season and signing scout contracts.

Sorry this post got a little lengthy.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

I love the OP's idea, but I do have to say it should be tempered with some randomness. Taking Jack English for example, I don't think there should be a specific name that could pop up during any draft class that you would instantly recognize as being pure gold. I love the fact that he's there and there's a story behind him and all, but I want the draft to be a challenge in and of itself, and knowing this about a player would take that away.

Perhaps the names and stuff could all be completely random, but there could be a template or a set of variables to which each draft class would have to adhere. Scouting, interviews, bits of information, and measurables would all feed the process of how to intuit who's the right pick. It'd be part of learning the game. So say out of three draft classes there is one or two truly great, all-time players. If you figure out what you're doing, you can spot 'em.

So my take is that you randomize every draft class, but have certain scripts that instill each draft class with permutations from a pool of variables. For example, say there's a variable of a toolset for QBs that is the complete package: strong arm, durable, accurate, a leader of men, intelligent, etc. The AI of the game should be able to not even include this variable in a draft class, or there could be up to two or three in one (a la the '83 draft). So you never know what you're gonna get each year, but you sort of do if you scout properly and examine the information at hand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »